• May 08, 2024, 03:51:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Getting Skinny - FX & FXS diets?  (Read 3681 times)

laramie LC4

• View Profile
Re: Getting Skinny - FX & FXS diets?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »

Keep in mind that the FXS has the newer IPM motor that does not overheat. FX does not. I bought a 2015 because the motor is the same. The 2016 will give you about 5 miles more range. I ride mine pretty hard and always in sport mode and never get more than 30 miles.

both the FX and FXS in 2016 have the new motor with the permanent magnets.
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 06:01:45 PM »

i plan on doing the FX with a spare set of SM wheels. the prices is the same either way, but with the FX you will have 1.5" more travel up front without having to mess with things. the fork are identica. i took the FX-S to my suspension guy, he says its just a spacer limiting the S' travel but i'd rather not have to mess with that yet. he also said race tech has everything to set the forks up and he was checking on the shock. he was going to talk to race tech directly and see if they had spec'ed out the FX yet (if anyone is in SoCal, Race Tech will hook you up if you let them "borrow" your bike). there may be some spacer issues swapping between the wheels, but i have to think Zero has this worked out. we can't be the only people thinking this.

Have you by chance priced out those wheels yet?  I tried messaging Zero and Hollywood Electrics on Facebook but Zero said call Hollywood, and Hollywood also said to give them a ring however I'm in the middle east and my phone is turned off so yeah... ???

yup. like i said my buddy is a dealer and he has priced it all out for me. the entire wheel/hub is roughly $300. same cost either way, spoked or mags so it really does matter which comes on your bike. I'm going FX like i said due to the longer suspension to start with.
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 07:59:18 PM »

both the FX and FXS in 2016 have the new motor with the permanent magnets.

NO.  Very much NO.
Both motors are  permanent magnet... but the new motor is INTERIOR permanent magnet. (dumb sounding name I know. I wont blame the engineers. I blame the marketers for not making up a better term to have it stand out more.)

The FX is the offroad bike, and does NOT get the new Interior Permanent Magnet motor. I am betting they will run this without it until they are out of excess stock of the old motor.

The FXS is expected to see more aggressive street duty, and gets the new IPM motor. Without it, its easy to overheat on the supermoto track or even the highway.

You can double check this on their site:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fx/specs.php  -- note it says "radial flux, permanent magnet, brushless motor"
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/specs.php -- "radial flux, interior permanent magnet, brushless motor"

If you are an aggressive rider, you want the FXS.

You will be better off buying the FXS and just pulling the lowering spacers out when you have the suspension revalved/resprung.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 08:18:57 PM »

from: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/zero/2016-zero-fxs-first-ride-review.html

Zero’s new Z-Force Interior Permanent Magnet (IPM) motor is equipped on FXS models, its ability to create less heat and to more efficiently dissipate heat is a big benefit to supermoto riders (read the Zero DSR review here for more details on the IPM motor, or grab some popcorn and watch this video of Zero’s Director of Powertrain Engineering, Ryan Biffard, give an in-depth explanation of his patent-pending creation).

Meanwhile, the FX (no S) will retain the Surface Mount Permanent Magnet (SMPM) motor used previously. Power output doesn’t change regardless of the motor, meaning 70 lb-ft of torque is on tap, as well as 44 hp (27 hp with the single ZF3.3 battery). Combined with a claimed curb weight of 293 lbs., the FXS has all the ingredients to upset sportbike riders in the canyons.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 12:04:05 AM »

The forks have different lower lugs. The FXS has a much larger brake rotor so wheels swaps aren't gonna be so simple. They also look different externally. I think they are right off the SR though may be valved and or sprung differently. You could go with the FX and make a bracket to space the caliper for supermoto wheels like is commonly done on many mx bikes. I looked high and low for one that would fit but JJuan uses odd spacing. I know Hollywood electrics makes a sm kit for the FX but only pre '15 non abs from what they told me 8 months ago. Maybe they offer it now?

webster

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 02:03:16 AM »

Mr. Dude you are correct. I really wanted the FXS just for the IPM motor, but I got a killer deal on a demo 2015 FX. Plus I ride in the dirt and didn't need 17" wheels.

