• May 15, 2024, 10:10:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stebel Air Horn Installation with Pics  (Read 1048 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Stebel Air Horn Installation with Pics
« on: October 23, 2018, 11:48:06 PM »

I chose the Stebel Compact Tuning horn for my installation because it has a more durable finish and is supposed to be more weather resistant than the standard Nautilus horn.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/products.asp?IDserie=14&uso=&tipologia=TUNING

The installation is fairly straightforward.  The kit comes with a relay and mounting hardware.  I recently installed Zero drop bars on my 2017 DSR and the small bracket on the left drop bar provided a perfect location for mounting the horn.  Otherwise, installing the horn is a bit of a challenge because there just aren’t many good places to mount it on these naked bikes.  Without the drop bars, I probably would have mounted it in the space just below the steering head and above the front fender.

I used the auxiliary terminal block that I recently installed as the source for the positive and negative lead wires for the horn.  The horn draws a lot of power, something like 18A, which of course it is only momentary.  Nonetheless, I would not try powering the horn from the 10A accessory plug on the bike.  My terminal block pulls power directly from the DC-DC converter and has a 30A fuse.  See this thread for more details.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8402.0

The first thing you’ll want to do is remove the seat and tank cover in order to access space for the wiring and relay.  The next thing you’ll want to do is remove the OEM horn and disconnect it from the two lead wires.

I first ran a black negative wire directly from the negative spade connector on the horn to the negative side of my terminal block.  You could also pick up the negative lead for the horn from the 10A SAE accessory plug if you don’t want to install a terminal block.  I used 12-gauge wire for all of my wiring.

For the positive connection, you’ll need to use the supplied 4-pin relay.  I located the relay in the front right side area of the cavity below the tank cover.  It’s hard to make out in the photo but it’s the small black cube with the two red wires going to it.  I ran a red positive lead from the positive side of my terminal block to the #30 pin on the relay.  If you don’t want to install a terminal block you can pull the positive power directly from the top of the fuse box, like I did to power the terminal block, and run that to the #30 pin on the relay.  If you use this method you’ll also need to splice in a fuse holder and fuse.  I can’t remember if the Stebel horn kit came with a fuse holder or not, but if not then an inline 25A fuse should do.  I then ran a red positive wire from the #87 pin on the relay to the positive spade connector on the horn.

The next thing I did was to pull the wiring harness for the old horn back up into the cavity space below the tank cover.  In the photo, it’s the wires with the black mesh sleeve around them that I have secured with white wire ties.  The two horn wires connect to the #85 and #86 pins on the relay.  It doesn’t matter which wire is connected to which pin.  One wire supplies the ground for the relay and the other supplies the trigger current that allows the main current to flow through the relay and power the horn.

Now just tidy up the wiring, button everything back up, and you’re done.  And by the way, this horn is extremely loud so be careful when testing it out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:18:10 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Stebel Air Horn Installation with Pics
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »

Nice work. For the process of documenting it, I've finally added a stub for the stock horn:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Horn
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]