• May 15, 2024, 09:21:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: 2012 Zeros Recalled!  (Read 17685 times)

Electric Terry

• View Profile
Re: 2012 Zeros Recalled!
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »

ColoPaul you were right, I see where he later made comments adding the cost of taxes title and fees to bring it to $5800.  Still a great deal for a 2017!!  If you're looking to just keep riding electric and don't care about the latest and greatest you look for a 2013 or 2014 S model, which will still be faster and more range than the 2012 S, so still a hell of a deal.

And true while this is unexpected and not a choice, someone made the comment that if you're driving a 20 year old Volvo around, and some distracted lady comes flying through an intersection and smacks you totaling your car, you don't really have a choice in the matter either, and the insurance will only give you what they think your car is worth, not what it was worth to you.   In this deal, they are giving you full KBB, which I think is on the high end of what many would decide to part with cash for another 2012 if you see what I mean, plus $1000 on top towards another Zero, so basically a 15%-20% bonus on top.

I see a 2017 S 6.5 asking price for $8400 on Cycle Trader.  Negotiate to $8000 and take the $1500 2017 coupon and that's $6500, minus the $1000 bonus and that's $5500, add in the trade in value and your within range of the taxes and fees and have a bike that's only 1 year old vs 6 years old!  I mean really, it's hard to be complaining if you think about it.  No one wanted this to happen.  But it did.  Look at it as a great opportunity to get on something newer.  Do you see Lloyd complaining about spending $5800 to get on a 2017 SR with 50% more range and double the power, ABS brakes, Showa suspension, better ergonomics, more informed dash readout, etc.  I mean stop to really think about this and look at the glass as half full instead of half empty and it will appear as a great opportunity. 

If its just about money, and not having the best bike, you can come out ahead.  Negotiate on a 2013 or 2014 FX and you will actually profit in the deal.

100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2018, 06:27:45 AM »

No, I don’t see Lloyd complaining.  Strange to me, as he admitted that he’s got $16,000 in his 2012, and with only 11,000 miles he was “happy with it and had no plans to sell it”, but in the end got $7000 from Zero for it.  That’s pushing $1/mile!!  Ouch.   And you say he's “freakin happy” to fork over another $5800.  Lloyd clearly has money to burn.  Is that a prerequisite for Zero ownership nowadays?

I appreciate the effort you put into the 2017 suggestion.  But even with everything you mention, I would be out $3000** for that specific bike.  (Plus buying a bike sight unseen and having it shipped 2000 miles makes me nervous)   Yes, it’s newer, faster, better, etc, but I don’t assign a lot of value to those things -- I liked my 2012 just fine.   I think this is the key point where we don't see eye to eye.

Regarding your 2013/14 FX "profit" comment, the cheapest I see on cycle trader is $6k--given my $5k cash payout, I’d have to negotiate down to like $4k-$4.5k to cover shipping, taxes, etc to just break even.  That's not realistic.  Plus I really don't want a dirt bike.

Too bad Zero won't take just the batteries and leave me with the bike and $5k, I'd take that in a heartbeat!  I'll keep my eyes open, and maybe someday I'll luck into a deal where I can get something for $5k.   Finally, don’t get me wrong, I think that Zero is being fair, reasonable and responsible.  But for now (you might call it complaining, but I see it as just a fact) I no longer have an electric ride, instead I've got a check/credit that’s not enough to buy an equivalent (or better) replacement.

**$8495 list,CT tax $539,dealer fees $1000,shipping $715,increased ins/reg $250,zero coupon -$1500,2012 trade-in -$6080,negotiating -$400 
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2018, 04:11:58 AM »

Last night my daughter emailed Zero with her bike's information per the recall instructions in Zero''s letter. Her 2012 Zero S was picked up this morning and is now at the SF Zero dealership.  That was a very fast response.  Hopefully the recall check will arrive at the dealership just as quickly.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »

My bike is also on the way to the landfill.  <Sniff> :'(
33,000 miles.  I'll bet that put me in the top 5% of 2012 riders.
I got alot more choked up than I thought I would.  It's just not right.

