• May 15, 2024, 03:56:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Test ride on 2014S and low speed acceleration  (Read 2138 times)

dicknose

• View Profile
Test ride on 2014S and low speed acceleration
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »

Had a test ride on a new S model. Of cause the SR the next day so I didnt get to do a back to back test.

Quite enjoyed the ride, interesting sensation not having to worry about gears.
And I thought the mid speed punch was quite reasonable.
But was a bit surprised by its "off the line" performance, it seemed very slow.
I had it in sports mode and gave it a fair bit of throttle and it moved away ok, but it was just that "moved away", not "leapt away"

I was expecting an electric bike to have really good performance down low and was a bit underwhelmed.
Happy to admit Im used to powerful bikes and wasnt expecting this to be the equal of my 1200cc bike.
But it seemed sluggish at low speeds.

Is this typical? Is it some sort of design decision because it doesnt have traction control?

Anyway trying to get back to the dealer to try the SR.
But they are over an hour away and a bit tricky to sneak off from work for a test ride.

Im keen to get one as a commuter, so that means plenty of traffic light GPs and slow speeds.
Hoping the SR feels a bit more fun at slow speeds.

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Re: Test ride on 2014S and low speed acceleration
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »

I tried both the SR and S before deciding on the SR.

You're right the S is lacking in low down acceleration (<20mph). The Zero SR is much better in that regard but Zero has still limited the available torque at low speeds for whatever reason - safety, stress on components etc.

After trying the Zero S I was underwhelmed after coming off the SR. Test riding the Zero SR you won't be disappointed and its pull from 20-50mph would match many 600cc bikes out there.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »

It seems a design thing to prevent issues with the motor, the belt or the controller. Anybody can confirm this?
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

trekguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:44:05 PM »

I dont know what city dicknose commutes in, but when I was in Rome last year, even the smallest gas scooters would out-accelerate commuter traffic in the 0 to-the-next-stoplight race.

dicknose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »

My traffic light GPs are with other bikes! Not cars.
I dont need to win the stoplight race, but I dont want to get run down by the bikes behind me.
Or lose to a scooter!
Plus its fun having the arms pulled a bit longer!!

My current bike is a Ducati Diavel, previous bike Honda CBR1000RR
So Im used to quick bikes!
I did ride a Z800 thru Italy/Switzerland last year (but not Rome)

Hopefully I can swing the SR test ride later this week.
Then if the grin is big enough, the Zero will join the Ducati in the garage and be my daily ride.
Give the Ducati a rest, it uses fuel, but also tyres and servicing are big expenses (and a pain to get done - tyres last about 3-4 months)

As for the initial torque, I was hoping someone was going to say "its electronically limited" and that people had work arounds.
With my bulky weight I need a bit of extra oomph (I weight more than the Repsol Honda MotoGP riders - combined)

Thanks for the replies so far.
Anything else a newbie needs to be aware of?
I saw a thread about possible/likely ABS next year - that would be nice. Even more so if it mean traction control.

Maybe - whats the most annoying thing about the bike?
(and dont say - everyone stopping to look and ask questions about it!!)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 08:23:08 PM »

whats the most annoying thing about the bike?

Charge times, its they one thing that most EV's still need to get sorted out, but the Zeros really could do with a stronger on-board charger as standard.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:08:19 PM »

It is my belief that the performance of Zero motorcycles is electrically limited by the controller's programming.  My 2014 S, that weighs 440 pounds is about twice as fast off the line as my 2012 S was, which weighed 100 pounds less.  Over about 20 mph, both bikes would really take off.  I believe that Zero deliberately reduces the available torque when moving off from a stop in order to keep the rear wheel from spinning on slippery pavement, as well as to protect the drive train components. I think they are still trying to get the right amount of power and regen braking effect with their new models that will conform to their thoughts about rear wheel traction.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:10 PM »

It's pretty clear to me that they limit the torque at very low speeds on my SR. It pulls well but it's certainly not going to light the tire unless you have the front brake on. I'm assuming it's to keep the belt from snapping and to keep the rear wheel from going up in smoke. They use a fairly skinny tire out back, considering the performance level of this bike, to reduce rolling resistance and maximize range, and it just doesn't get the same amount of traction the wide tires on other sport bikes gets.

I do wish, on the SR at least, they'd put a wider belt and a wider tire on the bike, and not limit the startup torque so much. This IS the dragster in the stable, not the efficiency king.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 12:03:47 AM »

If off the line acceleration is important than you must also try the Brammo Empulse.
Due to the use of a gearbox it launches off the line better than anything. Just make sure it's in sport mode.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:54:38 AM »

If off the line acceleration is important than you must also try the Brammo Empulse.
Due to the use of a gearbox it launches off the line better than anything. Just make sure it's in sport mode.

I rode a friend's 2013 Empulse. It doesn't launch any harder than an SR, and the SR pulls away from it at anything above 15 mph or so, gearing or no gearing. I do like the Empulse's onboard Type II charger, though I don't know if I'd wind up using it very often. The real difference for me was in the simplicity of the Zero's design -- no tranny to fail or to require lubrication, no water cooling system, and lighter weight because of those things. A battery, a controller, a motor, a rubber band, the rear tire. It just seems elegant and reliable.

And the higher performance ain't bad, neither!

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 01:11:12 AM »

Was that in sport mode on the Empulse?
I am a bit surprised because even my E1 launches better than the Zero.
I have a colleague that has a Zero SR. Next month we go riding together. I will make sure we do some drag races to find out at what speed exactly he overtakes me!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 01:40:06 AM »

Zero Motorcycles have no transmission and therefore you are taking off from the line in top gear.

They do sell a different front sprocket if you want to sacrifice top speed to gain off the line performance.   

It is also woth noting that with a Zero all launches are equal as there is no clutch or shifting required.   

In some fool hearted drag races between my FX and friends bikes it is interesting to see that when their clutch levers come back the FX launches ever forward while they are changing gears. 
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:51:09 AM »

My 8.5 2013 S accelerates enough to spin the tires on takeoff. Zero to 60 mph time is 4.8 seconds and as you accelerate away, you can feel the tires on the edge of wanting to skip. With the SR, the zero to 60 time is 3.3 sec., but it has the same size tires. Maybe a different brand though. The added weight of the SR must help keep the tires stick to the pavement too. Personally, I prefer the lighter bike. I am not sure how the SR can be so much faster than the S and still keep the tires on the pavement with the same relatively skinny tires. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:53:38 AM by dkw12002 »

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 03:13:40 AM »

I am not sure how the SR can be so much faster than the S and still keep the tires on the pavement with the same relatively skinny tires.

Hence my belief that Zero "de-tuned" the bottom end a bit on the SR, as well as going with a larger sprocket to reduce the torque multiplication slightly. I'm sure it reduces the load on a lot of things, not the least of which is the belt, but I think it also helps keep the rear tire from going up in smoke, and helps keep the front wheel on the ground.

Personally, I don't have a problem with those last two things -- I'm a heavy guy, which gives the rear tire more traction and more "ballast" to keep the front wheel down. Of course, it's not exactly good for 0-60 times, but my bike is plenty quick for me, even hauling my butt around.

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 03:49:32 AM »

Check out this nice little bit of research done by Ted Dillard

http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2014/07/07/motor-starting-torque-stall-torque-and-motor-types/

I also find the comments enlightening.

-ryan
Pages: [1] 2