General Category > Electric Motorcycle Events

Moto e racing

(1/5) > >>

Tricky:
Curious about Moto E racing. With the bikes being so quiet, are there any types safety measures in place to let riders know where other racers are? Mostly you can hear a bike by the motor revving, I've heard there are spotters to warn riders who is approaching?

Thanks in advance

JaimeC:
The riders can CLEARLY hear the announcers describing where everyone is.  That's something the traditional racers CAN'T hear.  Besides, most of the tracks have Jumbotron monitors for the fans that the riders themselves can clearly see (this applies to both eMoto and ICE racers).

The fact of the matter is MotoGP bikes are SO damned loud it isn't any easier to hear your opponents bikes over your own bike's sound either.

In any event, when you're racing you don't give a DAMN about who's behind you, only who is in FRONT of you.  It is the following rider's responsibility to find a safe place to pass just as it is your responsibility to find a safe place to pass the rider in front of you.

Tricky:
Thanks Jaime. Great point about Moto GP bikes being loud, I see what you mean...

I was reading a discussion about e bikes being used in motocross, and I'm compiling info from the track towards good intel for allowance of e bikes in MX. Those against them feel the lack of noise will cause issues because a racer might not know another bike was nearby? I don't feel this way, I can sense another rider on the track a few different ways, but there is a huge bias against electric bikes in mx.

Another claim is that Moto E racing has spotters around the track to communicate info to the racers during an event, I'm not sure if they mean by radio, pit boards, etc...do you have any insight on this?

Thanks, Tony

JaimeC:
Things are changing in MotoGP but for the most part the spotters are there for the track officials, NOT the racers (unless they crash and then they run out to assist the rider and get the bike out of the path of travel if necessary).  They alert race control of hazards on the track (debris, liquid, etc) and wave the warning flags when required.  The only communication to the racers comes from the flags and from boards held up by their pit crew as they pass the start/finish line.

The only flag I can think of pertaining to a rider being overtaken is when a back marker is being alerted he is about to be lapped.  It is then the rider's responsibility to get out of the overtaking rider's way as safely as possible.  In MotoGP, this is the blue flag (I think it's the same for WSBK and MotoAmerica too, but don't quote me on that).

Tricky:
Actually, the claim I read was that spotters, not flaggers, are in place to assist each rider of the whereabouts of another? NASCAR allows radio communication, but is illegal in MotoGP.
Does Moto E allow any type of communication (radio, spotters around the track, etc...) besdies the pit to the rider?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version