Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2012 and older

2012 Zeros Recalled!

(1/25) > >>

RickSteeb:
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/04/12/2012-zero-motorcycles-recall-218-models-recalled-for-potential-short-fire/

Been thinking I should try & sell my 2012 DS... looks like Zero may buy it back! :o

Richard230:
Well, that is a real shocker!  :o  But only 218 units being called?  I am pretty sure that Zero made more than that in 2012.  ???  I hope the bike that I gave my daughter is covered by the recall. Now that she has my old 2014 S, she really doesn't need the 2012 and wanted to sell it on the open market - not an easy thing to do, of course.  It would be a lot easier for her if SF Moto drove up to her home in Marin County, picked the bike up and gave her a check from Zero.  That would help to clear out a little space in her garage too - as well as pay for a quarter's worth of a meal plan for the daughter who is attending UCLA and will soon be finishing her education at the Fri University in Berlin.   :)

This recall is really going to cost Zero a bunch of bucks.  Not only are they going to have to buy the bikes back (maybe $2K?), but paying a dealer to drive who knows how far to pick up a bike is not going to be cheap, either.  Then the bikes will have to be shipped back to the factory and ultimately dismantled and recycled in some way.

I kind of wonder what happens to the 100 units sold to Columbia in December 2012 and the 57 leftover units sold to Hong Kong the following year?

It is expensive to be a vehicle manufacturer nowadays, especially when you are just a small fish in a big pond surrounded by lawyers and government regulators with big teeth.  :(

Brammofan:
That Hong Kong  police contract has been quite a headache for Zero. I think they had an issue with  the original specs of the bike saying that the motors must have closed cases, rather than the open case of Zero's motors at the time. So they ended up replacing the motors on all the bikes.  Then, one caught fire due to a short, and they all got taken out of service.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-crime/article/1993350/electric-motorcycles-belonging-hong-kong-police-catch-fire

I'm wondering if the recall wasn't a result of the Hong Kong situation.  But you're right Richard, it's an expensive problem for a small fish like Zero.

RickSteeb:
Just wish this recall happened BEFORE I spent $1500 on a BMS circuit board a couple of months ago...  awaiting their buy-back (or trade-in) offer with great interest!

Timing... Zero offered a liberal trade-in on the 2012 models just AFTER I bought my 2013 FX...  :/

triplerider:
Hi Electric Motorcycle Forum,

As a community of Zero motorcycle owners, we want you to be among the first to know about a recall on certain 2012 motorcycles that NHTSA officially published today. The recall only affects model year 2012 Zero S, Zero DS and Zero DSP models. The official recall notice is posted here:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=18V215

If you own a Zero that is any model year or model aside from the 2012 Zero S, Zero DS and Zero DSP models, then you will not be affected by this recall.  If you do own one of these affected models, and we have your info on file, then you should be receiving an official letter from us. We are coordinating with NHTSA on finalizing the official customer notification letter and will mail these no later than April 30. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please email us in North America at 2012-recall-na@zeromotorcycles.com or in Europe at 2012-recall-eu@zeromotorcycles.com. We appreciate your commitment to Zero over the last 11 years of riding. Specific to our owners of 2012 Zero S, DS and DSP models, you were among the earliest adopters of our motorcycles and are a critical part of the electric motorcycle movement.  We remain committed to providing the best service possible to our consumers and are working to make the recall process as simple and straightforward for you as possible.   

Sincerely,

Chris Langlois
Zero Motorcycles Customer Experience Team

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version