• May 06, 2024, 02:42:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Level 2 Charging on an FX?  (Read 2300 times)

Rugby4life

• View Profile
Level 2 Charging on an FX?
« on: July 26, 2017, 08:54:56 AM »

I test rode a new DS and FX a few weeks ago. I'm almost sold on an electric motorcycle as my next daily commuter. Going into the test ride I anticipated liking the DS more but the FX surprised me with it's flickability. What's holding me back is the FX's very limited range. Plus I'm a big guy so my mileage will be on the low end of the range estimates.  However, we have an extreme abundance of J1772 chargers in this area so if anyone has installed a level 2 charging setup in an FX, let me know how you did it.
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Level 2 Charging on an FX?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:37:46 AM »

Yes, if you're comfortable making the bracket yourself and paying the high cost of the aftermarket parts. Otherwise it is electrically okay to do and seems like it would allow you to use the FX how you would like to.

I've seen up close an FX with a custom fabricated bracket off the seat bolts and rear that holds a DigiNow SCv2 3.3kW charging system, with Tesla destination charging inlet (and J1772 sleeve adapter from Tesla to allow passthrough of J1772 EV charging station). The Tesla destination charging inlet has a rifle scope cover over it that flips closed to keep out dust / moisture. Operation is simple:  Ride up to the charging station, and while key ignition is still on and so contactor engaged from running, insert the charging plug from the EV charging station (Tesla or other activated J1772). After the charging has started you can turn and remove the ignition key and leave it to charge.

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 06:33:13 AM »

That's good info Shadow. Do you know where the charger is on the FX and is there enough room to replace it with a more powerful level 2 charger? Also, I know Zero dabbled with a ChAdeMO set up in 2013 but had communication issues with some of the west coast chargers. I heard that most of the east coast chargers do fine (especially at Nissan dealers). DC fast charging should fill the 6.5 pack in short order, opening up a whole new realm of usability.
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 07:16:06 AM »

That's good info Shadow. Do you know where the charger is on the FX and is there enough room to replace it with a more powerful level 2 charger? Also, I know Zero dabbled with a ChAdeMO set up in 2013 but had communication issues with some of the west coast chargers. I heard that most of the east coast chargers do fine (especially at Nissan dealers). DC fast charging should fill the 6.5 pack in short order, opening up a whole new realm of usability.

I've seen the same FX bike that Shadow has. It's mounted on the tail via a custom bracket to sit behind the seat, and anchors to/under the seat.

Here's a teardown photo showing the FX components. The onboard charger is up in front:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#X_Platform_Routing

The onboard charger is quite small so I'm not sure whether something would fit there.

The Zero CHAdeMO solution was only for S and DS bikes at the time and required a charging circuit overhaul. The equipment in general is expensive ($1800 for the inlet and wiring), not productized for a Zero, and not worth your time compared to a good L2/220V charger:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#CHAdeMO

Just get a DigiNow v2 or equivalent; it'll charge a 6.5 FX in under 2 hours for only several pounds' worth of payload. You can't charge a Zero faster than an hour, anyway.
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Charging_Off_Bike
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 07:38:07 AM »

Nevermind, I took a fully charged FXS on an endurance test drive today. Running on back roads, mostly in eco mode, I was only able to get 46 miles. I did invest 7% in sport mode on an especially inviting set of twisties. Granted, I do weigh almost twice that of an average rider. I was a prop for my college rugby team and haven't gotten smaller over the years. As much as I like the FXS' flickability and pep, it comes up about 10 miles short on what I would be willing to accept. Oh well, there's always the DS.
Pages: [1]