• May 10, 2024, 12:40:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Harley Davidson Invests in Alta  (Read 775 times)

ultratoad

• View Profile
Harley Davidson Invests in Alta
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:35:37 PM »

If Harley Davidson has invested in Alta to help develop battery technology and such for the new Live Wire-- I think they may be very wise.  Conversely, it will make the industry sit up and take serious notice of Alta.

I have no concerns for HD-- I'm just not an HD guy....  My concern is for Alta....  I would not like to see them lose focus of their current path....  I'm a big fan of their current models, awaiting the SM-R and a dealer within riding distance....  I would hate to see Alta go to the dark side !!!!  If you put a Harley logo on an Alta-- I'm out !!!!

Hoppy_250

• View Profile
Re: Harley Davidson Invests in Alta
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »

Here! Here!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 12:43:07 AM »

If Harley Davidson has invested in Alta to help develop battery technology and such for the new Live Wire-- I think they may be very wise.  Conversely, it will make the industry sit up and take serious notice of Alta.

I have no concerns for HD-- I'm just not an HD guy....  My concern is for Alta....  I would not like to see them lose focus of their current path....  I'm a big fan of their current models, awaiting the SM-R and a dealer within riding distance....  I would hate to see Alta go to the dark side !!!!  If you put a Harley logo on an Alta-- I'm out !!!!

What, you are not ready for an Alta cruiser that makes potato, potato, noises while it is running and at stoplights using a 100 watt speaker system and has a smart-phone Screaming Eagle (registered trademark) app that directs you to the nearest "biker bar"?   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 01:41:17 AM »

"If Harley Davidson has invested in Alta"  What is the background here.  The invest in electric motorcycle section of this forum is not active at all.  Did they buy stock? How much? or ?

Harley has in the past sold Rotax engine bikes to the army that were not for sale to the public.  Alta is in partnership to make some sort of battery diesel electric hybrid.  Maybe that is an angle.  I think the range folks are clamoring for might diesel electric hybrid.  All the power transmission smoothness and could really only make noise when the wind noise is almost drowning the exhaust noise out.

Actually the local Harley shop here Tsi in Ellington took on Christini the two wheel drive bike.  I just called them and they do not stock any but can order.  An electric two wheel drive would be better I would think.

There does seem some anti Harley sentiment around here, Kind of a bad thing to get associated with electric the way I feel about it.

Alan Stewart

• Electric Transportation Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 08:14:47 AM »

Alan
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:32:48 PM »

That article is kind of vague but I guess it is supposed to be "undisclosed" exactly what is going on.  Harley is publicly traded so maybe they have to put something in their annual report a bit less vague.
"investment of an undisclosed amount announced today."
"We should start to see the result of that collaboration as soon as next year."

And if you can believe this quote from Harley President and CEO Matt Levatich
" and, at the same time, remain true to our gas and oil roots by continuing to produce a broad portfolio of motorcycles that appeal to all types of riders around the world.”  The word continuing like they currently produce product for all types of rider.

If someone was saying KTM was going to gobble up Alta they have to re acess.

These internet articles do not seem to say where they get their sources.  I have found almost the same article as linked above in a lot of places.  This one actually calls out Harley takes a stake in Alta.  https://www.investors.com/news/harley-davidson-takes-alta-motors-stake-plans-electric-motorcycle/?src=A00220&yptr=yahoo  I do not see a stock bump.  Not sure if this more belongs in the Alta or the Harley sub forum.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 08:39:47 PM by Fran K »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 08:55:11 PM »

Here is another article:  https://electricmotorcycles.news/harley-davidson-invests-in-alta-motors/

It should be no surprise that this move by H-D reminds me of when Polaris invested in Brammo - and we know how that turned out.  :(
Also, H-D has been investing in other motorcycle (they just love Italian firms) and motorcycle-related (like trike manufacturers) ever since at least the early 1960's and I can't recall a single one of their investments that turned out well for them in either the marketplace or on their bottom line.  Maybe this will be different, but I am not putting any money on their bet.  I just hope Alta can survive H-D's influence on their operations and the entire thing doesn't become another Buell.   :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 11:04:43 PM »

There does seem some anti Harley sentiment around here, Kind of a bad thing to get associated with electric the way I feel about it.

It's not associated with electric... It's associated with everyone else that rides motorcycles that don't suck.
Pages: [1]