• May 09, 2024, 09:04:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2011 Zero S performance mods?  (Read 5775 times)

zerofan

• View Profile
2011 Zero S performance mods?
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:19:17 AM »

New Zero S owner here. Thrilled with the bike. Brilliant.  ;D

Is there any way to give it more off the line acceleration? Plenty of oomph after 20MPH but I get beat out by Toyota Corolas when lights turn green.   :-[

Any software adjustments? Thanks!

Daveruns

• View Profile
Re: 2011 Zero S performance mods?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:57:58 AM »

I agree. Love the acceleration from 20 to 65, but that first 20 is a bit timid. Otherwise the bike is perfect for my needs. I ride 20 miles round trip work and it does this perfectly.

NewAgeRetroHippie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »

I have the DS, but same issue.  As far as I've heard it has been dumbed down from the 2010 model because people were hurting themselves.......  When I got it I was expecting the same or more performance than last year's model, not less.   >:(

gasdive

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 04:54:21 AM »

I've got the 2010, I can't imagine how anyone could hurt themselves due to the "snappyness" off the line.  It's very very mild.  I often demonstrate to people how mild it is by snapping the throttle wide open and back again while sitting there talking to them.  It only moves forward very slightlly and not quickly at all.  I hold it in position with my toes on the ground.  Then I usually demo riding it around them at full lock.  The low speed throttle is so well controlled that low speed stuff is absurdly easy.

I compare it to my KTM 200 where doing something equivalent (snapping the throttle full open and back) in 3rd gear will put you (has put me) on your arse.

=:)
Blogging my Zero DS from day one.
http://zerods.blogspot.com/

JP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:22:29 AM »

The resolution is to adjust the controller.  That's what dictates a lot what happens between your motor, battery, charger, throttle, etc.  The problem with Zero is that they definitely used a dumbed up plug and play controller that cannot be adjusted.  You could always look at replacing the controller.  I'm not sure of anyone that has done that though.

NewAgeRetroHippie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:31:39 AM »

So the controller has been locked somehow?  I wonder how...

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:08:35 AM »

On the 2010S you can play with the controller. plug in the alltrax software and start adjusting the curve. It is tricky though and you might compromise the overall performance balance of battery life, top speed etc...
how about a different sprocket ? - ideally at the rear to avoid to much loading on the motor or so ?
I tried a different sprocket and the of the line speed was improved. top speed down by a couple of miles though.
cheers
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

NewAgeRetroHippie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »

Have you actually looked into changing the curve?  Is it easy to save a backup of the original settings?  Can you view the settings without changing them?

And I got a 2011, so is mine blocked then?

Also if you change the sprocket to get better acceleration you are using more power, the same as if you changed the curve.  Change the curve and you get the better acceleration and keep the top speed, plus there are no parts to buy.

Might be a good idea to look into what the chain/belt and sprockets are rated for, torque wise.

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »

Have you actually looked into changing the curve?  Is it easy to save a backup of the original settings?  Can you view the settings without changing them?
I have ridden a 2010 S that has had some mods. Of the line acceleration slightly improved - overall curve not the best. Sounds to me a tweaky business as the bike needs to be running on stand when adjusting the curve or so...

And I got a 2011, so is mine blocked then?

Also if you change the sprocket to get better acceleration you are using more power, the same as if you changed the curve.  Change the curve and you get the better acceleration and keep the top speed, plus there are no parts to buy.

Might be a good idea to look into what the chain/belt and sprockets are rated for, torque wise.

On the other hand I tried other sprockets and it shows improvement. Top end speed down by 5 miles though. Does anyone know or has now got experience with 2011 ? Doesn't the 2011 have a "sports" and "eco" mode ?
2011 blocked ? Does this mean no plug to access the electronics ? On any ICE one can tune the performance - hope on the Zero's we get the equivalent possibilities - happy even to work with expert support / dealers if to sensitive.

Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020

zap mc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 09:39:57 PM »

The bike is mapped and "factory locked" on the alltrax controller for economy and safety
They even elongated the swingarm to prevent wheelies
You can just substitute the controller to a programmable one but it is quite expensive
any messing about will void your warranty so be warned

manlytom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »

The bike is mapped and "factory locked" on the alltrax controller for economy and safety
Hi ZAPmc or all. what does it mean locked ? The product info says one can get into it with USB or serial - so what we should be able to  ? The off the line speed really needs a slight boost !

T
Tom

dubster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »

I've just bought a 2012 model S/ZF6.  Does anyone already modified the controller settings of these bikes?

greetings from Belgium

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 08:47:29 PM »

Modifying the sevcon motor controllers for the 2012 bikes requires some specialized software, a CAN adapter, and a password to unlock the controller.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 12:06:35 PM »

I have playes with many controllers in teh past years, just like the Infineon, kelly and alltrax. I have looked to the factory parameters of my DS2011 and the max current is set to 90% current wich is 90% of the 500A controller max curent. It's 450A, exactly what is the max that the agni mbrushed motor can take.

But there is two current sensor on this motorcycle. one on the controller output and one on the battery output. and they are connected to the "ECU" ( master control box of the zero).

On the alltrax, the throttle curves affect how the controller outputs power (y axis) as you progress through the throttle (x axis), But my guess is that the throttle signal from the magura throttle grip does NOT connect directly to the controller. It goes first to the ECU, than the ecu can overide the signal or not depending on the battery conditions, current demand and motor or battery temperature., so if you apply full throttle, the full throttle signal  will only be present on the controller throttle input IF none of these conditions are activated ( the system condition are good)

I would like to try to add a switch that will bypass the ECU so when i flip the switch, the throttle signal will go directly to the controller input so the full power will occur from  0MPH to 20MPH. But this will also bypass the safety protections for the bike components as well.

I should receive my cycle analyst performances display next week and will connect it to my DS, so i will monitor everything including the power in kW, voltage, current, speed etc.
that should help to measure the improovement i can make.

Also the 1/2 speed option is check on the controller factory program wich make me think that if the battery goes low, the low powerlimit protection is probably trigging this option thru the connector

Doc

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:11:48 PM by Doctorbass »
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »

Hi Doc ;=)

I can't wait how it will work. Unfortunately I'm still waiting my DS 2012 will arrive. But I also got the hint of Harlan, that the "ECU" will be the limiting part.

I plan to cut the line between ECU to Sevcon Controller, but still let the signal go to the ECU.
A "split" that allows the signal to bypass the ECU direct to the Sevcon Controller, but still give all information to the ECU.

What do you thing?

At the moment I can't put hands on it, but when the bike arrives I will have a look with my scope how the timing difference between throttle and ECU out is (and what the levels are).

Maybe a direct bypass will be to aggressive and one has to filter the signal with a small micro.

Best solution: Zero would allow an update to make the low speed acceleration a bit better.

Also would like to change the regenerative braking (2012), but that is an other topic.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7
Pages: [1] 2 3