• May 05, 2024, 09:15:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quick Release Pins for Seat  (Read 1300 times)

GadgetGuy5

• View Profile
Quick Release Pins for Seat
« on: September 06, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »

Well I read a huge amount of very helpful information on this site, but never contributed to the group.   I purchased a 2017 SR in May this year.   One the items that I struggled with is the Torx bolts on the seat when I wanted access to the under pinning below the seat.   It seemed like too difficult a configuration for regular access.   So I thought I would look for a quick Release Pin to replace the bolt.   I have the rear rack kit installed.   Here is what I am trying right now and it looks to be working. 
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/72614704  - Gibraltar - 1/4" Diam, 2" Usable Length, Button Handle, Quick Release Pin.
I wrapped the pin with a single layer of black electrical tape to absorb some fit and vibration.  It seems to be working for now.   I realize it will not work for everyone as it makes the seat too accessible for most people.   I am working on a method to secure the pin to the bike without being intrusive. 
Here is a picture:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:22:17 AM by GadgetGuy5 »
2017 Zero SR, Commuter Screen, Rear Rack Kit

originalspacerob

• View Profile
Re: Quick Release Pins for Seat
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »

Great idea. Keep us posted how it has been working. In my searches I read people wishing the seat was easier to take off. This looks like a good solution. I am new here also. Just picked up a 2017 DSR last week. Starting to get used to it and will have the seat off soon to take a look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First Electric Motorcycle, 2017 ZERO DSR
2004 R1150GS ADV
1980 GS550
2008 XR650L, CRF front forks and Wilbers Rear Shock
2001 Ural Patrol
2006 TTR230

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 12:50:01 AM »

I like that the head of the pin clears the top rack bar; I have a bunch of M8 quick-release pins that are just not quite the right fit in there with the top rack on.

However, 1/4" is a little narrow for a long-term reliable solution, since the original bolt is M8 (~0.315inch outer diameter). My concern is that the seat bolts are basically load-bearing regarding the top rack and even the side racks. Letting them wave around when going over bumps at high speed can add up and strain the smaller bolts that fasten the top rack to the frame. I've had those break on me (for other foolish reasons) and it's not a good outcome (but not catastrophic).

I do recommend in either case placing some firm padding between the top rack's tab and the tail plastics if there is any gap, so absorb some of that dynamic load.

Anyway, here's where we've indexed some seat-release solutions so far:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Quick_Seat_Release

I'm about to try the related thread idea of using a bracket from the top rack plate under the rear of the seat:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7284
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:39:30 AM »

I think a quick release for the seat a a novel idea. I hadn't really needed to remove the seat unless I have to get access to the wiring underneath and that's only been lately when it stopped charging. There's no storage under the seat so I'm not sure why else you would need quick access under the seat.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 01:17:35 PM »

I think a quick release for the seat a a novel idea. I hadn't really needed to remove the seat unless I have to get access to the wiring underneath and that's only been lately when it stopped charging. There's no storage under the seat so I'm not sure why else you would need quick access under the seat.

(1) if any fuse blows, ever.
(2) to reprogram the bike or check some data via OBD-II.
(3) checking on any wiring, properly insulated connections, wear, etc. on the road.

Sure, some of us have to do these things more than others. But it's a real need.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

eddiebee

• 2015 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:56:48 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GPJRY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

These $10 pins fit securely but to stop the wobble instead of electrical tape I used 3/4" long sections of heat shrink tube which make them fit great. If you clean up the tail light wiring there's enough space for gloves, goggles, charging cable, etc.

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »

I'll try this. I lost a screw somehow. Do you think it would be long enough if you have the rear Givi rack mount? I know those screws are longer. Better yet can you tell me how long those pins are?

eddiebee

• 2015 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »

If the givi bar is any more than 1/8" thick then you'd need longer pins. Just add the extra length you need to the grab length... If the rack is less than 1/2" then get a pin with 2.5" grab length.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »

The top rack support is supposed to have a clamping force for part of its attachment strength (torque of seat bolts), in addition to interference (sheer strength of seat bolt material). Check your mounts and pins regularly for wear and stress if you are substituting with a fastener that is not torqued to spec.

eddiebee

• 2015 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 03:30:46 AM »

Booster fits!

Aint1981

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 10:13:05 PM »

thanks for all the recommendations and advices that i have found here, i really appreciate it very much. may i come back with questions later if i would hav esome in the process? thanks a lot!
Pages: [1]