• May 06, 2024, 03:04:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Are Zero Motorcycles overpriced?  (Read 6093 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Re: Are Zero Motorcycles overpriced?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »

Perhaps leasing the entire bike instead of just the battery? Do something similar to how cars are leased? Not sure the motorcycle community is ready for something like that though. With the rapidly evolving technology people may go for a 2-3 year lease option and then repeat with the latest model.

If you just lease the battery you will pay far more long term than if you just bought it up front. And what happens when you want to sell the bike after several years? The new buyer may rapidly end up paying more for the battery than the entire bike. Think about how appealing the battery leasing fees would be to a potential buyer.

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »

The difficulty with leasing an electric bike is that the estimated residual value data required by law (at least in the US) in the lease agreement will reveal to the consumer the ridiculous depreciation rate on these things. None of us wants to know that up front, right?  :o

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 11:38:51 PM »

I think Zero could do that with the FX and its removable battery modules.  But I would imagine that the S and DS models would require a complete redesign to make their batteries replaceable by the owner. 

I know that I don't like the idea of paying any monthly fees after my initial purchase of a vehicle or anything else where I am not paying for an obvious service.  That is why I always pay cash for everything that I buy and never buy anything on credit.  Plus, once I buy something I never want to feel like the seller has me on the hook and will raise the monthly cost at will once I have taken the bait.  So I would not be a customer for battery leasing.  Personally, I would rather pay more upfront and own the batteries.

I see your point Richard and excuse me for making presumptions but I would guess you are doing quite well financially.  Many (probably most) people don't have the capital available to buy something as expensive as a Zero in cash.  Having the ability to essentially insure the most valuable part of the bike against depreciation makes a lot of sense for people who are already stretching to buy a Zero.  Hire Purchase would give you the option to stay with your battery and buy it at the end of the term or continue paying each month but getting an upgrade to a newer battery.

PL3

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 02:51:51 AM »

What price are people actually paying "out the door" for 2014 models?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 03:21:04 AM »

What price are people actually paying "out the door" for 2014 models?

The out-the-door price for my 2014 Zero, with power tank, windshield and top box was about $21,000.  About what I would pay for a new BMW boxer (which seem to be selling very well) around here.

I can afford the price of a new Zero because I have my home paid off, have no other vices other than riding motorcycles, don't owe anyone any money, am a cheapskate about everything but motorcycles, live by myself, buy a new car once every 20 years, have a fat government pension and free full-coverage medical insurance (another government retirement benefit).  Plus, I only spend $30 a week on food.  It is all a matter of priorities.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 04:20:28 AM »

It's a shame governments don't step in and help stimulate the market by providing proper subsidies to early adopters. These bikes would make a perfect replacement for thousands of commuter bikes and smoky 2 stroke scooters in many cities. Vastly higher sales would expedite EVs becoming mainstream. Economies of scale would kick in etc, etc.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 04:41:30 AM »

It's a shame governments don't step in and help stimulate the market by providing proper subsidies to early adopters. These bikes would make a perfect replacement for thousands of commuter bikes and smoky 2 stroke scooters in many cities. Vastly higher sales would expedite EVs becoming mainstream. Economies of scale would kick in etc, etc.

I just received a check for $900 from CA as a rebate for the purchase of my 2014 Zero.

There is still hope that last year's U.S. Federal IRS rebate for electric motorcycles of 10% of their cost will be continued when the Congress considers the Federal budget (and income tax deductions) later this year - probably after this year's elections.  I kind of expect them to just roll over the IRS code rather than try to make any changes for this year.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 03:32:34 AM »

I just received a check for $900 from CA as a rebate for the purchase of my 2014 Zero.

There is still hope that last year's U.S. Federal IRS rebate for electric motorcycles of 10% of their cost will be continued when the Congress considers the Federal budget (and income tax deductions) later this year - probably after this year's elections.  I kind of expect them to just roll over the IRS code rather than try to make any changes for this year.

Better than a kick in the bum but a long way from making electric bikes cheaper than their petrol counterparts and thereby giving a proper incentive for the masses to go and buy them. IMHO the tipping point needs to come sooner rather than later. Once EVs are truly mainstream then the govt can reduce the subsidies and no doubt they'll find new ways of taxing motorists.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »

BTW, I think it would be fair to change the title of this thread to "Electric" motorcycles instead of singling out Zero.  Particularly since both Zero and Brammo motorcycles are similarly priced. 

I would hope that a financing mechanism to lease the battery would bring down the price of both brands of bikes.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »

BTW, I think it would be fair to change the title of this thread to "Electric" motorcycles instead of singling out Zero.  Particularly since both Zero and Brammo motorcycles are similarly priced. 

I would hope that a financing mechanism to lease the battery would bring down the price of both brands of bikes.

Brammo will be leasing their bikes (not their batteries) this year, so no doubt Zero and perhaps other motorcycle companies will be keeping an eye on that program to see how it works.  To my knowledge, no other motorcycle company has ever developed a leasing program for their vehicles.  I don't know why, but there must be a reason.  I can recall my BMW dealer lamenting that BMW should have a leasing program but he said they weren't interested.  He also wanted BMW to come up with a prepaid maintenance/servicing plan like some of the car dealers have, but that never happened either.   ???

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 09:44:58 PM »

I like to buy things rather than rent them. Then you don't have to deal with insurance either other than liability. If you rented the battery you would probably have to insure it since it isn't yours. If not, then if the bike is stolen or wrecked, you would still have to pay for the battery each month or have some settlement expense. Since the battery is really not a stand alone item but part of the bike, a lease of the entire operating bike would make more sense from the consumer's POV. I would still buy though. It is cheaper in the long run. 

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 01:55:13 AM »

A reminder: here is the program we are looking at as a model. 

"Smart’s “Battery Assurance Plus” offer works like this. A customer interested in a Smart Electric Drive model could agree to lease the car for three years for a total of $139 a month, after a $1,999 down payment.

Of that total, $59 a month would be a payment on the “glider,” or the Smart’s body, suspension, tires and other hardware, says Mark Webster, general manager for Smart in the US.

The remaining $80 a month would be payment toward rental of the battery from Smart (or Daimler.) As part of that price, the customers gets Daimler/Smart’s guarantee that the battery will retain a certain level of charge and otherwise function properly. If the lithium-ion battery loses re-charging capacity, Daimler will replace it."
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 05:49:42 PM »

$139 a month?  That is incredibly cheap.  Im paying £269 GBP per month over 3 years to buy my Zero.  If leasing was that cheap here I would definitely be interested.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 03:05:23 AM »

$139 a month may or may not be a good deal. You would have to know the resale value of the bike after 1 year or however long the lease is for as well as the down payment, plus the fine print having to do with condition of the bike and whatever other conditions they write into the lease.

I buy a couple of new bikes and new cars every year but have never been tempted to lease since I figure the actuaries who figure out all that leasing stuff are smarter than me.

bigd

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »

@dkw12002 ++++++  In the long run the consumer will lose in a lease.
Honda 1300VTX
Pages: 1 [2] 3