• May 07, 2024, 11:58:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Unofficial Zero Owners Manual  (Read 16691 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Unofficial Zero Owners Manual
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2016, 08:34:47 AM »

I'm still the primary contributor to this website by far. I'm wondering what factors inhibit participation:

• Time.
  • Knowledge.
  • Wiki syntax.
  • Editing difficulties due to large pages or not knowing where to add things.
  • Generally feeling intimidated.

For me it's mostly Time.  I've expended sections using my own photos when I could, but I still have lots of pictures that I took while working on the bike that I haven't had time to incorporate into the wiki due to other priorities.  This wiki is AWESOME though!  And it follows the usual trend of wikis: 90% of the wiki is maintained by 10% of the people (or maybe even 99% / 1%, I'm just making those numbers up, but you get the idea...)

It's generally 80/20, but 90/10 happens so yes I do take your point. I'm glad it is awesome - sometimes I need to look something up and realize that it's actually not too hard to read and is sort of well-organized, and then I'm pleasantly surprised by information someone added.

On the other hand, I'm wary of being a power-user (using both site search and page search to navigate) and missing out on how to make it easier to get into.

I was reminded this weekend of some super-basic things that we could cover and haven't. Mainly mechanical replaceability where Zero wisely picked, say, footpeg mounts that match other bikes. I just don't know how to confirm that quickly other than with my V-Strom.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2016, 09:06:44 PM »

On a regular basis I read something and go "ooh, that looks like something I can add"... and then I find its already been added.
This morning I found out the gauge clusters pre-2013 bikes were made by Koso.

2008-2011    Koso XR-SR
2012-2013    Koso RX-1N

So I went to add in that useful info.. but it was already there.

Its been suggested to add part numbers for things that people swap around, like the sprocket/gears... but since we all know we cant directly order zero parts anyway, its not easy to add.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »

I've updated a variety of topics recently given a number of things I've heard, measured, and observed:

http://zeromanual.com/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&from=20160918000000&to=20160920000000

We do need someone with an FX to step up about supporting that platform, which I have so little access to that I'm avoiding documenting in detail.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2016, 08:28:01 AM »

I was reminded this weekend of some super-basic things that we could cover and haven't. Mainly mechanical replaceability where Zero wisely picked, say, footpeg mounts that match other bikes. I just don't know how to confirm that quickly other than with my V-Strom.

For each part we really just need one popular bike that uses the same parts.  For example, I am looking to upgrade the foot pegs on my 2014 Zero S.  Now that I am putting on more miles per day the stock foot pegs just aren't cutting it.

I would like to get a set of these pegs from Revzilla that have rubber padding and flip out heel rest for longer rides.  But they need a bike specific mount.  I'm sure the mount that is meant for some other bike will work fine for the Zero...but which one??  I'm tempted to buy the mount for a bunch of different bikes and hope that I find one that works and then return the rest...of course...I really don't want to do that....but I really want more comfortable pegs.  I know I could just use DS pegs as suggested during our conversation...which would definitely be better than the S/SR pegs....but I think I could do better...if I just knew which mount.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kuryakyn-switchblade-foot-pegs
2014 Zero S

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »

I'm still the primary contributor to this website by far. I'm wondering what factors inhibit participation:

• Time.
  • Knowledge.
  • Wiki syntax.
  • Editing difficulties due to large pages or not knowing where to add things.
  • Generally feeling intimidated.
The documentation is large enough now to split up into more pages, and has enough to motivate some rationales for how to organize it. On the other hand, shaping a wiki into pages usually is never reversed because of the effort involved.

Is the wiki already useful enough that it's unclear how to improve it?

This might sound daft, but the platform and my daily routines probably have something to do with it.  I keep up with the forum thanks to Tapatalk on my phone.  It's something I check during lunch breaks (like now). It's very convenient and easy to view content and do a quick reply to a forum post. Using a web browser on a phone is more awkward and often requires two hands. One to hold the phone, one to zoom in and out. Also, updating a wiki feels a bit more involved and more like doing real work at a desk, rather than just idly texting.

