• May 06, 2024, 11:19:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lanesplitter/ Jalopnik Zero review  (Read 2687 times)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: Lanesplitter/ Jalopnik Zero review
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 09:43:57 AM »

They rode only on the street, as far as I can tell, and it seems to me he's commenting on their overall performance, not just their "supermoto" cred.

I think you need to lookup what a supermoto is.
I'll give a brief history.
in the 70s, there was a made for TV series that took the best paved track racers, dirt track racers, and motorcross riders, and made a "equal" series with some high speed asphalt, some dirt. mild jumps. The  bikes were dirtbikes with road tires.
It went ok, then died in the USA. It took off in europe, but remained distant from the USA until around the early 2000s.
In the early 2000s, a bunch of politics made the 4 stroke motorcross bike competitive with the 2stroke... 4strokes became common.
This let the idea of putting sportbike size wheels on a motorcross bike more feasible. it took off like gangbusters with anyone that liked to turn fast, jump, or otherwise be a hooligain. Instead of stunting on a 450lb sportbike with little suspension travel, you can wheelie on a bike made for it, with the 12" of suspension that a dirtbike offers, and the grip of the latest sportbike tires.
so if you like to attack the turns, theres a lightweight bike. If you like to ride it hard, hitting jumps, it does it. If you like to mess around and cause trouble, its the go-to machine.

Its not for long trips. Its not for commuting. its not for trail riding or going hard offroad... its mostly for fooling around on in the manner that 18-29 year olds like to do on motorcycles.
Its NOT for posers. Its NOT for looking cool. Girls dont like your dirtbike with funny small wheels. Cruise in guys dont like your odd looking bike near their polished frame sportbikes with LED lights. Cruiser guys dont like you doing wheelies in their parade.  Its not for them.
Its sole existence is to dick around on in a manner that would be called irresponsible at best. 
That is the essence of a supermoto.
That is why if it cant wheelie on demand, it is not a supermoto.

Weight is a funny one.

The SR is lighter at 407 lb.

According to google the average WET WEIGHT is 428 lb.

A 2015 Yamaha R6 (what I use to own) is 417 lb.  You can easy lighten a R6 with a illegal exhaust system, but I don't think you will save 10 lb.
I donno about the R6, but most sportbike exhausts contain the cat, and a valve to limit the noise when at street RPMS... so my CBR1000RRs exhaust weighed over 10lbs. It was ridiculous.
In anycase, most journalists and armchair riders compare advertised weights.

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 05:18:43 PM »

[URL]https://youtu.be/ulhuBxhP8m0/URL]

"Needs to wheelie to be a super moto"

Does that count?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 05:47:06 PM »

[URL]https://youtu.be/ulhuBxhP8m0/URL]

"Needs to wheelie to be a super moto"

Does that count?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

We've already established the fx and fxs can wheelie if you roll off then wack it open at the proper speed/rpm.
It can't do it from another speed, faster or slower.  An autoclutch CRF50 is easier to wheelie.

LeftieBiker

• 42 Years of Motorcycling - 13 years with EVs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 05:53:11 PM »

"Electric motorcycles get a ton of people that just want to go from point A to point B. the same people that also speak softly and dont eat beef."

Heh. You know who eats a lot of beef? Harley riders. They also drink a lot of beer, and thus must be the pinnacle of motorcycling prowess. This vegetarian motorcyclist is interested in a bit more than two-dimensional geometry...and two-dimensional stereotypes.
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR
Too many electric bicycles to list, mostly EZIP

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »

"Electric motorcycles get a ton of people that just want to go from point A to point B. the same people that also speak softly and dont eat beef."

Heh. You know who eats a lot of beef? Harley riders. They also drink a lot of beer, and thus must be the pinnacle of motorcycling prowess. This vegetarian motorcyclist is interested in a bit more than two-dimensional geometry...and two-dimensional stereotypes.

I knew I shouldn't have made a vegetarian joke. Vegetarians do not have a sense of humor.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 12:23:23 AM »

A younger co-worker of mine was interested in buying a motorcycle. He knew I had ridden for years so came to me with a question, "Which is the best bike?" I told him that there was no answer to the question because it depends on what the intended use is. He kept asking "Which bike is the best?" I said it is a matter of personal preference. The next day "Which is the best bike?" I finally figured out the answer so I told him, "The very best bike in the entire world is...... the one you're riding!" He bought a Ducati.