Richard, what's your daughter going to do?  Get the cash?  Get a new zero?

Terry, will your 2012 be considered to be "substantially altered" because of all the mods you made to it?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:43:10 PM by ColoPaul »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2018, 07:58:37 PM »

My bike is also on the way to the landfill.  <Sniff> :'(
33,000 miles.  I'll bet that put me in the top 5% of 2012 riders.
I got alot more choked up than I thought I would.  It's just not right.

Richard, what's your daughter going to do?  Get the cash?  Get a new zero?

Terry, will your 2012 be considered to be "substantially altered" because of all the mods you made to it?

She is going for the cash, as she was told to move out of her rental home by July 1 since the owner wants to sell it and she now plans to buy a home to insulate her from rental issues. As you know, when buying a home you can never have enough money - especially in the SF Bay Area. Fortunately for her, last year when I bought my 2018 S, I gave her my old 2014 S (with PT) and (in spite of its slowly degrading battery pack) it is working very well for her local rides. The bike will still hit 95 mph and will travel a good 100 miles at legal speed limits.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2018, 08:22:24 PM »

My daughter just picked up her $6,040 check from the SF Zero dealer last night. So it takes about two weeks between having your 2012 Zero picked up by Zero and for the check to be cut and sent to your dealer, where you get it after signing off your vehicle title. That seems pretty quick for receiving a manufacturer's check.  :)  Now she only has a 2014 S with Power Tank to ride - which makes the choice of what Zero to ride a lot easier.  ;)

soy2sauce

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2018, 12:34:48 AM »

Well I guess I was a little late to be notified. Just did the change of warranty/owner forms on Zero's website so they can send me the official emails.

I'm pretty sad about the ordeal. I loved my 2012 Zero S and was really looking forward to riding it through the summer like I did last year. If I were in the market for a new bike, I'd be ecstatic. Unfortunately in my current situation with family, finances, and house issues, I cannot justify nor afford doing the "financial assist" towards a new bike since I'd be at least $5k out of pocket for a new S.

So I guess I have similar thoughts to ColoPaul. If the recall never occurred I'd be happily riding my Zero through the summer (assuming bike didn't have issues/became a ball of flames). Since it happened and I cannot afford a new bike, I will not be. I genuinely feel that something great has been taken from me and there really isn't anything I can do about it.

Take the money and get a cheaper ICE bike is what co-workers tell me. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my car and house maintenance (it seems like both are fixer-uppers) and the "zero maintenance" was what attracted me to an electric bike in the first place. Not to mention free charging at work. I just don't have the time and resources to have another engine at the house, it seems like everything from my car to my lawn-mower like to have issues when I need them most.

I guess the irony of it all is that I felt like a bit of an unofficial spokesperson for Zero for the years I owned and rode it, defending the brand when people tried to say electric motorcycles were stupid, or spitting out the specs for the newer models and comparing mine and how far they've come when questioned with range, power, charging etc. I'm sure some of you feel the same way. I legitimately gave people advice on whether or not electric would be a good idea for them or not, based on their riding desires and intentions. I feel a little embarrassed that now my bike will be recalled for a defect and I won't get a replacement.

Maybe within the next decade I'll source the money for a new one. Maybe it will be my mid-life crisis venture. Until then, I hope you all get/got what you wanted out of it. I enjoyed every mile I put on that thing, even if it were barely 1000. Such a waste to see a bike with just 1800 miles see a landfill.

Vent over. In all honesty I'm not completely opposed to financing a new bike if given the option, but I'm 99% sure I won't. It might come with a divorce, or at least a very very unhappy wife and a lot of explaining to do.

