General Category > Electric Motorcycle Events

Charging Across America

(1/4) > >>

JaimeC:
https://ridermagazine.com/2022/03/01/charging-across-america-challenge-unveils-record-attempt-and-sponsors/

DonTom:

--- Quote from: JaimeC on March 19, 2022, 06:37:58 PM ---https://ridermagazine.com/2022/03/01/charging-across-america-challenge-unveils-record-attempt-and-sponsors/

--- End quote ---
Getting across the country is often easier on an electric motorcycle than a 200 mile/300 Km trip.  Like the one I went on two days ago, which required a gas bike. No charge stations anywhere on the entire route. And most of that was in CA, the state with the most charge stations.

The real problem with electrics isn't the distance, it's where you trying to go.

-Don-  Reno, NV

HVMoto:
I live in the mountains (California) and out of curiosity I just looked up the two nearest charge stations to my home. One is 36.9 miles and the other is 38.3 miles. That's better than I expected. In comparison, the nearest gas is 30.3 miles.

DonTom:

--- Quote from: HVMoto on April 08, 2022, 02:17:28 AM ---I live in the mountains (California) and out of curiosity I just looked up the two nearest charge stations to my home. One is 36.9 miles and the other is 38.3 miles. That's better than I expected. In comparison, the nearest gas is 30.3 miles.
--- End quote ---
That's a little too close. Best to have chargers around 50 miles from home in every direction.

If you charge at home, you have no need for charger stations to be any closer.  There are several charge stations right here in Auburn, CA that I have never used and never will, too close to be of any use.

Gas stations are different. You want them close to home. Not many have a gas station in their garage.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

togo:
The ideal distance is about 80% of your battery capacity.  It's fine to have chargers closer, but since my Energica goes 100 miles at 70 mph and lithium batteries charge fast to about 80 or 85%, what I'm looking for is the first stop at 80 miles and subsequent stops about 70-80 miles apart, 100 if I'm willing to baby it sometimes, 120 if I'm only interested in ideal conditions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version