• May 05, 2024, 04:09:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Nav on the SR/F  (Read 599 times)

gadgetgirl

• View Profile
Nav on the SR/F
« on: July 24, 2019, 03:57:43 AM »

Has anyone heard any rumblings about putting navigation on the SR/F dash? It's one of the features mentioned on the HD LiveWire. Something like wireless Apple Carplay would be awesome to use for navigating around town. Even something that uses the SR/F's onboard GPS with maps downloaded from the Zero app would seem possible.
Current: 2020 SR/F Premium Seabright Blue (J1772)
Former: 2011 VRSCDX Sedona Orange

alko

• View Profile
Re: Nav on the SR/F
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 07:12:21 AM »

I just put a handlebar smart phone holder on mine and works great. Google maps works better than any Garmin GPS units I've used and are way better updated.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:54:33 PM by alko »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:12:45 AM »

I’d rather see Zero focus on other features and let phone mounts cover this for now. Zero seems to be able to develop only a few select technologies per season, being a big factor.

Another factor is that the dash is still low almost out of an upright rider’s vision, whereas a phone on a mount is easier to notice without taking one’s eyes off the road.

FWIW I use an Apple Watch and mounted iPhone for directions because the watch taps my wrist per turn (and the taps have a left vs right signature).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 01:17:38 PM »

Android Auto would sure be nice. It works great in my Chevy Bolt. It's like a dumb terminal, remote display, projector, or what have you, for Android phones. But it (and I believe Carplay) requires both USB connectivity and touch screen.

I have a phone mount but rarely use it because my phone is in the awesome Samsung LED Wallet Case.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »

I didn't even bother with a phone mount. I keep my phone in my jacket pocket and have Google Maps relay info to me over my Sena bluetooth headset. It works great, and I can listen to music as I ride as well.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 04:56:24 PM »

I just use a ram mount for my phone and my cardo for the voice. I rarely look down at the phone and mostly use the voice for navigation, but every once in a while the screen is handy.

I've never seen the need for built in navigation on any vehicle. The phone's GPS is always more updated and gives more choices since you can use different apps.

There are about 100 features I'd rather have on the SR/F before built-in nav.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

bergercurtis

• Motorcycle junkie, new to EV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 10:02:15 PM »

I’d rather see Zero focus on other features and let phone mounts cover this for now. Zero seems to be able to develop only a few select technologies per season, being a big factor.

Yeah, completely agree with this. Until they've got the scale to dabble in unnecessary extras, having that effort spent towards range, reliability, and overall refinement of their brand makes sense. OEM companies for onboard GPS systems seem to be either overpriced (looking at you $950 BMW Nav 6) or suck anyways. Google/Apple maps is more than enough.
-Curtis
2020 Zero SR/F Premium Seabright Blue
Licensed Zero Dealer in Colorado Springs

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 12:50:03 AM »

i like this idea: http://www.bike-hud.com/

Only wish they actually had units for sale, and yes i know there are alternatives, but this solution is the best looking concept i've seen so far.

gadgetgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 12:59:07 AM »

Yeah, completely agree with this. Until they've got the scale to dabble in unnecessary extras, having that effort spent towards range, reliability, and overall refinement of their brand makes sense. OEM companies for onboard GPS systems seem to be either overpriced (looking at you $950 BMW Nav 6) or suck anyways. Google/Apple maps is more than enough.

I get the sentiment for limiting scope to keep standards high. That's why it would be nice to have wireless Carplay, since they don't need to get into the guts of making their own overpriced, substandard software. They just need to enable the passthru of Carplay or Android Auto, treating that nice display on the SR/F as a glorified monitor. I would be happy with the equivalent of what's on my Apple Watch for nav steps (simple arrows, distance to turn, street name) to keep my glances for information in one place instead of multiple. I use audio navigation too, which works pretty well for me.

bike-hud looks cool too, but those products have been "coming soon" for years, or end up costing $600+ when I already have all the electronics in my phone and bike.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:00:49 AM by gadgetgirl »
Current: 2020 SR/F Premium Seabright Blue (J1772)
Former: 2011 VRSCDX Sedona Orange

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 12:59:30 AM »

i like this idea: http://www.bike-hud.com/

Only wish they actually had units for sale, and yes i know there are alternatives, but this solution is the best looking concept i've seen so far.

That is indeed cool stuff!
I would buy one right now if they were to make a size big enough for my noggin.
2020 Zero SR/F

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 03:40:40 AM »

Most likely they didn't do this because their software team isn't that good (srf software has awful name, released unstable).

A convenient excuse would be liability but no really I think they just shrugged off the work under the assumption that you can just get a RAM mount and use your phone.
Pages: [1]