• May 07, 2024, 12:47:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charge Tank Accessory - Factory vs Dealer Install  (Read 1823 times)

Delnari

• View Profile
Charge Tank Accessory - Factory vs Dealer Install
« on: November 18, 2016, 06:30:27 AM »

Placed my order for a 2017 Zero SR with Charge Tank last Saturday at my local dealer.  Asked a couple days ago if the Charge Tank was a dealer or factory install option.  They said it can be done either way, dealer installed as add-on accessory, or installed at the factory during the build order.  For those that don't know, the Charge Tank is a complete replacement for the stock tank cover, but without the lockable storage trunk.  Here is the kicker, if you order a new Zero with the Charge Tank from the factory there is no discount given for the part (full retail price), and you don't get the original tank and locking storage trunk.  That is a big deal for me as I want to keep this very nice new feature from the 2017 bikes.

After going a couple rounds with the dealer as to why this is so, and a confirmation e-mail from Zero Motorcycles confirming, I changed my order to the '17 Zero SR without the Charge Tank installed, and ordered the Charge Tank as a separate accessory.  The dealer said the installation will be included by them when the part arrives, and is the same list price for the Charge Tank the factory charges for it.  The plus is I get to keep the original tank and lockable storage trunk should I need/want to convert it back to original stock order.  Upsetting to me that Zero would sell you an accessory as part of the build and keep the original part.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:33:11 AM by Delnari »

Delnari

• View Profile
Re: Charge Tank Accessory - Factory vs Dealer Install
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:17:39 AM »

Had my new Charge Tank installed today.  The dealer was getting a hands-on instruction from Zero reps today and asked the reps to help out with the Charge Tank install.  They allowed me to come back and watch as they removed the original tank and installed the new one with the Level 2 charge plug.  Interesting part of the install is how the 110V charge port on the side of the bike is removed and then connected to the new 220V charger unit to allow the internal power connectors to work with the new unit.  A connector from the new charger is then re-attached to the side port for 110V charging.  The tech said the internal charger is rated up to 100 Amps so faster Level 3 charging is possible in the future for our Zero bikes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:19:27 AM by Delnari »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Charge Tank Accessory - Factory vs Dealer Install
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:26:30 PM »

Nice, thanks for the write-up. It's good to hear that the procedural knowledge is getting passed to at least some dealers directly.

I will clarify that by "the internal charger is rated up to 100 Amps", I'm pretty sure you must be referring to the battery admitting up to 100A before opening the contactor, which is not exactly an internal charger. Also Level 3 charging can exceed that, and getting a Zero to work with a Level 3 station has been elusive for a few years, sadly.

But yes, we'll get there, I'm sure.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]