• May 08, 2024, 05:27:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dropped Bikes  (Read 1982 times)

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
Dropped Bikes
« on: October 02, 2017, 05:40:27 AM »

Dropped my SR this afternoon; 1st time in 18 months of ownership. Not sure exactly what happened.  I'd stopped for a break in a dirt/gravel parking area (Round Valley Regional Preserve, Bay Area, California). Had taken my helmet off and set it on the ground. Think I was settling the bike down on the kickstand and the ground wasn't as level as I'd thought, and/or I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been. Bam! Minimal scratches to bike, major damage to ego.

I've dropped bikes several times. Perhaps oddly, all have been at under three mph. Only one was truly frightening.

So, for discussion, how many of you have dropped your Zero (or other bikes) , and how often? Am guessing this happens more often  off-road.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Emtkopan

• View Profile
Re: Dropped Bikes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 06:09:22 AM »

I've done it a few times.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 06:54:23 AM »

I did it once since owning my Zero- last week on a paved roadway when stopping for a traffic light.  I put down my right foot and discovered a steeply crowned roadway that I wasn't expecting and my bike and I fell over.  I couldn't pick it up by myself, but the young lady in the SUV behind me apparently wanted to continue her journey, so she got out of her car and helped me pick my bike up. The only scratch on the bike was a little abrasion on the edge of the mirror, which I returned to new with a little bit of light sanding and some Black To Black solution.  The only real damage was that the right foot peg shattered and I had to ride home with one foot on the pivot area.  Upon reaching home I discovered that the passenger peg was an exact replacement for the rider's foot peg and, with the help of a set of expanding snap ring pliers, I replaced the foot peg with the passenger's part in about a minute. The only damage to me, was to my ego, just like you.  ;)

I guess it is that time of the year.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Rugby4life

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:36:34 AM »

The only damage to me, was to my ego, just like you.  ;)

I guess it is that time of the year.  ::)

Well, it is Fall now.  ;D ;D ;D
"Before attempting to beat the odds, first determine if you can survive the odds beating you."

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:04:35 AM »

My Zero was the only bike I had never dropped - then my 18-year-old son took care of that for me. I was getting ready to go for a ride and he hopped on it when I had my back turned. He made it about 2 feet down the driveway before it got the better of him and down he went. Broke my brake lever and scuffed up the mirror. He blamed it on the weight of the bike! After I realized he wasn't hurt he (and probably the neighbors) heard a few choice words from me.

After that incident I managed to drop it on my own. I went to pick up some take-out and parked on a downward slope - something I had done several times before on my Honda with no issues. I put the too-short kickstand down and as I was getting off the bike it rolled forward, fell over and knocked me flat on my butt. I jumped up and looked around to see if there were any witnesses - thankfully no one saw (that's the most important thing, right?) I hurriedly started to pick the bike up but it was still pointing downhill and with no parking brake or gears it got away from me, went down, knocked me over and deposited me on my butt again. This was getting ridiculous so on the next try I made sure to squeeze the brake lever as I lifted it which is what I should have done in the first place. I was in such a hurry to get the bike up and not be seen that I made even more of a fool of myself. Such is the peril of vanity.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »

All I'm admitting to right now is that I felt it necessary to install the drop bars on my SR.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

doorsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »

Embarrassed to say one low side and one high side on my fxs in 4 months. Damage to a mirrors first time and a hand guard second time. Otherwise bike is spotless besides scratches on foot pegs. Jacket and helmet scuffed up but still good. A few bruises only, thankfully.  Both times picked up bike and got going again. Pretty impressive.

tamjam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 07:26:33 PM »

Just once so far in 12 months of ownership...I put the (too short) side-stand down on what I perceived to be a flat driveway but it actually had a slight downslope so the bike rolled forward and fell over. That side-stand is really about the worst designed thing I have ever seen...so now if I ever have to park on any kind of downslope, out comes the brake lever lock.
2016 DSR

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 07:36:47 PM »

Just once so far in 12 months of ownership...I put the (too short) side-stand down on what I perceived to be a flat driveway but it actually had a slight downslope so the bike rolled forward and fell over. That side-stand is really about the worst designed thing I have ever seen...so now if I ever have to park on any kind of downslope, out comes the brake lever lock.
+1

Had the same issue once, even while mounting on the bike :( :( :(
Needed to replace the kickstand thereafter.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 10:16:42 PM »

So far just once, but it's a DSR so it's bound to happen.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 12:19:06 AM »

Twice for me in 15 months of ownership.  First time was the day I took delivery - maybe it's a crash rather than a drop, since I hit the throttle too hard on a right hand turn after a stop sign.  Second time, I found it laying down in the parking lot.  A brief storm hit and either someone knocked it over or the wind did it.  Both times, the brake lever snapped.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 04:23:19 AM »

I drop my SR every few months.  The one closest to the OP's description
was when I absently didn't extend the kickstand far enough and then the
hill's slope put me off balance and I didn't give me a chance to correct.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 06:49:35 AM »

Once. I was rolling it backwards out of the shed and down the slight ramp. I forgot to put the kickstand up and as it went down the ramp, the kickstand caught and pushed the bike over away from me. Cracked the plastic right about where my knee goes, cracked the turn signal.

skoleskibe

• View Profile
Dropped Bikes
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 08:58:50 PM »

Dropped my SR this afternoon; 1st time in 18 months of ownership. Not sure exactly what happened.  I'd stopped for a break in a dirt/gravel parking area (Round Valley Regional Preserve, Bay Area, California). Had taken my helmet off and set it on the ground. Think I was settling the bike down on the kickstand and the ground wasn't as level as I'd thought, and/or I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been. Bam! Minimal scratches to bike, major damage to ego.

I've dropped bikes several times. Perhaps oddly, all have been at under three mph. Only one was truly frightening.

So, for discussion, how many of you have dropped your Zero (or other bikes) , and how often? Am guessing this happens more often  off-road.
Odd.
Didn't think a gyro cyclist was supposed to tip over !
;-)
Had a tip over this summer when the sidestand slipped on some cobbles in the city center. All that worried me was "Shite,,,,Any one seen it!!!!"
No harm to the bike as i fell with it and that up against a big tree. Had a hard struggle to free myself from between the bike and the tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:24:55 AM by skoleskibe »

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 06:01:40 AM »

I don't have a Zero yet, but I dropped my first motorcycle a Kawasaki Ninja 250 twice.  :-\ The first time was when I stopped in front of my house on a sloped street and leaned over and the bike went down with me. The second time was before I took a safety course or really knew how to ride. I was riding around my block and tried shifting from first to second but instead shifted into neutral while making a turn and panicked and fell over. Honestly after that I knew shifting wasn't for me and have had only automatic motorcycles ever since then. That's just one of the reasons I love Zero motorcycles and hope to have one soon.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)
Pages: [1] 2