• May 04, 2024, 11:57:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TeslaTap question  (Read 987 times)

vinceherman

• View Profile
Re: TeslaTap question
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 12:39:30 AM »

Did that one have a Power Tank?  Perhaps the only one in the group that did?
No, it was the charging station.  We tried several combinations of bikes and taps and all failed until someone thought to extend the wait time dramatically.
Then, boink!  Charging.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 02:28:25 AM »

No, it was the charging station.  We tried several combinations of bikes and taps and all failed until someone thought to extend the wait time dramatically.
Then, boink!  Charging.
How long did you end up waiting?

There have been times I waited a full five minutes to get them to work. The problem is I don't know if it would have worked at three minutes and I do not want to need to start all over again by trying.

I hope they come up with a better way. An indication when ready is what would be best.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 07:44:20 PM »

How long did you end up waiting?

My falling blood sugar was telling me that we fiddled with all the bikes for about 17 hours.  But I think it was waiting for the 60 second mark for that last station to behave.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2021, 02:01:28 AM »

Got to try mine out today for the first time and I was successful.  I plugged the adapter into the charger connector and by the time I got my tank bag out of the way and the chargeport cover open a little over 30 seconds had elapsed.  Plugged it into the bike and it worked like a charm.

Disconnecting it was another story.  I can only hope that it'll loosen up with use because it was a BEAR to get that thing out of the chargetank!!  Pulling it off the Tesla cable was also more effort that I expected. 

The important thing is, it works just fine.  I tested it out close to home so now I know I should be okay if I really do need a charge in order to make it home!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2021, 03:22:39 AM »

Got to try mine out today for the first time and I was successful.  I plugged the adapter into the charger connector and by the time I got my tank bag out of the way and the chargeport cover open a little over 30 seconds had elapsed.  Plugged it into the bike and it worked like a charm.

Disconnecting it was another story.  I can only hope that it'll loosen up with use because it was a BEAR to get that thing out of the chargetank!!  Pulling it off the Tesla cable was also more effort that I expected. 

The important thing is, it works just fine.  I tested it out close to home so now I know I should be okay if I really do need a charge in order to make it home!
Always recheck after ten minutes. Some of the older Tesla destination stations turn off on their own.  It's  the older, higher power ones.  I assume the 16 KW was before they had so many fast chargers installed, as I think now all the tesla chargers are 12 KW. Perhaps they expect a higher load than my 6.3KW that I charge my DS with. I recently had that problem, even using this.

However, I had no problems charging there at 8KW to my Zero SR with powertank.

Perhaps it turns off when it doesn't see enough load. But I am only guessing what the problem is, does anybody here know?  Have others here had problems charging the smaller battery Zeros from the older higher power Tesla Destination stations?

I can still charge as long as I return every ten minutes to get a new ten minute charge.

Yeah, all the Tesla-Taps are very tight.  All of them. Even my box. I heard the problem is really on the Tesla side, they made their charge connectors a little thicker than spec and TeslaTap went with the actual spec. Sometimes it takes me 15 minutes to get them out, using a rubber and anything  else I can find.  And they have to be all the way in for the small pins to make good contact.

I don't know what the answer will be for that fix.  If they get looser with time, it will take a lot of uses. I even tried to use a small file inside mine. I think it did help a little, but not much for the amount of time I put into it.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X