• May 13, 2024, 01:18:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My LED headlight design  (Read 4390 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: My LED headlight design
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 06:40:16 AM »

I am interested, but might pay for a better-built setup for replacing the existing bulb. I also want to pass vehicle inspections. :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »

Those are a lot cheaper than my Denali D2's >_<

As for dimming I would never dim during the day. When I drive my car I even turn the high-beams on during the day since I rarely use them at night. For my bike the high-beams are also on during the day. I like to stand out.

The bike is one thing but modern car headlights would dazzle even during the day.  Im sure dip beam would be sufficient for visibility.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »

Those are a lot cheaper than my Denali D2's >_<

As for dimming I would never dim during the day. When I drive my car I even turn the high-beams on during the day since I rarely use them at night. For my bike the high-beams are also on during the day. I like to stand out.

Keep in mind my headlight is low beam only. If you ride your bike with your high beams on that means your low beams are off. So with my setup you could leave the aux lights on during the day since those are technically the high beams for this setup. (2x 10 watts so it's still way more efficient than the stock halogen(and brighter; each aux light is 1,000 lumens))

It's nice to have the low beam turn on and off automatically to save on power (and i guess increase lifespan even though I doubt the lifespan of an LED will ever be an issue lol) Plus, the low beam hardly makes the bike more noticeable during the day anyway. The whole point of projector housings are to reduce glare.

I personally only use my aux lights if there's limited visibility or when I want to flash them at people who cut me off.

I do agree that Daytime-running-lights improve safety and there's a lot of data to back up that claim. That's why I have the LED ring as my DRL. It's more efficient than the low beam AND appears much brighter during the day. So that's why I want low beam off and DRL on during the day. I want it all automatic so I don't have to mess with flipping switches.

Lastly, I still have my aux lights as a reserve to flash them at people during the day.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 04:51:07 AM »

My denali's are always on, they have a high / low setting and I have wired them so I can toggle between high / low at will or have them follow the high/low switch on the handlebars.

My headlight is an 35w bi-xeon 6500K projector lens HID mounted into a stock housing with a vacuum formed acrylic lens cover I made for it. It wont pass inspection this way and I have to put my other headlight back on when I get inspected. The three lights, the headlight / denali's form a large triangle in the front. The denali's are also 10w each.

Here is a blurry pick of the setup
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71805301@N05/7653581178/#

Here is a better clear pic from the side while in NY for my week long riding trip
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71805301@N05/7726278782/#

In case your wondering it took me about 4 hours to mod the light. I had a CFL halo ring to install in this setup but I broke it >_< Man I just noticed there is a ton of photos on my flickr I can do historical blogs about. Need to get my WP site up and running!

Modifying to add a story about the lights:
So I was near the rear of our ninja 250 pack going down some insanely twisty mountain roads and when I come to a stop at the bridge near the end one of our guys said "That was you?!" "What do you mean," I replied. "When we were coming through the shaded section of road back there I looked behind me and saw a Harley and was like, when did that Harley join our pack. And after rounding a couple of corners I thought 'God damn that Harley is hauling ass!" And everyone broke out in laughter.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 05:05:38 AM by Burton »
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 06:20:05 AM »

I used to have a similar xenon setup on my bike. I didn't like it. Even though is was rated 6000k the light was much bluer than my 6500k LED. The light wasn't as uniform either. Some spots on the beam pattern were brighter or bluer than the others. Also, and this maybe seem like I'm being ridiculous, but the few seconds it took for it to reach full brightness was irritating. When I hop on my bike in a dark parking lot, I want to ride off immediately, not wait 10 seconds for my headlight to reach full brightness.

I honestly like my LED setup a lot better than a xenon after market kit.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »

If I recall even an LED has a brightness shift as it gets hotter. I do know the hotter they get the more current they pull as I have replicated some patented greenhouse LED designs I didn't feel like paying 3.5k for and had to redo all my resistor values after realizing this fact >_<

I don't notice any issues with the way I have the bike now and of course it blows away my stock H4 light. Can't wait to get the JW Speaker 8700 and compare them side by side. I don't think the JW Speaker will be brighter but I know it will kill the H4's
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »

did you try this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/OSRING-H4-H7-H8-H11-9005_1242101873.html
3600 lm, the originate h4 of the bike is arowed 900 lm, you do not change anything just change the light, you still have hi low fonction, for me it is magic.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 09:23:45 PM »

francois, what about this one which they say is for motorcycles? It has only the 25w option. Have you tried this one?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/hot-sale--OSRING-H4-led_1743937451.html

Trikester

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 01:40:09 AM »

i have use the same and it is better than original one. but the fan nosy, so i prefere use this one.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-set-H4-hi-lo-led-h4-headlight-30w-led-CREE-Headlight-for-cars-h4-led/2019075550.html
but i think i will change again for a 45w if i can

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 03:15:07 AM »

18 w 1600 lm the H4 led is 35w 4500 lm
Pages: 1 [2]