• May 07, 2024, 07:01:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why all Zero owners should quake in their boots and run for the hills!  (Read 1344 times)

qorw

• View Profile

Hi All, I wonder how many of you know it is common practice for Zero and their Dealers to take parts from your bike, that happens to be in the dealer's workshop at the time, in order to replace faulty parts on other owner's bikes for so called "warranty" replacements!? Just because Zero and their suppliers are too useless to keep replacement parts in stock!? (and probably because they are actually all really crooks)

Its the second time it has happened to me now. If you read my other posts you will see that my 2014 Zero DS has been in the dealership for almost a year now since Zero's failed firmware update messed up BIG TIME! Zero offered to buy the bike back eventually cause they could not repair it 100% but in the middle of that process the dealer went into liquidation. When I tried to get the liquidator to release the bike to me  even though it was finally reassembled with a new battery, BMS, DC-DC and Mainboard , but still had charging and dash error issues (rather than lose it to the liquidators) I was told today they CANT, cause it is lying in pieces, seat off, side cover gone, charger stripped off!!!

They also confirmed there is another Zero DS just like mine on the shop floor and that paper work shows it was waiting for a warranty replacement charger! go figure!

In 2016 the dealer actually took a DC-DC converter off a brand new bike on the shop floor to fix the warranty claim on mine!

I mean really!! These people should all be jailed!!!

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:00:55 PM by qorw »
2014 Zero DS, 2010 BMW R1200R, 2013 BMW F800GS

BamBam

• View Profile
Re: Why all Zero owners should quake in their boots and run for the hills!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:25:07 PM »

I don't think it is that uncommon for a dealer to take a part or accessories off a new bike in their inventory (that has not been sold yet) to fix or outfit another bike.  I have a couple of friends with Harleys where the dealer did that for them.

But to take a part off of a bike that is in for service to fix someone else's bike in for service is bad business in my book.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 11:48:35 PM »

Car dealers will do this too; cannibalize a new car on the lot to replace a hard-to-get part for a customer's car.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 04:15:07 AM »

When I purchased my brand new 2002 Yamaha FZ1 from the Yamaha dealer in Daly City, the speedometer didn't work. The dealer removed a part from another new FZ1 on their showroom to fix my bike so that I could ride home that day.

That same dealer removed a turn signal module from a 2011 Zero when I bought my 2012 S after they found that the turn signals didn't work and installed it on the bike that I had just purchased.  (So much for checking the bike over and test riding it before putting it up for sale.  ::)  ) 

This dealership went out of business and sold their property a few years ago due to the owner getting tired of dealing with multiple brand franchise requirements.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Evilthor

• 2018 SR Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 11:52:06 PM »

The problem lies not with Zero but rather their dealers. I have noticed that the ones that have stayed in business a while are far more organized and professional. Unfortunately, a lot of Zero dealers are clueless guys who jumped on what they thought was a trend and did not put a professional service area together

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 06:24:06 AM »

Using parts from bikes sitting on a dealer showroom floor or in the service area is not a big deal if selected properly.

Sure, it's not ideal, but it's pragmatic and avoids stressing a procurement system that is small and only recently seems to be maturing.

Zero's firmware management, however, I do find generally penny-wise and pound-foolish.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 12:39:57 AM »

One year in the dealership ? This is crazy ! if the delay is due to a problem on their side (Zero quality issue of the firmware, and possibly dealer intervention) you are entitled to a compensation for this. I would not mention it if it was shorter but here it looks like you need a way to make them understand that time is not free...

The total time at the dealership for me was a bit lower than this, but it happened so often that i'm really tired now.
What i have seen is that your dealer does what he can, but Zero is either not responsive or tell them to pressure customer for things they don't have to, or to accept unacceptable conditions. They "cut corner", but in the end it kills the brand reputation, and explains why the second hand market does not exist...
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 01:35:00 AM »

As I've said before I think Zero needs a east coast HQ or 2nd HQ if CA is just throwing money at them.
I wonder how many of these dealer to Zero issues come from time zone limits and working hours?

Anyway warehousing spare parts is basic basic.  AF1 racing and I'm sure Hollywood Electrics can get you the parts you need in the future.
I used the great unofficial manual to source my DC-DC converter and handed it to my dealer with some aluminum tape and said I'll pick it up in a few days.
Still wasn't cheap but got it quick.
I told them I wanted my old one and if it didn't fix the problem that's on me.  Again thanks to EMF and the unofficial manual it fixed the issue and it's fine now.

Also if you get a loaner from them they seem to fix things faster.  :)

And Moto7575 when the price is right these things sell quick.
Pages: [1]