• May 07, 2024, 05:37:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero S - Makeover  (Read 3471 times)

cloroxbb

• View Profile
Re: Zero S - Makeover
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 11:40:08 PM »

Man, I definitely want to do something like that to my S. Any tutorials you used? I would be a total noob when it comes to doing something like this. I actually really like the paint job you did on the bike.
'16 Zero S 9.8

Electrobike

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 02:41:01 AM »

Well, I didn't know anything about painting a bike before, so I watched a lots of youtube video about that.
I you want to do this, here are some advices :
- I highly recommend you to take the time to prepare what you need and where you will do it before starting
- If the part you want to paint is varnished, use sand paper to remove it
  - if it's a metallic part, use also sand paper to remove the paint
  - if it's a plastic part, be carful and gentle, not to scratch the plastic
- Some plastic part do not requiert sand paper, just clean with a sponge, water and soap, then dry before applying new paint.
- DO NOT use Acetone / Propanone to clean plastic parts unless you want some melt marks on it ;)
- If you can't remove the part you want to paint, protect it with cardboard, newspaper : and be sure they don't fall while you paint !
- Start the paint in a well ventilated place, the vapors of the paint are not healthy to breathe (careful of flies, dirt, and leaves if you do it outdoor)
- Watch videos on youtube about it, there is plenty of advice about all you need to know to be prepared

Last but not least : If you completly failed a paint, remember you have sand paper and paint to try again later :)

for the stickers, well..those are stickers, anyone can put stickers ! (hair dryer can help modify the shape of the sticker, but not to much else it will shrink and break)
Zero S 2019
Please excuse my bad english, not my natural language ;)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 04:01:41 AM »

Bikes are 'small' so you can always re-do things without much lost time.

We re-painted our CB to be a rainbow gradient... It was really fun.  I bought some extra plastics to paint on my Zero.  They're really cheap, as parts go ^-^

-Crissa

PS - I have some extra basic tanks that came with my bike.  If anyone wants one, I'll send it if you cover shipping ^-^
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 04:04:50 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 02:30:25 PM »

That really looks good!

It's the fastest Electric Repsol KTM in France!

I'm very partial to orange. Zero really ought to consider tasteful, sporty multi-color schemes like this. The bikes would draw attention everywhere they went and advertise Zero (maybe their production is maxed out and they don't need advertising).

My only paint job was after I crashed a GSXR-750 at Buttonwillow and destroyed every piece of plastic on it. I fiberglassed and sanded for hours and painted it Sunshine Yellow (which was absolutely horrible). I spray painted outside, and there were constantly gnats and bits of plant litter falling on it. I'd never try that again, but I wouldn't spray in my garage either, so I'm not sure what I'd do. Anyway, I re-crashed it shortly thereafter and scrapped it.

cloroxbb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 09:43:31 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for the advice.  Will probably give it a shot this winter when I can't ride it.
'16 Zero S 9.8

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 04:01:46 AM »

Tent, Curt!

Or paint it and then wheel it inside ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Electrobike

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 04:13:30 AM »

Sorry but waiting winter is a very bad Idea, I did my paints in the summer because the paint has to be applied in a range of temperatures.
For exemple, the one I used, must not be applied under 15°C

I didn't do it in one week but many weeks one or two part at a time

in this one I just did the bottom side, and what you don't see is : the other side is not painted ;)

Then some weeks later, the top grey area freshly painted : same here, the other side not done

The look was not perfect for some weeks, but hey ! the satisfaction of doing it yourself and the final result : completly worth it !
Zero S 2019

cloroxbb

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 04:45:02 AM »

Makes sense.  Probably do it part by part.  Slowly over a couple seasons.  Thanks again.
'16 Zero S 9.8

Electrobike

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2023, 05:39:16 PM »

hey ! @cloroxbb, 3 years later..... did you paint your bike ? Pictures required !   8)
Zero S 2019
Pages: 1 [2]