• May 05, 2024, 01:34:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: QUESTION AND IDEA ABOUT ZF3.6 POWER PACK MODULE  (Read 678 times)

alko

• View Profile
QUESTION AND IDEA ABOUT ZF3.6 POWER PACK MODULE
« on: March 08, 2019, 05:03:34 AM »

Does anyone know the weight of the ZF3.6 POWER PACK MODULE?
Wouldn't it be nice to install 2 of them (1 on each side in place of the side panniers) and connect both directly to the main battery? But make it so they can easily be installed and removed by simple plug in. And use their charge tank to keep them all charged while on bike.
I never liked the idea of having to choose between the charge tank or power tank.
Must be someone on here smart enough to figure it out, because I'm not.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: QUESTION AND IDEA ABOUT ZF3.6 POWER PACK MODULE
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:15:33 AM »

Electric Terry's 2015 Zero SR has been running around with custom-welded trays to carry long-brick batteries along the side of the front frame and along the tail.

So, it can be done, but would be highly adventurous and warranty-obliterating. Also, the front sides of the frame should be your primary placement preference for the sake of safe ride handling.

I'd be happy enough with a long brick replacement for the Power Tank. Chargers can easily be moved to the front sides of the frame and belly area. I'm running with 5 DigiNow units in that configuration right now, refining the bracket mounts and experimenting and checking cable arrangements for safety + operability.

Keeping the cables safely away from trouble in prolonged exposure, or worse in the event of an accident with live DC, is more than just a warranty concern.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 06:16:56 AM »

Does anyone know the weight of the ZF3.6 POWER PACK MODULE?
Wouldn't it be nice to install 2 of them (1 on each side in place of the side panniers)

They are 20 kg (44 lb) and $2900 each.

Bike with Power Tank: 18.0 kWh, +$2900, but no room for storage or Charge Tank
Frankenbike with ZF3.6 panniers: 21.6 kWh, +$5800 with room for storage or Charge Tank

Although you'd get 20% more charge, the extra weight and drag would reduce that, warranty destroyed, looks destroyed, crash danger increased.

Mega frankenbike: replace chargers with DigiNow, add 14.4 brick in storage area, two ZF3.6 panniers: 36 kWh!
Ultra frankenbike: long brick in storage and two panniers and new suspension and fairings: 57.6 kWh. 800-mile range, are we up to one Terry-watt yet? :)

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 08:15:52 AM »

Thanks for the info. NOT worth the trouble. At least not till prices come down.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 09:17:55 AM »

Dude I told you on reddit to talk to Terry. But yeah batteries are 80% of the cost of a Zero, more or less.
Pages: [1]