• May 05, 2024, 03:48:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Southern California Dealers and DSR or SR with powertank ?  (Read 11865 times)

06z

• View Profile
Southern California Dealers and DSR or SR with powertank ?
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:08:34 AM »

1. I'm very interested in possibly getting a DSR or a SR with a power tank and want to know what So Cal dealers you have had a good experience with.

2. Also do they haggle on the price as if it was a Honda or Yamaha?

3. Do you think I could get 67 miles total, I am 220 pounds and need 46 miles of 75mph on the freeway and 21 miles on city streets with the powertank.  This is my total round trip commute.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Southern California Dealers and DSR or SR with powertank ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »

3. Do you think I could get 67 miles total, I am 220 pounds and need 46 miles of 75mph on the freeway and 21 miles on city streets with the powertank.  This is my total round trip commute.

Well that's easy to do, with a windscreen like the Touring screen or have a look at the CalSci windscreen.

I regularly get 70mi range no-matter-what, or if I'm riding slower at like 65mph I can reliably get 100mi range. My bike is the 2016 DSR with a touring screen.

*edit*   note the Powertank adds a lot of weight and probably not as useful as having a digiNow SuperCharger to speed up recharge time.

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »

You get 70 miles of range and that is without a powertank?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »

I've met Shadow and while neither he or I weight 220lbs, we do get more than that range on our DSRs. I get about 100 miles range with a good windscreen. If your day job lets you charge up somewhere at a spare power outlet, this concern could go away, too.

If you're in LA, Hollywood Electrics is the best dealer, over in West Hollywood.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:53:25 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:03:13 AM »

I've met Shadow and while neither he or I weight 220lbs, we do get much more than that range on our DSRs. I get about 100 miles range with a good windscreen. If your day job lets you charge up somewhere at a spare power outlet, this concern could go away, too.

If you're in LA, Hollywood Electrics is the best dealer, over in West Hollywood.

Thanks Shadow and BrianTRice.
I can't charge at work as I have a ELR and they will not let me charge it. Big corporations suck some times. I didn't know that Hollywood Electrics is a dealer. Will definitely check them out.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »

You get 70 miles of range and that is without a powertank?
My personal record is 169.1mi and 2% SoC remaining. For reference that was 40mph or 45mph average speed and a drop in elevation of about 5800ft, and I'm about 180lbs plus I was carrying 30lbs or so of cargo.  Yeah, ideal conditions for range but no powertank there.

More usual is like when I rode 85.8mi and 19% SoC remaining, at 55mph carrying 35lbs of groceries. This tends to drop to 1mi range per percent SoC the faster I go towards 70mph. Faster than 70mph up to 100mph you could theorize that range drops to 1mi per two percent SoC but there's nowhere to legally go that fast around here.

I bought mine at a dealer in Reno after taxes for the same as MSRP, and that was with the dealer selling essentially at their cost.

If you're 220lbs rider no question go for the 2017 SR or DSR. I think the 2016 has just enough torque until I'm carrying 40lbs of groceries in the top case, and then it's a little noticeable!

When deciding SR or DSR it depends how long you are, all other things are close to equal. I cannot flat foot the DSR in flat shoes but I got some boots with higher arch support and it's close enough for me. The SR is very natural to ride hands-off compared to the DSR which of course has a higher center of mass. I wouldn't dare take my hands off the bars on a DSR in a corner. Comparing the clearances of the SR and DSR where I ride in the mountains and off-road trails, I am glad I went with the DSR for doing things like riding up or down a set of stairs. You can do these things on an SR but I would worry about the clearances. I rode a loaner 2016 S model for awhile and that's how I know the differences.

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 11:37:09 AM »

On the specs page the 2017 SR gets 81 miles at 70mph on the highway but the DSR only gets 70 miles at 70mph. Why is there such a big difference?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »

On the specs page the 2017 SR gets 81 miles at 70mph on the highway but the DSR only gets 70 miles at 70mph. Why is there such a big difference?

The DS' stock tires have higher rolling resistance, and slightly larger frontal area from being a bit taller yields more drag. The larger front wheel probably adds a little more drag as it spins into the wind.

You can get some of that range back with more street-oriented tires (5%), and both bikes benefit (5-10%) from a windscreen.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »

06z - check out Hollywood Electrics at 901 N Fairfax Ave right on the corner of Willoughby opposite the Oki Dog.

They have been the #1 Zero dealer each year for 7 or 8 years now for good reason.  They have the best customer service because they are the only all electric motorcycle dealer.  That is their specialty and they know their stuff.

Unless you really need to go offroad, I'd say just get the SR as it will give slightly more range. 

Get it first without the powertank or aftermarket charger or charge tank, and ride it and see what range you get at the speeds you ride and with your aerodynamic drag and riding position.  I have a power tank and really like it.  It lets me ride faster on the highway when I want and not worry about range at all.  I also carry a supercharger but you can do that in a top case too.

Basically the first step is to go into Hollywood Electrics and test ride both to see which you like better.

Good luck getting your first Zero!
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

06z

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »

Thanks Electric Terry
They sound like the dealer for me.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 02:13:58 AM »

I talked to Harlan (Hollywood Electrics owner) back in Dec and he had a 2016 DSR w power tank that was a demo with about 3k miles on it at a very nice price.  It would still get you the CA tax credit.  Drop all of our forum names (ok just the other guys) but Harlan will treat you right.
Good luck.
Pages: [1]