• May 08, 2024, 12:13:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2014 SR Won't Move, No Throttle, Error 0056  (Read 447 times)

ScootCoupe

• View Profile
2014 SR Won't Move, No Throttle, Error 0056
« on: December 21, 2019, 03:09:50 AM »

So I have a 2014 Zero SR with a powertank that had the main monolith replaced around September 2018. Everything was fine until June of this year when the bike threw an error 0056 after I stopped at a friends house on June 7th. 2019 and shut it down. According to the unofficial zero service manual this means “Monolith not connected, BMS#0 is just undectable”. When I came back out to ride the bike, the dash would boot up and you could hear the contactors click but when you applied the throttle the bike would not move. Rolling the bike back and forth was met with the usual motor growling noise that the bike made. This is in the log around line 02808
When I brought the bike home on a trailer I had a strap break and the bike tipped over. Nothing bad happened, just a broken mirror and some tail plastics. When I had the bike at the house I was able to take the tank plastics off so that I could reset the monolith and the powertank BMS's. At this point the bike would work and would move under it's own power.

The bike sat while I waited on parts and had the tank plastics painted. I replaced the parts in October and finally hide some time to ride the bike again in November. The battery was still at 70% and I finally trusted the bike enough to go on a longer ride on November 21st . It was the first long ride other than around my neighborhood and it was at this point after driving for 14 miles that I arrived and shut down the bike.

When I came back out the bike had the same symptoms as before, would not move, dash boots up, no response to the throttle and it was showing error 0056 again with no response to the throttle. Someone in the parking lot was kind enough to lend me some tools to pull the tank cover and unfortunately resetting the BMS's on both the monolith and powertank did not resolve the problem.

To note, while riding the bike, which started out fine, I had severe power cutbacks such that it was hard to maintain 70mph and in the logs around line 03564 it starts showing “Batt Dischg Cur Limited”.
Out of ideas I took the bike into the local dealer where they called me today saying that they have the throttle working now but the bike is showing an error 0032, “Module Variance Too High”. When the bike is plugged in and charges it shows 100% on the dash but as soon as it is unplugged it shows 97%. The bike currently has the stock Calex charge and Zero and the dealer needs to remove the powertank to determine if the powertank or monolith has failed and want $420 for further diagnosis.

I have attached the logs from the ride on November. My question is, from the logs does this look like an issue with the powertank or the main monolith. I really enjoy the bike but to be honest, my ownership experience has been very frustrating and I’m not sure what to do.

https://home.hasslers.net/zerologparser/logs/538SM5Z34ECG03461_MbbD_2019-11-21.txt

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: 2014 SR Won't Move, No Throttle, Error 0056
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 07:22:01 AM »

It looks like your Power Tank has a higher voltage than your monolith, and is closing its contactor, and then the monolith refuses to close its own contactor because the voltage difference will cause a current spike as it closes.

Usually the way to resolve this is to disconnect the Power Tank communications harness and replace it with the blanking plug, and then use the onboard charger to activate the lower battery until it charges up to match the higher battery. If you don't have that, it's a little more complicated, but the idea is generally the same - get the batteries to match voltage and then close contactors to balance.

If your Power Tank is from 2014, the 2018 monolith will have a different voltage-SoC curve both under load and at rest, and the imbalance might be due to that. Maybe switching to a 2018 Power Tank would resolve it, but that could be expensive.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: 2014 SR Won't Move, No Throttle, Error 0056
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 07:32:25 AM »

Ill update the Error Code 56 entry to give better guidance.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]