• May 18, 2024, 11:02:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Shiny thing, increased price, early 2023 delivery at best  (Read 1455 times)

Richtea

• View Profile
Shiny thing, increased price, early 2023 delivery at best
« on: March 24, 2022, 04:00:47 AM »

TLDR: there are no updates to the bits that matter (motor, battery), but look! A shiny thing. OVER THERE!

Extract from their email:

All HyperSports Now Come With a Single-Sided Swingarm

You're going to receive a lot more updates from us as we prepare to begin shipping bikes. To start, we're excited to share that all HyperSports will arrive with a single-sided swingarm!

Furthermore, we're going to bring you exciting behind-the-scenes content as we build, test, validate, and plan the delivery of your bike. You'll see it as it happens.

Pricing Updates

Since initially setting our pricing structure, a lot has changed. Inflation and the costs of components and materials have risen considerably, beyond our control. We're packing so much into every bike – but there are some critical things we're not willing to compromise on like technology, safety, and unique Damon features.

As of April 5th, 2022, our pricing will change for all new buyers only.

HS will now cost $28,000 USD or est. $388/month [was $25k]
    SX will now cost $24,000 USD or est. $333/month [was $20k]
    SE will now cost $19,000 USD or est. $264/month [was $17k]

Because you applied for a test ride, we're letting you know first and giving you the opportunity to reserve before the prices change. Just place a reservation by April 4th, 2022 to be granfathered into the original price.

Production & Delivery Timeline

After breaking ground on our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Surrey, BC, Canada last year, we will soon ramp up production. This development has allowed us to better estimate the HyperSport ship dates: First deliveries will begin early 2023, and we will ship in volume throughout next year.

Like most companies, we've been affected by the supply chain delays caused by COVID-19. However, we're coming out the other side, transforming these unforeseen obstacles into opportunities to further strengthen our partnerships with industry-leading brands for your Damon motorcycle. We look forward to announcing our partners in the next few months.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Shiny thing, increased price, early 2023 delivery at best
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 04:33:13 AM »

Which one did you reserve?

Richtea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 04:51:45 AM »

It was the SE, on the basis that at $17k if it actually turned up* it would be a bargain in electric bike terms.

*I'm based in the UK, so that was always a long shot.

I look forward to an actual working model being demo'ed AND given to an independent 3rd party to review.
Until then, I won't be committing any money.

As a comparison, I look at Energica and see they're playing with tweaks to the power delivery (the RS variants), and then I look at Damon and they're playing with swingarms, which doesn't do Damon any favors.

However, Energicas cost a small fortune in the UK - $35k for a base Ribelle. But then again, they do exist.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 05:22:59 AM »

Sorry, maybe I'm not understanding you.  Did you put down the $100 deposit for the SE?  If you did you are locked it at the old price.

As long as Damon meets it's goals nothing Energica makes can match the Damon HS.

That SE model is interesting because it's similar range and power to a base SS9 or SRS but with more torque and CCS charging as well as at least 6kw AC charging plus all the other Damon features.

They'll be time to see what it does before the full payment.  If you have a deposit you might as well wait till then.
Cheers.

Richtea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 05:36:28 PM »

Sorry, maybe I'm not understanding you.  Did you put down the $100 deposit for the SE?  If you did you are locked it at the old price.

No deposit made. I'm not a gambler, my feet are firmly on the floor - on both sides of the bike.  ;D

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 06:35:04 PM »

Because you applied for a test ride, we're letting you know first and giving you the opportunity to reserve before the prices change. Just place a reservation by April 4th, 2022 to be granfathered into the original price.

That looks like they're just trying to get more people to reserve bikes "before the price change", they probably sent that offer to any email address that they have on file. I don't buy it.
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 07:28:02 PM »

A pressured sale is always a red flag - even if it's "only" $100. It's not the first red flag from Damon either.

My $100 would be on Damon going under before 2023. The guys at the top probably know that already and want to grab a few thousand dollars before they do.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Richtea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 12:04:09 AM »

My $100 would be on Damon going under before 2023. The guys at the top probably know that already and want to grab a few thousand dollars before they do.

Harsh. But quite realistic.

If they get the bikes out, good on them. If they don't, that would be a shame.
I wish them well, but I also wish they would turn down the BS from 11.

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 01:25:42 AM »

A pressured sale is always a red flag - even if it's "only" $100. It's not the first red flag from Damon either.

Maybe more like, if they can show that there is interest, they can attract investors, or loans.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 03:42:45 PM by TEV »
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 02:08:36 AM »

I wish I was as clairvoyant as some on here.
Here I thought they were being a good upstanding company and letting people be grandfathered in at a pre stupid world price.

Richtea you are free to do whatever you'd like but really $100 is the new $20.  It's less than an hour of labor at a bike shop.
I know they have a lot of interest in the UK but that is likely a phase 2 selling point so no hurry.
Pages: [1]