• May 06, 2024, 01:41:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: does anyone rebuild zero batteries?  (Read 1982 times)

capt_fantastic

• View Profile
does anyone rebuild zero batteries?
« on: March 27, 2019, 07:33:12 AM »

hi everyone,
new member here. north carolina resident. seems like an active and engaging community. lots of shared knowledge. hope i can give back a little.
i have a 2016 fxs. i'm installing spoked wheels using fx hubs and a husqvarna 701 like headlight. then a paint job. promise to share.

however, first thing's first. i took a spill a while back. rode the bike for six months with no issues but then one of the batteries died. zero say i'm out of warranty because of the spill, fair enough. but they want $2800 for a replacement. #nope

i have a volt and my oldest has a prius. done the battery rebuild thing but not on this scale. what's inside the casing on a zero battery? is it just an array of 18650's? i can probably figure out how to find an unbalanced cell or bad connection myself. alternatively is there someone with experience offering this as a service?

flattetyre

• View Profile
Re: does anyone rebuild zero batteries?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 07:44:25 AM »

Your battery uses pouch cells from Farasis. More info on the unofficial zero manual. To repair basically you would determine which of the cells are serviceable, remove the offending one(s) and reconnect. That's after opening the thing and it should be pretty well protected. Of course you would then end up with a different pack configuration unless you have spare cells to add.

Endless-sphere is the place to go for more info. I doubt you'll find anyone who will rebuild the pack for you economically, but they will definitely help you complete the process yourself.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 11:45:36 AM »

The trouble with Zero batteries(unlike the car based ev cells) is that the cells are encased in epoxy or resin of some kind since the switch to the Farasis cell line(>2012). It is extremely difficult to remove even one cell, and rebuilding isn't even done by Farasis themselves.

So I'd say no, noone is going to rebuild your FX batteries, and not for less than what Zero quoted you for a new one.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 10:48:16 PM »

The Farasis battery price is factored into the list price (a third to a half). It's *most* of the reason Zeros cost more than regular/ICE motorcycles.

(In addition to the good comments above...)

You will not be able to achieve the same density by using cylindrical cells, and assembling a pouch pack is going to cost you money and time, in addition to requiring significant skills in interconnecting the cells and putting in safeguards.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 03:45:46 AM »

Electric Motorsport didn't seem to have much trouble dropping 24 Hi Power LiFePo4 prismatic batteries into metal boxes, hook them up to a cheap controller and then to a golf cart motor and off their GPR-S went - until the batteries puffed up and then died.    ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]