• May 04, 2024, 11:33:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Gas trike becoming 2013 Zero electric!  (Read 15265 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Gas trike becoming 2013 Zero electric!
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »

How is the FX power train; at your 2012 (DS) we had the BMS in the battery-box and the MBB on the top of the battery-box. Do you have also some separate MBB?
Is your system assembled with the bluetooth interface?

The MBB is a separate module which I will be mounting soon. I understand that it does have the Bluetooth in it. The MBB will be the first item to be mounted on the actual trike frame. Up until now everything has gone onto the original TW200 motorcycle frame.

It doesn't use a heatsink but I'm going to make an aluminum mounting plate for it just to give it more support. It's a potted module with a plastic mounting flange (one hole) at each end.

Today I extended the signal wiring between the two battery connectors. Had to make a twisted quad cable as a part of that 11 wire bundle. Those wires are easy to work with because they are all 18 gauge stranded. I learned today that Zero has an extender cable for sale but it was too late, I had already cut the bundle of wires.

Attached is a photo of the twisted cable going in. No replies about my messy work area please  ;)

I just realized that there are a couple of old Lucas magnetos showing in the background. The motorcycle world has changed a lot since those babies were built. If someone had suggested a practical electric motorcycle they would have been laughed at.

Trikester
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:22:08 AM by trikester »

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »

Great work !

No worrie I know messy tables take a look of my 3 different project going on in a part of my lab :)

So i guess that you also have on the 2013 these important connections like what is called the: Battery Throttle Enable, ON signal to BMS etc?

I have discovered that on the 2010 and 2011 battery we can use the zero battery alone with any device that can work at that voltage and have the battery fully protected.  We just need to properly connect these signals  and have the BMS to start and also the contactor inside... without the need of the MBB.

This is really usefull when come the time to make some battery capacity test and have it to cut at the right low voltage.

Doc

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »

I always liked the saying: "A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind".  ;D

I have not made any attempt at this point to determine what signals the wires are for. I did get a schematic (protected under the NDA I signed). It is so physically big that I had to print it on a number of letter size pages and tape them together, so it is difficult to use. I was so anxious to get my project started that I put off understanding the connections until later, since I didn't have to make up the wiring harness myself.

Now, at this point in the project, I'm thinking that before I install the harness I should identify connections with those on the schematic so that I understand my system better. I also got help from Zero's engineering on how to hook up a reversing switch electrically, but I will have to have Harlan's help in the program changes to make it work. I don't have the knowledge or the tools to make software changes.

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2013, 10:48:19 AM »

Here's photos of the extension of the battery signal wiring cable, before protective covering and completed task.

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »

I've mounted the MBB and the three low current fuse holders. Also, not wanting to work with all of this wiring with the battery connectors actually plugged into the batteries, I held them in position using some scrap Plexiglas and "C" clamps'. The clear plastic lets me see the connectors as I'm routing the wiring.

I have been working without the high current cables in the connectors to make it easier. After these photos were taken I installed the high current (+) & (-) cables and contactors. The three high current motor drive connections have also been extended and hooked up. Now back to the low current signal wiring.

When I'm finally done with Zero's cabling then I have to deal with Yamaha's 12 V wiring which right now is just hanging loose. I'll be doing the 12 V cabling and lighting connections from the DC DC converter last.

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 09:06:32 AM »

Here is a lot of the wiring harness in place and hooked up. Can you say "rat's nest"?

I have not had to extend any more wires after the cable between battery connectors. All connectors have been able to reach their intended sockets. I found a convenient place to mount the charger input connector right where it ended up on the harness (see photo). I was glad that the motor sensor cable reached without having to extend it. Zero Eng said I could run into RFI pickup problems if it got too long.

I have to decide if I'm going to use Yamaha's wiring and hook into it with Zero's 12 V supply or purchase Zero's lighting harness and rewire the whole lighting system. Zero's harness is $99 but in the end it could be easier and less messy than combining two different manufacturer's harness' and different connectors. In writing this I have just about talked myself into Zero's harness.  :)

BTW - In their catalog they call it a lightning harness. I prefer lighting to lightning  :o

Trikester

Mr. Fisherman

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »

Trikester, I would love to spend some time in your shop. Those trike projects are awesome and I would love to check them out.
I was interested in building a leaning side car for my WR250X so my dog could come out with me. I already drag a pretty decent trailer with it.
If you lived closer I could be a pest.

Great work so far. I am looking forward to the rest of the story and the adventures that follow.

Thanks for sharing.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »

I'll keep posting as I progress.

I did decide to order Zero's lighting harness. I think it will be better to take Yamaha's harness completely off the trike and start from scratch.

As far as adventures after completion - the first is probably going to be some magazine coverage. A person, who is affiliated with a number of international motorcycle magazines, was in my shop looking at the project. He said that as soon as it's done he wants me to take it to a dirt riding area for photos. That will be interesting but of courser some prior testing, out of sight of cameras, will take place first. ;)

Trikester

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2013, 09:57:59 AM »

A good use for the old gas filler hole - the dash.

Zero supplies the MX dash with the powertrain kit. I had to extend the 5 wire cable by 6" so that I can plug the connectors together before mounting the body (tank). With the batteries in place there would be no way to reach the connector with the tank already in place.

Trikester

Mr. Fisherman

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2013, 11:43:14 AM »

That looks pretty clean. Getting closer...
Can't wait for video of the initial run.

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 08:35:29 AM »

Nice use of the little tiny TW gas tank!
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 09:24:26 AM »

Nice use of the little tiny TW gas tank!

Yeah, every TW owner is peeved by that little tank. The consensus of opinion seems to be that you don't need much gas to get around the island of Japan.  ;)

On the other TW trike I built I had my welder expand the tank. That's one reason that I didn't pick that one to "electrify".

Trikester

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 10:44:18 AM »

As a former owner of a TW200 and an XT250 I would have to say that Yamaha did not consider fuel range to be big consideration.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »

Since I no longer have a clutch lever assembly to also act as a left mirror mount, I had to machine a mount. In doing that, I also made it a very convenient place to mount the MODE sw where I can reach it with my thumb while still gripping the bar. See photo.

The craft paper that Zero uses to pack items they are shipping makes for a very happy cat named Peaches. In the photo you can see that there are older layers of Zero's packing paper under the brand new one from the box that came today with my 12 V lighting harness in it. Those older layers have become somewhat shredded from Peaches livelier moments.

Trikester

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »

Peaches requests that you order more Zero products. : )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9