• May 13, 2024, 06:49:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hot power cable when charging  (Read 745 times)

M@2015DS

• View Profile
Hot power cable when charging
« on: April 10, 2017, 10:46:42 AM »

When I charge my 2015 DS there is a constant charging sound. Tonight I came out to the garage and that sound was starting and stopping.

I checked the cable that was plugged into the bike and it was hot. I also checked the connection of this cable to the extension cable and it was hot as well.

The extension cable is to spec of what is called for when charging the bike and I have been doing this over 2 years since I bought the bike.

Any ideas what may be going wrong? Is the bike going to explode?

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Hot power cable when charging
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:43:03 PM »

Power cables always get hot when the bike is bulk charging.  They will get noticeably hot at either end.  Things get evern worse when the connectors are getting a little old and corroded. Last year I had my charging cable connected to my daughter's old and a little undersized 25'-long extension cord and the male and female connectors, where the cords were joined, melted and they became fused together.  I had to cut the cords apart and ended up buying replacements for both cords.  Fortunately the melting didn't affect the charging of my Zero and it was fully charged when I discovered the problem.  Also, fortunately, no fire resulted.   :) 

So my suggestion is to make sure your power cords are rated to handle at least a 15 amp continuous load and every few years check that their metal connectors are clean and free of corrosion.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 03:05:11 PM »

Or charge at 240V. My cables stay icy cold even during bulk charging.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »

I'd say to clean the contacts of the cord and inlet every few months, not years.

Wiki writeup: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Problems#Stuck.2FWarm_Charging_Cord
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

M@2015DS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »

Thanks guys,

Cleaned the contacts and looks like it is back to normal.

Probably should take it in for a look see though.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »

I'd say to clean the contacts of the cord and inlet every few months, not years.

Wiki writeup: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Problems#Stuck.2FWarm_Charging_Cord

What do you use to clean the contacts?
Can I use rubbing alcohol?

Can you provide a short list of products that would work, without causing damage, and how to apply them correctly?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 12:33:10 AM »

What do you use to clean the contacts?
Can I use rubbing alcohol?

Can you provide a short list of products that would work, without causing damage, and how to apply them correctly?

I think so but I found a specific contact cleaning solvent at a local hardware store and just used that. I don't know what to recommend but it doesn't seem hard to fulfill given the keywords "contact cleaner".
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

M@2015DS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »

I used an electronics component cleaner spray. I just sprayed the plugs and let them dry.
Pages: [1]