• May 08, 2024, 05:02:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Brainstorm - Hydrogen Fuel Cell/Battery Hybrid Motorcycle – Zero/Horizon  (Read 6766 times)

dc5dd

• View Profile

I thought I would "concluded" some of the ideas and thoughts that we had on this thread so I wouldn't leave people hanging about what might come next.  Anyway, I've had the 2014 SR for a little while now and I can say that it is a great bike, I'm not sure if that means anything since I haven't rode much before the SR interestingly the thing is that a lot people transition from the Vstrom which was what I had.  For me the ability to finely control the bike was one of my greatest motivations to switch to the SR that and my beginning hobby on riding didn't mix well with all the hills in Missouri and shifting.

Mostly I was stuck on this statement:
During an ordinary charging cycle, when the cells are balanced, the charger (not the BMS) senses that the power pack is full and terminates the charging cycle with a “green light.” The BMS does have a redundant back-up mechanism to prevent overcharging of the power pack. If the charger fails to terminate a charging-cycle when the power pack is full, the BMS will terminate charging itself to prevent damage.

This is on page 6.10 of the 2014 manual and 6.6 of the 2013 manual.  I know that most would either disagree and semi disagree with this statement but I did some research into this and I believe that it is true.  The BMS serves as a backup in this case and if everything goes "smoothly" with the charging then the charger would terminate the charging.  Having redundancy in the system is important especially if it is charging and protection of the battery.  The other question that came up was that the charger (Meanwells) are a dumb devices that doesn't monitor charging so my thought was to trace the Meanwells into the battery box to see if there is a monitoring circuit that would prove that the charger does monitor charging under normal circumstances.  I haven't done that yet as I'm having too much fun to start taking the bike apart. 

Also as I mentioned before I would like the fuel cell system to be as much plug and play as possible and with that the idea was to use the on board charging path or the main vdc bus.  The on board would be easier but limited in that if I was to upgrade to a 3kW fuel cell it would not take the current.  Biff mentioned that I would have to be rolling for a long time to turn on the fuel cell to charge the battery and that got me thinking about an experiment to verify this.  A gas 1kW generator could be used.  I would have to switch it on on the highway or something and monitor the SOC after the ride.

This would be a temporary solution to get the fuel cell working in theory and a good first step, beyond that would be to connect to the main vdc bus which gets all sorts of complicated.  Anyway I haven’t verify any of this just hypothesis but once I have some time to get the cover off the charger I’ll be able to verify the monitoring circuit.  Also have to borrow a small generator. ;D 

Anyway that's it for now.  Just wanted to share thoughts and ideas, also to thank all that shared their ideas and thoughts.  Thanks

BSDThw

• View Profile

I know that most would either disagree and semi disagree with this statement but I did some research into this and I believe that it is true.  The BMS serves as a backup in this case and if everything goes "smoothly" with the charging then the charger would terminate the charging.
I completely agree - even the 2012 Models are doing this. The Delta-q has an algorithms to reduce current when reaching maximum voltage and also the 72 hours check comes from the Delta-q.

The other question that came up was that the charger (Meanwells) are a dumb devices that doesn't monitor charging.
Owning a 2013FX shortly I have more understanding for the Meanwells used there. I woundered that I could never find the Meanwells even being familiar with Meanwells for my 2012 Project - the reason is it is not an ordinary power supply it is meant as a LED Driver.
The Meanwell HLG-320H-54 exist in different versions [A; B; C; D;] I had only a quick pry under the tank-cover and as much as I remember it is a type A but modified. The type A has the possibility to adjust voltage and current with an internal potentiometer. I saw cables running out the housing not belonging to a standard type A - I guess Zero has modified the chargers for there need. I am not sure if it is only to switch off the charger but if I had to develop it I would use the voltage and current adjustability to scale the charging. I remember a sticker Hi and Lo or similar at the two Meanwells. You always need 2 HLGs in series to reach 116V for the battery-pack maybe one is regulating current and one voltage?
Modified:
I have found out what it really is: the cables Zero attached to the Meanwell HLG-320H-54A are only NTC thermistors glued to the case. Reading the datasheet says "OVER TEMPERATURE Shut down and latch off o/p voltage, re-power on to recover" so if not stopped before it will stay OFF till re-powered!
:(

so my thought was to trace the Meanwells into the battery box to see if there is a monitoring circuit that would prove that the charger does monitor charging under normal circumstances.
As I could see this additional cables are connected with the MBB. (I reckon the intelligence comes from there)
As much as I understand since 2013 the battery is driven by CAN communication.
(all this is taken by observation and is not proven!)   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:59:47 PM by BSDThw »
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

dc5dd

• View Profile

BSDThw,

The leaked presentation tells that the Meanwells are indeed HLG-320H-54A.  I've looked into these and they are LED power supplies with a number of protection features.  Thanks for the info on the MBB it helps when you know what you are looking for  :D

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]