• May 05, 2024, 02:20:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Today's ride distance  (Read 1020 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Today's ride distance
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:28:58 AM »

Today I did a ride on my 2012 DS that I had done on my 2010 DS of 46 miles. It was a beautiful southern CA desert day with light wind and temp in the mid-seventies. An open desert highway with no traffic and some ups and downs with two steep short grades each direction. I held my speed to 40 - 45 mph and rode to a cafe where I had ridden my 2010 DS and could plug it in.

Last year the 2010 was almost "out of gas" when I arrived and I waited 2 1/2 hours to be sure I had enough charge to make it back to my desert cabin. This time, after 23 miles I arrived with one bar above 1/2 on my gauge. Since this was my first "long" ride I plugged it in, just to be sure, since I didn't have any "rescue" available.

I was there for 50 minutes and I gained two bars above the one bar above 1/2. Same speed on the return trip except for one quick acceleration to 75 mph (good thing I had a good grip when I rolled the throttle on at a cruising speed of 45, it felt like I would go off the back).

When I got back, at 46 miles total, I still had four bars on the gauge, so maybe, if it's linear, I would have returned with two bars if I hadn't plugged it in at the cafe. I'm sure the rapid acceleration to 75mph sucked some significant power.

I felt the motor case when I got back and it was only warm, not hot by any judgment.

BTW - Cruising at 40 - 45 on a beautiful southern CA desert day was very enjoyable, but of course I had a tendency to let the speed creep up until I would notice and bring it back down.

This was with the stock tires.

Take it for what it's worth,
Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Today's ride distance
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:15:44 PM »

I forgot to mention that my 2012 DS is a ZF6

dkw12002

• View Profile
Re: Today's ride distance
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »

This is why you need a backup ride for when you want to take longer trips or go faster. There will always be trips outside the range of the Zero right? Therefore you need a gas scooter or motorcycle as backup. Multiple toys is the answer.
Pages: [1]