• May 04, 2024, 01:57:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Several questions/concerns wrt Electrics, primarily the lack of noise  (Read 506 times)

No H2O

• View Profile

Been riding a BMW R1150 and love it. Considering a second bike for when ever it's down but I've considered this for a while now since it's really never down. Eventually I'd like to go electric but here are my concerns, in order. Any insight is appreciated.

Silence
--------
I'm aware that alert and competent riding is the majority of safety but being seen and being heard can only be helpful.
That being said, are there mods available that'll make an electric sound like a harley? Again, I know helmets save more lives than loud pipes but why not take take the extra safety measure, and (to me at least) the sound makes for a far more enjoyable ride.

Water exposure
------------------
I park my bikes and cars on the street, I don't believe in garage queens and my life is so busy I don't have time to put on, take off, and store, a tarp. I ride in the rain as well.
Can the battery withstand both being parked in a rainstorm and being ridden through rain or is that going to be iffy?

Charging
----------
The electric cars need a separate chunky (and rather expensive) charging station. I rarely ride long distances but if I do need to charge, can the electric bike simply plug into an outlet via extension cord or is there anything more elaborate required?

Maintenance
--------------
I'm reading the broadsweeping statement "maintenance is less for electric bikes" but parts/components are parts and parts fail and need to be replaced.
Is there less maintenance required for an electric because there are fewer parts and/or the parts are easier to access or is it something else?

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

Here:
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Doug S

• View Profile

Most of the information you asked for is widely available, but I'd like to stress one point, since it's a pet peeve of mine. Bikes with loud pipes ARE NOT SAFER than quieter bikes! The studies all show it, and it makes perfect sense. The only person you can count on to keep yourself safe is you, so it's far better if your bike is quiet so you can hear them, rather than your bike being loud enough that they can hear you. The only concern other drivers have for your safety is they don't want to dent their bumper on you.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

Although "widely available" documentation seems obvious for community members, we have to point out that we have a community resource gathering this information, at least for Zeros:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Main_Page

Been riding a BMW R1150 and love it. Considering a second bike for when ever it's down but I've considered this for a while now since it's really never down. Eventually I'd like to go electric but here are my concerns, in order. Any insight is appreciated.

I advise considering a Zero as a daily rider and using the BMW as a trip bike or backup when the Zero is down/serviced. That's what I do with my V-Strom 650.

Silence
--------
I'm aware that alert and competent riding is the majority of safety but being seen and being heard can only be helpful.
That being said, are there mods available that'll make an electric sound like a harley? Again, I know helmets save more lives than loud pipes but why not take take the extra safety measure, and (to me at least) the sound makes for a far more enjoyable ride.

A handful of electric riders have done this:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Sound_System
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3915

I lane-split daily around the SF Bay Area on a Zero and feel safer on it than on a gas bike, because I'm never lacking in torque and I set regen so I can slow down very early in my reaction time if other drivers start to put me at risk. Of course, they can't hear me at all, and that adds a risk that they'll pull into my lane, but overall I feel less safe on my V-Strom 650 than my Zero because I have to work harder to react to every change (even with tuned levers) and my torque is never quite as easily available.

I do use better mirrors to track my blindspots on a Zero because cars will more readily pull into your lane without the "warding-off" factor of noise, but I like having blindspot mirrors more than configuring a sound system and keeping it maintained so the wiring doesn't fail, etc.

One factor of a silent bike is that you can hear cars' motion easily, right down to their tire noise. The awareness factor is larger than you suspect.

Water exposure
------------------
I park my bikes and cars on the street, I don't believe in garage queens and my life is so busy I don't have time to put on, take off, and store, a tarp. I ride in the rain as well.
Can the battery withstand both being parked in a rainstorm and being ridden through rain or is that going to be iffy?

It does add a little risk to the various circuit boards on the bike (mitigated by an informed strategy of applying dielectric grease around electrical connectors and some openings), but the main issue is how to keep the bike charged regularly. Where would you charge it?

How many miles per day do you commute? The ratio of that to the vehicle's rated range will give you an idea of how many days you can go without charging.

You'll get more value out of the bike if you can conveniently charge it every night without more than 5 seconds' worth of effort, so every morning you have its maximum range available.

Charging
----------
The electric cars need a separate chunky (and rather expensive) charging station. I rarely ride long distances but if I do need to charge, can the electric bike simply plug into an outlet via extension cord or is there anything more elaborate required?

