• May 12, 2024, 11:02:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: powertank ineligible for connection?  (Read 711 times)

TEV

• View Profile
Re: powertank ineligible for connection?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 07:46:42 AM »

I also see 4mV, but I just didn't mention it, since it was between 3 and 5mV.   ;)
When the motorcycle is charging,  the voltage of each cell keeps changing, the balance value is the difference between the highest voltage cell and the lowest voltage cell,  in mV. I will gues that it will look at the pack cells and the Power Tank cells like one pack when calculating the balance.
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

motorrad36

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 10:48:23 AM »

I am going to do the zero-recommended 3x charge to 100% and discharge as close as possible to 0%. See if the balance changes in the logs to “allow” the power tank.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 08:25:14 PM »

I also see 4mV, but I just didn't mention it, since it was between 3 and 5mV.   ;)
When the motorcycle is charging,  the voltage of each cell keeps changing, the balance value is the difference between the highest voltage cell and the lowest voltage cell,  in mV. I will gues that it will look at the pack cells and the Power Tank cells like one pack when calculating the balance.

Recently, I charged my Zero to 100% SOC and left the charger connected for several hours my mistake.  I then recalled that I needed to pull the plug to cut off the charger (on my bike the green charging light and dash display stays on and the charger pulls about 4 watts until unplugged). After disconnecting the charger, I turned on the ignition and checked the app. That was when it showed 115 volts and balancing that alternated from 3mV to 4mV to 5mV. So I assume that it was providing the voltage balance by checking the two permanent battery modules and also the Power Tank.  But if anyone has any other explanation, I am "all ears".   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 12:13:48 AM »

I wish the Zero app would reveal the distinction between the main powerpack and the Power Tank in any way, whatsoever.

The cel imbalance reading is unclear to me whether it is showing for the powerpack, the Power Tank, or the maximum value read from both.

And what it will not show is a voltage difference between the powerpack and the Power Tank, which is what causes the above sequence of messages.

Try to determine the voltages of each battery via the MBB console or the logs. If they're more than 3V (I think) different, the contactor of the lower one will not shut to protect from inrush.

For what it's worth, "precharge decay too steep" could be a real/separate concern. Precharge comes from the BMS onto the main bus to put enough voltage into the motor controller's capacitor banks to avoid significant current outrush. Decay happens once precharge ends, and is measured for safety against there being an issue in the controller or on the main bus. I don't know how to read more into that, but there's what I understand from a first pass.

I generally recommend a slow (1-3kW) charge to 100%. The batteries need a slow charge in order to avoid transients as the lower battery reaches the voltage of the other battery, to give it a safe window in which to close its contactor and get the batteries balanced.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 12:14:51 AM »

Naturally, I'll try to correct this deficiency of explanations in the unofficial manual, but as usual it's about how much time I have to attend to matters like this and come up with good prose. I'll do my best, but could use help.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

motorrad36

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 06:12:42 AM »

Yes I will run it to 0% and only charge with one delta q. See what that does to it. I’ve been preferring my DS lately due to the Slightly more upright position. I’m also thinking I should start a case with zero HQ.
Pages: 1 [2]