• May 15, 2024, 01:45:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Reasonable efficiency in watt hours per mile  (Read 5143 times)

Tater McTatums

• View Profile
Re: Reasonable efficiency in watt hours per mile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »

Updated screenshot from the app so it's a fair comparison.
2014 Zero SR ZF 11.4

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 10:57:01 PM »

I have not been using the app much as of yet but that is interesting.   It makes me wonder about a few things though.   I stated that assuming 5kwh and 65wh/mi I should expect about 76 miles per charge.  I however during driving home without charging at work making a round trip of 36 miles was at 33% charge.  I am no math guy but I think that given that data I would have only made it to about 50-60 miles.  Might need to do do some more research on this.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 11:41:26 PM »

Tater that is when you look at total pack SOC left when you are done and manually divide in your miles traveled ;)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Tater McTatums

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 01:35:31 AM »

Assuming that the app is correct on the amount of total kWH used, then the math for the app checks out. I don't know how many kWH the dash believes I've used so I can't check the math for that. Honestly I'm not overly concerned with it, was just something I noticed and figured I would share the info.
2014 Zero SR ZF 11.4

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »

My app claims 89 Wh/Mi on my 2013 DS 11.4, after 13.5k miles. I'm surprised it's that low, but traffic does drag a bit around here.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 08:55:22 PM »

I'm just a bit over 100Wh/mi at 55mph on my SR with a windscreen.  If I tuck it stays a smidge below 100.

A little over, like 110, 120?

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 01:49:01 AM »

Hi folks, despite recently buying a Honda NC750S DCT and putting my electric motorcycle ambitions on hold for a few years, I obviously can't help keeping an eye on this forum and thought I'd pitch in here.

I am getting approx. 60 mpg at 70 mph. With 1 Imperial gallon being the equivalent of 44.11 kWh it means I'm using 670 Wh of energy per mile, measured, as you are, at the point of being fed to the motor.

In rough terms, your Zeros are 6 times more efficient in pure  energy usage. If you then consider the 6 kWh of electricity used to refine that gallon of petrol, you could probably ride your Zero for another 60 miles, maybe even at 70 mph or close to it.

Lots of reasons to be happy about the efficiency of your bikes I'd say!

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 11:47:11 PM »

I took my bike off road over the weekend and had a blast.  My only prep for the bike was to remove the mirrors and my windscreen.  I have yet to put the windscreen back on so I took the chance to compare my numbers and found driving the same route at the same speed I have gone from 50-60 Wh/mi to 65-75 Wh/mi with no windscreen!  So yes the wind screen does help with efficiency by a reasonable amount.  It makes sense really.  Wind hitting your chest vs wind being deflected by a windshield makes a difference.  I can't get the small windscreen to get the air over my helmet as of yet though.

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 01:35:11 AM »

This is what I am getting on my Zero S so far.

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 01:38:17 AM »

2015 model

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 09:34:24 AM »

I show 96 wh/mi, but that makes no sense. I have a 14.2 kwh battery, so I should be able to go 142 miles if I consumed 100 wh/mile, right? But after ~2000 miles, I can say that going from 100% to 20-30% is about 70-80 miles of riding. That's ~142 wh/mi.  So either a) the percent charge is only a fraction of the true charge (ie, zero percent charge is not zero, or 100% charge is not 14.2 Kwh), or b) the calculated wh/mi number is wrong. I guess there will be charger loss...

Actually, I charge my bike through a kill-o-watt meter, and going from 30% charge to 100% charge is usually only 6-7 kW hours of electricity usage . So... using this as the reference, the watt-hours/mile is roughly correct ( 70 miles/ 7 kw-hour/mi = 0.1 kw-hr/mi = 100).... but that would mean my battery pack (11.4 + 2.8 power pack) only has about 10kwh true capacity (zero charge to 100% charge). So who to trust? I guess the Kill-o-Watt meter is the true outside reference, everything on the bike is just the mfg. claimed energy usage. So that's about 2 cents per mile energy usage... hard to complain.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 05:57:59 PM »

The 14.2 kWh battery has about a little more than 13 kWh of useful charge.  Check the Zero app next time you recharge your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 08:14:47 PM »

My 14.2 S shows 13.22 kWh when fully charged on the Zero app.  Also, I once ran the battery completely down to "0" %, after riding 140 miles at an average 40 mph (a guess, my speeds varied from 30 to 55 mph) and it took 15 hours to fully recharge.  The Kill-A-Watt meter showed something like 17 kWh after the bike was fully charged and the batteries balanced.  I might also add that when fully discharged, the packs showed around 160 mV difference and when fully charged they (still) show 2-3 mV difference.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

jozsef.samuel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 01:11:26 AM »

So I have about 500 miles on my 2015 FX and have been messing around with a windscreen and some basic riding techniques and drive modes.  Before I put my windscreen on I was averaging about 75-85 wh/mi at an average of 40mph.  Now with my windscreen installed and being tuned it I am getting around 60-70 wh/mi at the same average speeds.  This is great as it shows what just a little aerodynamicals can do for efficiency!  My problem is that I have no idea if this is a good number or not so great.  I would like to see what other people's average watt hours per mile is (with average speed).

One thing I did not expect was that using the same MX style helmet that tried to rip my head off from the wind at 65mph was able to increase my efficiency with the new windscreen due to the visor acting as a second wind deflector!  If I tuck a few inches wearing this MX helmet I lose almost all wind noise and my efficiency change to 55 wh/mi.  Using a standard round helmet I can only get about 70 wh/mi!  Again though, I have no idea if these are good numbers or not....any input is good input. 8)
Hi, I'm thinking about windshielding my FX as well, can you post several pictures of your setup so I'll have a chance to see how you've managed to get these great results?

Sent from my CT9716 using Tapatalk

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 06:25:48 PM »

Yes I can do that sometime this week.  Because I have been riding off road a bit I have had the windscreen off for a few weeks with an additional 500 miles or so on the bike.  What I can tell everyone from my experience is that as far as the watt hours per mile the wind screen makes a huge difference.  Driving the bike exactly the same on the same roads at the same speeds for several weeks with and without a windscreen I have seen low averages of 49wh/mi for with a windscreen to 60wh/mi without a windscreen.  I have seen my battery percentage range between 60% without a windscreen to 73% with one on a one way trip to work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3