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2018, 10:14:39 AM »

My daughter just picked up her $6,040 check from the SF Zero dealer last night. So it takes about two weeks between having your 2012 Zero picked up by Zero and for the check to be cut and sent to your dealer, where you get it after signing off your vehicle title. That seems pretty quick for receiving a manufacturer's check.  :)  Now she only has a 2014 S with Power Tank to ride - which makes the choice of what Zero to ride a lot easier.  ;)

Got my check Thursday...  $5980 -- Having been offered $2500 trade-in for that bike 3 years ago makes this deal seem pretty sweet to me; relatively speaking, that is. 

When the dealer declined to even give me a trade-in offer for my '14 SR with power tank & full set of Givis two weeks ago, my hopes for a upgrading to a new model were shattered.  Given the OTD price for the '18SR with charge tank being ~$23k, I think I'll content myself with a pair of Digi-Now's & a new rear tire!
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2018, 09:23:00 PM »

Well I guess I was a little late to be notified. Just did the change of warranty/owner forms on Zero's website so they can send me the official emails.

I'm pretty sad about the ordeal. I loved my 2012 Zero S and was really looking forward to riding it through the summer like I did last year. If I were in the market for a new bike, I'd be ecstatic. Unfortunately in my current situation with family, finances, and house issues, I cannot justify nor afford doing the "financial assist" towards a new bike since I'd be at least $5k out of pocket for a new S.

So I guess I have similar thoughts to ColoPaul. If the recall never occurred I'd be happily riding my Zero through the summer (assuming bike didn't have issues/became a ball of flames). Since it happened and I cannot afford a new bike, I will not be. I genuinely feel that something great has been taken from me and there really isn't anything I can do about it.

Take the money and get a cheaper ICE bike is what co-workers tell me. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my car and house maintenance (it seems like both are fixer-uppers) and the "zero maintenance" was what attracted me to an electric bike in the first place. Not to mention free charging at work. I just don't have the time and resources to have another engine at the house, it seems like everything from my car to my lawn-mower like to have issues when I need them most.

I guess the irony of it all is that I felt like a bit of an unofficial spokesperson for Zero for the years I owned and rode it, defending the brand when people tried to say electric motorcycles were stupid, or spitting out the specs for the newer models and comparing mine and how far they've come when questioned with range, power, charging etc. I'm sure some of you feel the same way. I legitimately gave people advice on whether or not electric would be a good idea for them or not, based on their riding desires and intentions. I feel a little embarrassed that now my bike will be recalled for a defect and I won't get a replacement.

Maybe within the next decade I'll source the money for a new one. Maybe it will be my mid-life crisis venture. Until then, I hope you all get/got what you wanted out of it. I enjoyed every mile I put on that thing, even if it were barely 1000. Such a waste to see a bike with just 1800 miles see a landfill.

Vent over. In all honesty I'm not completely opposed to financing a new bike if given the option, but I'm 99% sure I won't. It might come with a divorce, or at least a very very unhappy wife and a lot of explaining to do.

My advice:  Shop for a USED Zero.  The first owner ALWAYS takes a *major* depreciation hit.  My '14 SR is worth 3-4x (to ME) what a dealer would offer in trade for it.  Had the dealer offered me anything better than the '12 buy-back sum from Zero, I'd have ordered a new '18 bike on the spot.
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

soy2sauce

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2018, 09:36:21 AM »

RickSteeb I am absolutely considering a used bike, especially considering my 2012 was a used one. I haven't been able to find anything in my area or affordable though. Called the dealerships in my area they said they didn't even have any old demos, let alone used models; they just have the new '18s. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye out while I wait for Zero to come get their bike.  :'(

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »

RickSteeb I am absolutely considering a used bike, especially considering my 2012 was a used one. I haven't been able to find anything in my area or affordable though. Called the dealerships in my area they said they didn't even have any old demos, let alone used models; they just have the new '18s. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye out while I wait for Zero to come get their bike.  :'(

