• May 05, 2024, 06:24:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Mounting Neodymium magnets to trigger parking gates?  (Read 10927 times)

GreenL

• View Profile
    • Green Light Trigger
GLT v4
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2019, 05:46:00 PM »

New device announcement.

I have finished development of the new device. It is both more sensitive and more powerful.

Our tests show reliable sensor activation at height of 1.5 meters above the ground. The device is designed for installation under the motorcycle seat (including the antenna). Belly pan antenna installation is not required any more!

First few devices available on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333359171988
Info and updates: https://www.facebook.com/ActiveGLT

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting Neodymium magnets to trigger parking gates?
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2019, 01:13:50 AM »

I wonder if it's just poor placement of the sensors in the pavement.

Did anyone try backing over sensors that aren't paying attention to bikes?  Your biggest field is around the battery or swing arm; if only your front forks are sticking into it, it might ignore it as interference from the gate.

The suggested device is pretty snazzy, though, you could put it way forward and change the fields around the bike to protrude like the engine bay on a car does.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2019, 03:03:48 AM »

I wonder if it's just poor placement of the sensors in the pavement.

Did anyone try backing over sensors that aren't paying attention to bikes?  Your biggest field is around the battery or swing arm; if only your front forks are sticking into it, it might ignore it as interference from the gate.

The suggested device is pretty snazzy, though, you could put it way forward and change the fields around the bike to protrude like the engine bay on a car does.

-Crissa

In my area the buried wire sensors are rapidly being replaced by TV cameras mounted on the signal poles.  They seem to work well and will even pick up bicycles. 

At the city where I used to work, to test the old signal sensors that have been used for many years, our signal maintenance crews would just toss a shovel into the intersection and adjust the sensitivity of the signal controller system to pick up the shovel. No magnets involved.  When I asked the signal technicians about using magnets, they told me that they wouldn't work as the induction system is designed to detect steel and not a magnetic field.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2019, 03:21:55 AM »

An inductive field is a magnetic field.  The difference between a magnet in an inductive field and a piece of conductor is like the difference between a small knife and a basket ball.  If you're trying to 'see' an object the ball is easier to see than the knife.

That's why the field produced by a loop emitter is better; it's like a big bouncing basket ball.

But an electric bike should also be a big dense occlusion to the field as well.  Which would mean to me the sensor is aligned incorrectly.

-Crissa
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:52:22 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2019, 03:29:41 AM »

An inductive field is a magnetic field.  The difference between a magnet in an inductive field and a piece of conductor is like the difference between a small knife and a basket ball.  If you're trying to 'see' an object the ball is easier to see than the knife.

That's why the field produced by a loop emitter is better; it's like a big flashing light.

But an electric bike should also be a big dense occlusion to the field as well.  Which would mean to me the sensor is aligned incorrectly.

-Crissa

The few signals that still have induction loops that I run across react exactly the same whether I am riding my Zero or one of my ICE motorcycles. If it won't work on an ICE bike, it won't work on my Zero - electric field or not.  However, they are more likely to pick up my motorcycles that have steel wheel rims and are less likely to detect my bikes with aluminum rims.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2019, 03:58:05 AM »

Yeah, the field occlusion of aluminum is softer than steel.  If a magnet is a knife, steel is a basket ball, and aluminum is a nerf ball.  It's still there, sure, but more 'translucent' than the steel.

So yeah, that difference would lead me to believe it's just misaligned if that happens.  It'd be interesting to see a 3-D map of the sensor fields, but it'd probably be easily solved by just laying a new emitter loop that's not frayed or twisted weirdly.

The story of the metal sign-post is awesome ingenuity, I thought.  Always great to have a backup method ^-^

-Crissa

2014 Zero S ZF8.5

GreenL

• View Profile
    • Green Light Trigger
GLT v5
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2020, 11:39:40 PM »

Announcing the new device.

GLT v5 is the improved version of GLT v4.

Main changes:
improvement in electronics,
PCB matches plastic case,
2 internal LEDs,
simplified (normal) blinking pattern.

The devices are available at eBay store: http://www.ebay.com/itm/333705725307
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]