Say10

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 01:27:09 AM »

A younger co-worker of mine was interested in buying a motorcycle. He knew I had ridden for years so came to me with a question, "Which is the best bike?" I told him that there was no answer to the question because it depends on what the intended use is. He kept asking "Which bike is the best?" I said it is a matter of personal preference. The next day "Which is the best bike?" I finally figured out the answer so I told him, "The very best bike in the entire world is...... the one you're riding!" He bought a Ducati.

Say10
I used to love people like that. It was a steady stream of discount Ducati parts. (I used to commute with a ducati, and it always needed something random)
Now.. I just get sad because I know they will never learn to ride properly, and either scare themselves, or crash.. then stop riding. They may even preach later about how it was too dangerous.

LeftieBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 11:36:10 AM »

"I knew I shouldn't have made a vegetarian joke. Vegetarians do not have a sense of humor."

Since I actually made a joke in the same post, I'm guessing that you just have trouble recognizing humor. Sounds like a BMW rider.  ;-)
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »

We've already established the fx and fxs can wheelie if you roll off then wack it open at the proper speed/rpm.
It can't do it from another speed, faster or slower.  An autoclutch CRF50 is easier to wheelie.

What about 2014/2015 FX promotional video, lots of wheelieing in those. Seems to be at low speed, not mid speed.

Could they have been riding with only one battery or in ECO mode??? Or has the FXS been "detuned" from the 2015 FX?
Nothing was mentioned about the different modes in the review.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:03:04 PM by grmarks »

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 07:38:32 PM »

"I knew I shouldn't have made a vegetarian joke. Vegetarians do not have a sense of humor."

Since I actually made a joke in the same post, I'm guessing that you just have trouble recognizing humor. Sounds like a BMW rider.  ;-)
See?! This is exactly what I was talking about!  LOL

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »

What about 2014/2015 FX promotional video, lots of wheelieing in those. Seems to be at low speed, not mid speed.

Could they have been riding with only one battery or in ECO mode??? Or has the FXS been "detuned" from the 2015 FX?
Nothing was mentioned about the different modes in the review.

As someone else posted from Zero the FXS isn't detuned it is the same exact bike inside the forks and rear.  The key is the wheel size the FX has a 21 front and a 18 rear which starts it off a little fork high.  While the FXS has two 17 wheels so its more level and I would assume, since I don't wheelie, you would need to really give it a lift with the handle bars to get it going.  For me it's kind of like a burn out an attention getting trick that most people are watching just to see if you mess up and hurt yourself like a circus high wire act.  But if that's what someone wants to do and it makes them happy than wheelie away.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 09:07:27 PM »

Oddly, I found that joke more true than funny since I have a 17-year old granddaughter who is a strict vegetarian and she has no humor.  In fact, when I or her mother tries to tell her a joke, she says (in all seriousness) "Do you really think that is funny?".  On the other hand, her 15-year old sister is a meat (and pizza with meat toppings) eater and loves jokes and cartoons.  So there just may be something to that observation.   ;)

And speaking of BMW motorcycle owners: the BMW forum that I frequent (each morning before visiting this one) has a joke section that has over 1500 posts so far - and it gets about 10 jokes and cartoons added ever day.  Just about all were posted by people in the U.S. and Ireland.  ???  So BMW owners can recognize a joke - especially after buying a BMW motorcycle.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 09:48:44 PM »

Not a Vegetarian, or, Vegan here, well Las Vegan, but, different pronunciation, but, a person's humor level may hinge upon WHY the chose the lifestyle.
Strictly because they believe in health benefits my not affect humor. If they are doing it because of doom and gloom, trying to save the planet, it may
be a different story. Not really sure how this fits the topic though.  :) 

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 09:58:54 PM »

Not a Vegetarian, or, Vegan here, well Las Vegan, but, different pronunciation, but, a person's humor level may hinge upon WHY the chose the lifestyle.
Strictly because they believe in health benefits my not affect humor. If they are doing it because of doom and gloom, trying to save the planet, it may
be a different story. Not really sure how this fits the topic though.  :)

It doesnt, but vegans have to have a beef with something.

LeftieBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 07:15:51 AM »

Any lifestyle that makes you think multiple times a day about the pain and damage being wrought in the world makes it a bit harder to be laid back than one that lets you do whatever you feel like doing, but some people do manage it. I've always had a good sense of humor, according to those around me. It's less funny when people direct jokes *at* you, personally, or everyone with your philosophy, than you might expect, though.

I don't doubt that there are thousands of jokes on the BMW site, but are any of them funny?  ;-)
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR
Pages: 1 [2] 3