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 05:01:01 AM »

well. once again I'm glad I'm doing my home work. i definitely want the new motor. as for the fit of the wheels, i know it will be some work but i just can't imagine that this hasn't been figured out. i will talk to my dealer friend and have him contact zero directly.

thanks,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 06:15:41 AM »

ok. quick reply from my dealer friend. guess he just found out about the lack of new engine in the FX as well, like i said this is all new to him as well, first bike he sold was to my buddy. so he is still learning too, but what he does have is direct access to parts breakdowns, pricing, and asking questions directly to the factory.

i had asked him to talk to Zero about the wheels and he says,

"...as for the wheels, Zero says the rear can be done without problem and the front is rotor/caliper issue only."

so, sounds like we need a bracket made to relocate the caliper to a new position, or if the calipers are different as well, buy another caliper. from what i've seen of zero's prices for parts, they haven't figured out like KTM how to gouge your heart out yet. everything I've looked at has been reasonable or even cheap.

he also said he will be at the Zero factory next month and will be getting a ton more info and asking many questions.

keep ya posted,

laters,

laramie  ;)

ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

SuburbanDad

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 10:58:03 AM »

Also, it looks like one could drop a few lbs by getting rid of the clunky sidestand.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 09:05:27 PM »

Ill make it easy for you

But a fxs
Buy 16 ds wheels

It will all plug and play for you, put knobbies on dual sports (on the ds wheels) leave your stock wheels with the street tires snd you can swap the wheels when you want nothing else.     

Dont waste your time getting fx wheels to work with the fxs front suspension. Its the same as everyone who went to s wheels on their fx's bit now more involved because the fxs has a different front caliper from fx
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 09:59:49 AM »

Ill make it easy for you

But a fxs
Buy 16 ds wheels

It will all plug and play for you, put knobbies on dual sports (on the ds wheels) leave your stock wheels with the street tires snd you can swap the wheels when you want nothing else.     

Dont waste your time getting fx wheels to work with the fxs front suspension. Its the same as everyone who went to s wheels on their fx's bit now more involved because the fxs has a different front caliper from fx

excellent info thank you.

couple issues for me though, it's only a 19" wheel, and it is cast not spoke'd. the whole reason for the spoke is to flex on hard impact. cast wheels do not have that same benefit and can meet with disastrous results off road. i want to be able to ride this like my KTM's off road if and when i desire. i just don't think the cast will live long.

im gonna keep digging. at worst we have a caliper re-locater fabricated. that shouldn't be to hard to source.

laters,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

bking

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 01:53:17 AM »

im gonna keep digging. at worst we have a caliper re-locater fabricated. that shouldn't be to hard to source.

Caliper relocate bracket should be easy. I bought spoked SM wheels for my FX from Hollywood & regret it- for less money I should have had Woody's Wheels build a set from Zero hubs. The quality I got didn't approach the wheels Woody built for my 990.
'14 Zero FX
'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'65 Honda CB450

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 02:12:07 AM »

Caliper relocate bracket should be easy. I bought spoked SM wheels for my FX from Hollywood & regret it- for less money I should have had Woody's Wheels build a set from Zero hubs. The quality I got didn't approach the wheels Woody built for my 990.

what was lacking from them?
I put 8,000 miles on a set of excel/talon 17" wheels with a CR500... but thats not "cheap"...
Ive seen the DRZ guys get good miles from Warp9 wheels.. much cheaper.
I looked up woodys wheels just now, but he wants over 1k just to put a excel rim around my stock hubs...

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 06:22:56 AM »

stay tuned on caliper re-locator, told it's in the works.

laters,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 06:32:28 AM »

I looked up woodys wheels just now, but he wants over 1k just to put a excel rim around my stock hubs...

yup. lot's of guy's rave but i could never eat that price. i ride my 990 harder than most and still have stock rims. yes the aren't perfect anymore, but for the price i'm ok with that. if you have the money to spend though, they make a hell of a wheel.

warp9 has gotten a lot better and seem to really try. there is a guy at advrider that works with them and is very active and responsive to wants/needs/complaints/ desires.... all the things you hope for in a company.

i personally would like to just get/source/make the caliper re-locator, and add the price of the extra wheels to the original ticket and get 10% back.  8)

laters,

laramie  ;)

ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC
Pages: 1 [2] 3