• May 04, 2024, 09:04:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How about this product, Zero?  (Read 1889 times)

trikester

• View Profile
How about this product, Zero?
« on: January 23, 2013, 12:53:13 AM »

For the 2013's, that have quick remove batteries, I'd like to see Zero market an aftermarket portable charging station. It could either have a built in charger or use one of the external chargers now available from Zero (probably better). This would be a unit that a FX, XU, or MX battery could be plugged into, when out of the bike. Basically just a fixture to hold the battery and a mounted connector that it plugs into, just like the ones on the bike. Without the charger this shouldn't be a very expensive item.

There would be several advantages to this. Batteries could be brought into a motel or hotel room to charge so that the whole bike didn't have to be wrestled into the room, or the door open for an extension cord (been there - done all of that). Riders in cold climates could charge the batteries in the warm house instead of the garage and store them inside after charging. Rider training schools could take the batteries back to the office for charging each night, while their bikes were stored on site of the course (no AC power there). Last but not least, while one battery was charging with the 650W charger built into the bike, the other battery could be charging in the external fixture with the additional charger. Or, for those big long rides, while the bike is charging both on board batteries, a third battery is charging in the external fixture.  8)

How about this, Zero?

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: How about this product, Zero?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:40:16 AM »

I think the MX Drivers will need it too!
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:49:26 AM »

It would definitely make a lot of sense to introduce a quick-swap charging station for fleet sales. It'd be awesome if they also could configure the number of chargers; anywhere from a single charger @ 0.65 kW (8h charge) to 8 chargers @ 5.2 kW (1h charge).

Charging station might be too pricey for most residential users to buy - maybe around $7000 with 2x ZF2.8 modules and 1.3 kW charger.

For portable use, even a single 650W charger would charge two ZF2.8 modules overnight. Bear in mind that the modules are around 42 pounds apiece..

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:38:25 AM »

I think the MX Drivers will need it too!

I listed the MX (& XU) in addition to the FX in my posting.

Charging station might be too pricey for most residential users to buy - maybe around $7000 with 2x ZF2.8 modules and 1.3 kW charger.

For portable use, even a single 650W charger would charge two ZF2.8 modules overnight. Bear in mind that the modules are around 42 pounds apiece..

You wouldn't be buying the batteries, they come with the bike. It would use one 650 W charger if you only owned one station.

I was just talking about portable use, motel rooms etc. Since it would work with the extra charger that Zero sells the only additional cost would be for the fixture. As I mentioned, that shouldn't be much since it's mostly a fixture to hold the battery and a connector for the battery and a connector for the charger DC output. No electronics in the fixture.

Of course some might want two of these so they can charge both batteries at the same time. I was thinking of one unit and you get up in the middle of the night and swap batteries after the first one is charged, Get up to pee and swap batteries - both charged by morning and you're on your way. ;)

There are lots of possibilities here.

Trikester

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »

For overnight charging it would make sense to have a charging harness with two module hookups. No need to get up halfway to change them.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »

I'm a little confused.  You do know, since the very first Zero years ago, that the battery can be charged while it is not in the bike, yes?  The whole idea is that you can ride and deplete the batteries in the bike while you are charging some on the side of the track, then swap them as needed.

So, you think Zero should make an accessory that is a charging dock rather than just have the charger wire plug straight into the battery pack?
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:41:38 PM »

I'm confused too, the major selling point with removable batteries must be exactly this - charging batteries 'off-the-bike'. I'm taking it for granted this is possible without anything more than the charging wire...

A trolley/hand truck of some sort might be handy thou.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 12:52:46 AM »

I was contacted by Zero factory personnel and informed of what the current situation is. It turns out that all one needs is an adapter cable (Zero sells them) and the accessory external charger can be plugged directly into a battery that is not on the bike. No fixture is needed to hold the battery.

This is great news because it is less to carry on a trip and of course just needing an adapter cable makes it very little additional cost when buying the accessory charger.

Apparently those riding the Zero models with plug-able batteries always knew this, but since I have only been exposed to Zero bikes that didn't have removable batteries, I didn't know about this feature. I'm glad to find it is so simple. :) I will most likely buy one of the accessory chargers and the cable.

Not having to physically put the bike where AC power is, when I need to charge, will be a big help. Some motel owners have not been real happy with me wheeling the bike into the room. I usually explain that it is more like an electric wheel chair than an oily motorcycle with flammable fuel aboard. However, muddy tires are another story.  >:( I also carry a very short flat extension cord that will fit under most motel room doors when closed. No more now, with my new FX.  ;D

Trikester
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:57:46 AM by trikester »
Pages: [1]