Having owned a 2014 S with PT and now owning a 2018 S with PT, I really can't tell much difference in performance between the two different year models.  The 2014 model felt like it accelerated a little faster than the 2018, the range seems about the same and the Nissan front brake on the 2014 is better than the J.Juan version on the 2018.  In my opinion the largest difference between the two years is the Showa suspension on the later models, which is about a 100% improvement over the Fast Ace stuff on the 2014 bikes, and maybe the ABS installed on the 2017/18 years. Just looking at Zero's brochure specifications and features, it appears to me that there is no difference between the 2017 and 2018 S models.  If you can find a left-over 2017, I would go for that, especially if you can get the advertised $1500 price reduction that shows up in my banner ads frequently - and the recall credit, and a state EV rebate, and hope that the IRS credit is approved for this year purchases.

soy2sauce

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2018, 10:34:35 AM »

Thanks guys all very useful info. Does anyone know if there is a big difference in the ride and maneuverability between the different battery sizes? I ask because I had the 2012 S ZF6, looking at the specs on the newer models seeing that 100 lb difference kind of scares me. I would want to invest in the range, but not if it makes the ride feel less nimble.

A little context: My 2012 S is the only bike I've ever owned. The only other bike I rode (just once) was a very generic looking Yamaha street bike for a required motorcycle safety course while I was in the Navy. I enjoy riding but I feel like the 2012 Zero S felt perfect, not that I had anything to compare it to.

I think I'll try to arrange a few test rides, that will be the ultimate test. Going to be hard to wait to get my hands on a new one if I ever do, but I'm getting a little more motivated to save up for one in the long term.

Sorry if I got a little off topic. Anyone still waiting to get their bike to be picked up?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2018, 08:02:10 PM »

Thanks guys all very useful info. Does anyone know if there is a big difference in the ride and maneuverability between the different battery sizes? I ask because I had the 2012 S ZF6, looking at the specs on the newer models seeing that 100 lb difference kind of scares me. I would want to invest in the range, but not if it makes the ride feel less nimble.

A little context: My 2012 S is the only bike I've ever owned. The only other bike I rode (just once) was a very generic looking Yamaha street bike for a required motorcycle safety course while I was in the Navy. I enjoy riding but I feel like the 2012 Zero S felt perfect, not that I had anything to compare it to.

I think I'll try to arrange a few test rides, that will be the ultimate test. Going to be hard to wait to get my hands on a new one if I ever do, but I'm getting a little more motivated to save up for one in the long term.

Sorry if I got a little off topic. Anyone still waiting to get their bike to be picked up?

The Power Tank model is a bit of a pig when being pushed around and when transitioning from one side to another when riding on a curvy back road.  However, that is likely not the case with the other Zero models that don't have an extra 42 pounds in the normal fuel tank position.  Plus the new Showa suspension is a huge improvement over the Fast Ace junk used in the 2012 models.  I think you would be amazed what a difference that makes between the two model years.  Go for a test ride, see what you think, and post your review in the 2013+ sub-forum.

I forgot to add that the 2013-on Zeros have a lot more torque when starting off, especially when going uphill from a stop, compared with the 2012 and earlier models. My 2012 S would groan and struggle to get going from a stop when facing uphill, but my previous 2014 Zero S and new 2018 S model makes that chore much easier, in spite of having that heavy Power Tank on board.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:21:28 AM by Richard230 »

keith burton

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2018, 01:55:26 AM »

Can any of you tell me if it has taken over the 15 days stated in the recall to obtain your payments. EU Zero told me my payment was processed on the 22nd of May and not got anything yet 21 days later. I would be grateful to hear if you have got your payments or not. Its been too long without a bike now. Many thanks Keith.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »

My bike went to the dealer May 11.  I think the dealer submitted the final paperwork May 22, so today is 3 weeks from the paperwork submittal.  I have not heard from them yet.  I saw other posts, 2-3 weeks seems to be the timing.  I'll give them 1 more week and then start bugging them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9