• May 05, 2024, 07:46:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need help installing SAE USB accessory  (Read 1799 times)

Aikirob

• View Profile
Need help installing SAE USB accessory
« on: May 23, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »

I got a SAE to USB accessory from eBay and need to install it, can someone please provide the details as to where the SAE connector is located and what I need to take off to get to it? Pictures would help out a lot if you have them.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
Re: Need help installing SAE USB accessory
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »

I got a SAE to USB accessory from eBay and need to install it, can someone please provide the details as to where the SAE connector is located and what I need to take off to get to it? Pictures would help out a lot if you have them.
Try the unOfficial manual: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#Accessory_Power

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »

Yes and, just to say it is kind of tucked away maybe zip-tied in with the Sumitomo connector if you have one for your model year. It helps to have a mirror and a flashlight to see this if you've never seen what's in there before.

For removing the cowl I suggest a midget wrench, for which I really like my Chapman Mfg #1916 set. Go easy on the plastics fasteners into their mating surfaces, it's just a plastic rod with a hole down the center and will strip out easily. As best I was able to discern the top most fastener is slightly larger and has a washer compared to the slightly smaller two fasteners middle and bottom with no washer.

For the SAE connection I definitely recommend being prepared have some dielectric grease and heat shrink tubing to seal that well.

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »

worked it out, had to take the seat off to get the tank plastics off and found the SAE cable under there, link to the final product on this youtube video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRN2ZtbXeNw&feature=youtu.be

Blotman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 10:29:26 PM »

Haha! The air filter mod on the helmet is pretty wicked! Very nice!
'13 Zero S ZF12.5, '15 Zero SR ZF12.5

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 01:49:25 AM »

Thanks matey, going to do some more mods to the helmet. But might buy a better shaped helmet first

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 06:58:39 PM »

Installed one on my DSR two weeks ago ('16).  Followed the instructions in the manual and the connector was not tied down, just stuffed in with the other 12v connector.   Now I have Waze on the bike...  Took an hour or so to figure out the tank plastic's screws.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

dolfndav

• Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »

Has anyone tried this with a power tank?  I fear its removal is more cumbersome, but not sure tbh
2016 S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 10:02:47 PM »

Has anyone tried this with a power tank?  I fear its removal is more cumbersome, but not sure tbh

For this, you'll want to focus on accessing the plug from under the front of the frame. It will still help to remove the tank plastics and you'll want the best possible lighting to see under there. I don't know how well the Power Tank is strapped in but at ~40lbs weight it's not easy to lift out. NB I don't have a Power Tank but do have the Supercharger V1 which at half that weight is still a bulky piece of equipment in the way.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dolfndav

• Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 10:54:17 PM »

Thanks for the guidance.  I've got the day off so got the nerve up to remove the tank plastics, but still have no idea where this illusive connector is lol
2016 S

dolfndav

• Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 11:07:19 PM »

A few photos of what I'm seeing. Not sure they help though do they? The last couple were my attempt at looking at what was under the front of the frame. Thanks again for the assistance.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

*moderator edit* add width= bbcode tags to images for display on mobile devices
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:22:05 PM by Shadow »
2016 S

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 11:28:08 PM »

Remove that nut/washer from the threaded tie-down rod in the first two pictures either side, and that unit should lift up and out. Then take more pictures :-)

dolfndav

• Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 11:47:19 PM »

Removed the tie-downs, but there isn't enough slack on the one orange cable coming up from underneath to remove the unit.  Is the brown connection area a connector that can be removed or are the connections hardwired through the brown connection point?  Headed down a serious rabbit hole lol
2016 S

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 12:45:44 AM »

I defer at this point to Terry or anyone else who has hands-on with the PowerTank module.

Logically though that brown connector is safe to connect/disconnect some minutes after the bike is off and the contactors (switch inside battery turns on/off battery to outside of its case) have disabled from the bike no longer telling them to be active. But you would want to avoid any kind of large different voltage between the main battery and the PowerTank, so do not allow bike to be turned on nor plugged in to charge until everything is back together. - Resist temptation to test your 12Vdc connections you are uncovering until *after* the PowerTank is reattached.

The brown connector should be only as hazardous to handle as the bike's Aux charging port would be, which is to say they are designed to prevent finger contact but still be mindful don't stick that threaded rod into the contacts, and possibly is the same connector as the aux charging port. Those brown aux charging port connectors can be bolted or secured with additional hardware (or zap straps) but are likely just a plug with a few pounds of force to connect and disconnect.

Glad if you document with more and higher-resolution photos. There's people who have done this before but not receently with such a clean stock bike and taking good photos :-)

dolfndav

• Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 01:23:19 AM »

Ok, so I mustered up a bit more courage and it's just a connector that can be pulled out with a little force. Took a few additoonal pics, and I believe I found the SAE connector. Let me know if you concur.  My shop light went Tango Uniform, so these pics are a bit darker.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2016 S
Pages: [1] 2