• May 21, 2024, 03:12:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DIY CHAdeMO?  (Read 2322 times)

BenNelson

• View Profile
DIY CHAdeMO?
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:51 AM »

Can anyone help me find some information on pairing CHAdeMO with an electric motorcycle?

I have a CHAdeMO inlet which I salvaged off an electric car. I have a Vectrix, running at about 135V nominal (18 Nissan Leaf cell modules.)

I know nothing about CAN, but if I can find a good source, I can learn.

I'd like to be able to connect CHAdeMO for charging the motorcycle. Most of what I can find about CHAdeMO and EV motorcycles was from ZERO toying with it and then it NOT working. My understanding is that part of the problem was the pack voltage and not all CHAdeMO chargers actually being up to spec. I hope that having a little higher pack voltage, and a few years having passed, that maybe I COULD do CHAdeMO on my cycle.

The big deal with be CANBUS for communications. I know there's a few BMSs out there can can do that.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
-Ben Nelson
300MPG.org

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: DIY CHAdeMO?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:58:42 AM »

Hey Ben,
Nice to see that you found EMF again ;D I toyed around with CHAdeMO on my Zero before I went back to AC. The kit was based on stuff frome EVTV, I can try to dig up the libraries and programs from my NAS if you'd like. Even for a noob like me the code was pretty understandable.

BenNelson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 05:42:44 AM »

Thanks, Erasmo,
Anything you could dig up for me would be great! Thanks in advance!

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »

Erasmo,

Back to AC, why? Chademo didn't work? Or unreliable? Or a risk of overcharging or damaging the battery?

I'm pretty sure there are alot of guys here who are interested in Chademo or CCS (DC mode 4) charging.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 04:15:20 AM »

Send Ben some stuff, I hope he can use it.

Erasmo,

Back to AC, why? Chademo didn't work? Or unreliable? Or a risk of overcharging or damaging the battery?

I'm pretty sure there are alot of guys here who are interested in Chademo or CCS (DC mode 4) charging.
It worked, a bit to good actually. Accidentally blew the main fuse trough the aux port. I was lucky enough that they fixed it under warranty. This was late 2015, early 2016 when the best AC charger still was the 2500 Elcons iirc. About a year later more powerful chargers like the SC became available.

Yes you sacrifice a lot of weight and a top case, but for now I can come by with AC plenty good. Even though in the Netherlands you're rarely more than 30km away from a CCS/CHAdeMO fast charger on pretty much every street corner there is a 11 or 22 kW AC station where you can charge a Zero at or near 1C, upping the flexibility a lot.
DC is the answer for the next generation of electric motorcycles but for now they are in a perfect niche where AC is about as fast. As far on auxiliary charging, CHAdeMO isn't that hard to realise, it's basic canbus and after a few safety checks you just tell it how many amps you want at what voltage. CCS on the other hand is much more complicated to reverse engineer.

Yayosaki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 01:12:05 PM »

I believe that this information will make many people know and understand more.
Pages: [1]