I can't say time, because one way or another I've spent many hours on here thanks to my phone and Tapatalk. Perhaps it's context. When I'm sat at a desk, it's always at work and I'm always busy enough to need to focus on that.

Great work though Brian! I'll be sure to pay the wiki a visit soon and I do want to make some time to contribute if I have some worthwhile material.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2016, 06:03:03 PM »

Or maybe I'm just a bone idle lazy bum? I'll let you decide... ;-)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2016, 12:26:26 AM »

You're not lazy or daft. Updating a wiki is definitely involved. I'm a little disappointed that MrDude wasn't able to install some kind of wysiwyg editor. I know PHP is a royal pain on some levels so am not criticizing. Hopefully something can be done to make it more accessible.

I will say that I often keep the syntax reference open in a browser window just to sort out my edits, especially for tables.

For what it's worth, there are apps for Wikipedia which format it really well and add ways to navigate more easily on a mobile device. I should see whether I can get a good experience by targeting our wiki with one of those.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2016, 04:43:37 AM »

You're not lazy or daft. Updating a wiki is definitely involved. ...

I will say that I often keep the syntax reference open in a browser window just to sort out my edits, especially for tables.

For what it's worth, there are apps for Wikipedia which format it really well and add ways to navigate more easily on a mobile device. I should see whether I can get a good experience by targeting our wiki with one of those.

It's not that complicated but it's definitely not optimized for phone use.  Mostly is a matter of making sure you're registered, logged in, and clicking edit. I always preview before posting, but it's better to make incremental improvements rather than to hold back because it's not perfect. It can't be improved if it was never entered.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2016, 11:07:46 PM »

Bumping the thread to indicate some updates and promote awareness since the FB group often has questioners who are unaware of it:

State of purpose extended a bit: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Why_an_unofficial_wiki%3F

Common Mods grew enough to warrant an outline: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications

The manual is growing by quite a bit and I spent time hunting down a bunch of factoids to clarify whatever I could. http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual

I added a State of Charge section in the battery area just to try to tackle that conceptually.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2016, 12:53:18 PM »

More updates:

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »

You're doing incredible work on the wiki!

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2016, 09:27:30 PM »

Could the Wiki have a section to post questions?  I know its basically what we do on the forum but sort of like a "want to buy" or "looking for" section maybe titled "want to know" or "seeking answers"
Sometimes it's hard to think of info to put out unless there is a need to remind someone of what they already know.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2016, 02:37:25 AM »

Could the Wiki have a section to post questions?  I know its basically what we do on the forum but sort of like a "want to buy" or "looking for" section maybe titled "want to know" or "seeking answers"
Sometimes it's hard to think of info to put out unless there is a need to remind someone of what they already know.

Good point! I think we're finally at the point where the questions don't overwhelm the lack of answers.

That's what discussion pages are for, if you've ever poked around Wikipedia long enough. Each page gets a "discussion" page where you can post. Click on the "discussion" tab for any page to make/update one.

I made a trivial start for the Manual page:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Talk:Unofficial_Service_Manual

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2016, 11:36:34 PM »

I considered NEW2Elec's question further, that there's room for something high-level like the Usage page for problems that might require a combination of solutions, like:
  • reducing standover height
  • staying warm in cold weather
  • getting more performance
  • trading performance for efficiency
  • offroad customizations
  • carrying larger cargo items
Aside: while editing this morning, the site went down ("Cannot access the database"). Hopefully that's temporary or just for periodic maintenance.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2016, 01:42:47 AM »

I considered NEW2Elec's question further, that there's room for something high-level like the Usage page for problems that might require a combination of solutions, like:
  • reducing standover height
  • staying warm in cold weather
  • getting more performance
  • trading performance for efficiency
  • offroad customizations
  • carrying larger cargo items
Aside: while editing this morning, the site went down ("Cannot access the database"). Hopefully that's temporary or just for periodic maintenance.

I should have been notified if it was down for any reason. I'll go pull up the logs now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11