• May 04, 2024, 04:39:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Adjusting handlebars, throttle and brake. Or rather, putting it back together.  (Read 670 times)

oldnoah

• View Profile

Hi, I just bought a new Zero S in the beginning of April 2016, and I tried to adjust the handlebars back to a more neutral position. The bars themselves were easy enough to adjust, by loosening the four bolts in the center. But the throttle, brake handle, and switch clusters all rotated with the handlebars, so the brake handle was too high, and the mode and directional buttons were too low.

So I tried to loosen these, and rotate them forward, but the throttle is held in place with torx screws, and when I loosened it, it wouldn't turn. So I took the cover off, and found two things: First, the throttle spring came out, and I'm having a hard time getting it back together, and second, that the throttle spring cover is pinned to a hole in the handlebars, so they aren't adjustable at all. Really(!?)

Has anyone done this before? And if so, how do you get the throttle mechanism back together?

KrazyEd

• View Profile

I have notice the pin for years. I am sure that is a legal issue for manufacturers. You have two options.
You can break / grind the tip flush, now you have full rotation to position controls anywhere you wish.
If you have moved the bars far enough to allow, you can now put in a second hole where you wish for the
controls to be. If you go with the second hole, make sure that there is sufficient material between the
two holes. If you opt for grinding, you will have to make sure to check them more often for tightness.
If you are on a ride and a screw or two starts to loosen with the stock setup, you will notice long before
any major issue. If the controls start to loosen with the tip ground off, you might end up with the
handlebar in your left hand attached to the bike, and, the throttle assembly in your right hand
attached to the bike only by the cable.

MrDude_1

• View Profile

This has happened on most of my bikes. You can safely grind down the pin with a dremel to get rid of it.

I only have theories for why they do this... one theory is some legal reason.  another theory is to keep dumb make-readys from putting the bike together wrong.

either way, once you take the pin out, its fully adjustable to your preferred angle.
Pages: [1]