• May 06, 2024, 08:34:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FXS wheels on a FX?  (Read 540 times)

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
FXS wheels on a FX?
« on: October 25, 2018, 05:13:22 AM »

A dealer near me has a brand new 2018 fx that is discounted, and it seems like a good time to pick it up. However, I do a bit of both off road and city riding, and with my DRZ I have both supermoto wheels and a dirtbike setup for trails / lose gravel thats easy to swap back and forth. But for most of the time I'd be more happy with a FXS for street riding. So I've done some reading, and the factory fxs wheels will bolt right up to the fx, and a front caliper relocation bracket would need to be fabricated (not a huge deal). The road block i'm running into is remapping the ABS and speedo to work with the different sized tires. Does anyone have any experience / ideas on this? The unofficial Zero manual for the MBB covers alot of stuff, but I couldnt find anything specific about either the ABS or the speedometer there. I just want to make sure I have a clear path to a supermoto setup before I pull the trigger on buying one.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: FXS wheels on a FX?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 11:49:29 PM »

Ask Hollywood Electrics about the wheel swap.

The MBB settings require a bit of math and tuning but nothing extraordinary.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 07:41:04 PM »

I don't know what tire sizes and types are available in the FX wheels' sizes but it seems much easier to just have two sets of FX wheels for on-off road.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:58:42 PM by NEW2elec »

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 02:02:18 AM »

If I was planning to swap wheel reasonably frequently, then I'd go for another set of FX hubs and brake disk, some 17" rims and have it respoked. That way there would be no shifting the brake caliper and you should be able to swap the wheels fairly easily.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 06:04:50 AM »

Ask Hollywood Electrics about the wheel swap.

The MBB settings require a bit of math and tuning but nothing extraordinary.

I called them, they quickly shifted to try and sell me a fxs. I may try giving them a call again.

If I was planning to swap wheel reasonably frequently, then I'd go for another set of FX hubs and brake disk, some 17" rims and have it respoked. That way there would be no shifting the brake caliper and you should be able to swap the wheels fairly easily.

I thought about that too, and it wouldnt be too bad and definitely alot easier to swap. Its just the FX brake setup really sucks in comparison to the fxs.

Pages: [1]