• May 04, 2024, 01:15:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Gas trike becoming 2013 Zero electric!  (Read 15261 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Gas trike becoming 2013 Zero electric!
« on: February 16, 2013, 12:51:10 AM »

Now that Zero is openly selling the components and kits for their entire 2013 power-train I will soon start a project to convert one of my home-built (Yamaha) trikes from gas to electric. The trike I will use is my second one, which was made from a 2006 TW200 dual-sport motorcycle. Both of the Yamaha conversion trikes I have built have been very successful dual-sport, street legal, ATC's and have seen lots of dirt and pavement. Now I'm so spoiled by electric propulsion I don't ride them anymore  :-[

I will post the progress and photos under this thread so please don't hijack and change the subject in replies. Also I will answer any questions about the project, unless an answer would violate the non-disclosure agreement I will have with Zero.

The project will not start in earnest for several weeks as I clear my calendar of other things and will also be dependent on shipments from Zero.

I'll start now by attaching a photo of the trike I will be converting. This one is newer and has less mileage than my first trike.

Trikester

emotofreak

• View Profile
Re: Gas trike becoming 2013 Zero electric!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:46:29 AM »

Sweet! Looking forward to it :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:53:02 AM »

This should be interesting.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

keperkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:14:35 AM »

Looking forward to following this thread.  Obviously I missed the fact that you can buy components.  Can someone start a new thread with those details if this is not the right place.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:23:55 AM »

Inquire of Zero.

Trikester

sgmdudley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »

I was getting ready to sell my 2012 S-9 because I can no longer ride on two wheels.
I would like to do this trike conversion also. What parts are you getting from Zero?
Is the front end still available as a kit?

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:39:09 PM »

I'll be getting the whole drive-train kit from Zero. I haven't decided yet for sure but at this point I'm planning on the 5.8 kw (2 batt modules) with the 400 amp controller and the 75.7 motor.

I built the two trikes each starting with a TW200 motorcycle and then using all of the front end components from the YFZ450, Yamaha ATV. Plus the sway-bar from the Yamaha Grizzly 660 quad. There has never been a kit for this and I definitely needed my machine shop tools (mill, lathe, shear, brake,etc.) Plus the services of an excellent TIG welding person and lots of chromoly steel tubing. The front end parts etc., cost in the neighborhood of $5K The first trike cost me about $12K and the second one about $10K to build (including the bikes). When I add the approx $7,500 for the Zero power-train to the second trike I'll be at about what I paid to buy my CanAm Spyder, when they first came out. But I'll bet I'll ride it more than the Spyder.

I'll attach a photo of both of my "Yamaha" trikes. The things that look like drum brakes on the front are not. They are adapters I designed and machined to adapt the TW200 motorcycle front wheels to the ATV hubs so I could use the stock hydraulic disk brakes from the YFZ450. I'm proud that both came out looking like they were factory built. That was the first comment a Yamaha dealer said when he saw them.

I doubt that Yamaha would ever produce a trike conversion kit because of the liability. They all got scared away by the rear-dual-wheel trikes commonly called ATC's and the numerous law suits. All trikes should be built with the dual wheels in front so that a tip-over can be stopped by quick deceleration or braking. The rear-wheel trikes just flip faster when you try to burn off speed. Also you can't run over your own foot if both wheels are in front. ;D Many of those law suits were about that.

Sorry I don't have an easy answer for you to build a trike from a 2 wheel motorcycle. But if you decide to go that route your have my many good wishes for success. 8)

I hope this serves to answer all future questions about building the trike itself. My focus here will be on the conversion to electric power.  :)

Trikester

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:46:08 PM by trikester »

Richard230

• View Profile
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »

I will post the progress and photos under this thread so please don't hijack and change the subject in replies.

We do have a habit of going off-topic on Trikester's threads, but let's not go to far on the discussion about 'the other trike' here.  ;)

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 11:37:33 PM »

We do have a habit of going off-topic on Trikester's threads, but let's not go to far on the discussion about 'the other trike' here.  ;)

Thanks Tudor! :)

As I mentioned before I want to document the progress of the conversion of my gas trike to Zero's electric drive components here. Not discuss the merits or demerits of trikes, or brands of trikes, or building trikes. Someone else can start a thread on that if they wish, but I would think that unless their trike thread is all about electric trikes it wouldn't fit the electric forum purpose.

Triokester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 06:15:46 AM »

If all goes well with my return from Utah this week I will start dismantling the ICE parts from my trike in preparation for the electric conversion. I received the 2013 FX drive-train components just before I left for Utah, so I wasn't able to begin work on the conversion.

The first thing I need to do is to get my trike started so I can drive it to my shop. Last time I tried, the whole electrical system was dead. >:(

Been having fun in Utah but now it's time to get serious! ;D

Trikester

ReverseTrike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 11:25:11 PM »

Hi Trikster,

Now that you have your FX drivetrain, can you give us a better idea of the cost and the component list. This setup will be so much more reliable and complete than me buying a million parts from different vendors. I for one would appreciate it as I am working on a reverse trike too. I do not see this being offered through their website and do not want to start calling them until I have all the necessary details in place.

Thanks

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »

I purchased the FX drivetrain kit from Zero. "Out the door" total cost with CA sales tax was $8,800 and change. I had added the Hv to 12v converter for lights etc. I still need to purchase the throttle assembly which I didn't realize was not included. I guees that is because Zero doesn't know what the end use will be.

They have a complete list of kits and individual parts with prices. You will have to sing a non-disclosuer agreement and have that on file at Zero before any purchase.

I'm still waiting for a schematic, although it probably isn't necessary since things plug together. However, being a retired electronics eng It just doesn't feel right to proceed without a schematic.

Trikester

ReverseTrike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 03:26:00 AM »

Thanks a bunch Trikester and yes I will need the 12v converter too so the price with it is even better.

I am assuming that this is for the 5.7kw setup. BTW, I have looked and the off the shelf cost of something like the Agni with all the add ons is at leat $8000 brand new and it is not plug and play. I wish you and zero luck.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »

A little spendy, but probably about right for an OEM-equality powertrain. I assume that's batteries + charger + controller + motor?

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9