The Zero by default only plugs into 110V (or other household outlet) at 1.3kW for an 8-hour charge. If you need an extension cord, unless you run at 220V, you'll have to choose the extension cord carefully to avoid causing problems from heat:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Charger_Power_Cord

Ideally, plugging a bike into 220V household power or an EV station will charge faster with less risk.

Maintenance
--------------
I'm reading the broadsweeping statement "maintenance is less for electric bikes" but parts/components are parts and parts fail and need to be replaced.
Is there less maintenance required for an electric because there are fewer parts and/or the parts are easier to access or is it something else?

The Zero requires less maintenance, lacking oil, coolant systems, transmission, clutch, chains, etc. Brammos are a little more complicated. The Zero just has fewer systems to maintain (tires, brakes, belt).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

Been riding a BMW R1150 and love it. Considering a second bike for when ever it's down but I've considered this for a while now since it's really never down.

I should add that this idea you have of using an electric motorcycle infrequently is a very bad idea. EV batteries will last longer if you use them regularly, partly to check on them and partly to keep the chemistry healthy.

If you wonder about the sticker price of an electric motorcycle, understand that ~50% of the dealer price is literally just the battery, and it has a different warrantee than the rest of the bike (at least for a Zero). Battery care is the most significant factor in using an electric motorcycle, although mostly that comes down to "ride it regularly, and keep the charge state out of the low band".
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile

Silence
--------

Go to your local dealer and take a test ride. Seriously.

My electric motorcycle accelerates like a roller coaster, banks like an airplane and it is so surrealy quiet it's like a glider.  It's like flying.  Wherever you want to be there you are, no shifting no noise no hassle. I can't imagine going back to a noisy vibrating bike.

(Well in reality there are some real hassles like planning for charging, getting beta rapid charging on the aftermarket, having to buy tires in belts, etc. Life is full of choices. But, yeah, I'm selling my gas bike.)

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Richard230

• View Profile

I have been riding motorcycles in Bay Area traffic for over 55 years.  Riding my Zero has resulted in no more vehicle conflicts than when riding any of my other gas-powered motorcycles. The lack of noise is not an issue.  Being seen is.

My 2014 Zero hasn't needed any maintenance other than new tires since I have owned it.  I have saved a lot of money compared with the cost of maintenance of the BMW motorcycles that I have owned over the past 30 years.   :)

Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook

Silence
--------
I've been riding Zeros since Feb 2013, no safety issues due to quiet operation.  Also, the Hurt report found loud bikes were no more safe than quiet bikes.

Water exposure
------------------
I rode cross country several times, including downpours, with no issues in operation.  Also Zero tested their battery pack by dunking it in the pacific for 24 hours.

Charging
----------
For daily charging you just need a regular outlet, nothing special (or expensive).

Maintenance
--------------
You occasionally need to see a dealer for a software update, but otherwise just tires and brakes.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

To me, the silence is the BEST part.  Now *I* can hear the traffic around me (and on quiet country roads I can hear the birds and crickets chirping, the wind in the trees, etc).

If you were to view a rider from above on a clock face with the rider heading towards 12:00, nearly all accidents occur from the 9:00 to the 2:00 position... in other words in PLAIN SIGHT of the rider.  So... if the rider can see what is going on and STILL gets into an accident then he/she really wasn't paying proper attention to the situation.  NEVER assume the person in front of you is aware you're behind him/her.  A loud pipe merely announces your presence to the drivers BEHIND you (who are probably contemplating whether prison time is worth running you over to stop the damned noise).  If the drivers in front of you hear you, they have no idea where you are because the sound has been bouncing off of all the solid objects around you and assaulting their senses from every direction.  Think about the last time you heard a police siren in traffic if you don't believe me.

Also, there isn't a State in the Union that denies a driver's license to the hearing impaired.  When you renew your license, what do they test... your ears or your eyes? 

Now that you don't have your OWN sounds dulling your awareness you should be much more attuned to what is going on around you.  Riding a motorcycle (electric or gas) should NEVER be a "passive" exercise.  You should constantly be alert to what is going on around you at all times.  Your survival depends on it.  Maybe I have a bit of an edge here as before I got into motorcycling I had done thousands of miles on a bicycle.  If you think you're invisible on a motorcycle you should try riding in New York traffic on a bicycle sometime!

As for not making enough noise to alert pedestrians or bicyclists, I find the same technique that worked for bicycling works here.  Raising your helmet visor (if applicable) and politely asking "Excuse me?"  works wonders (and the looks on their faces when they turn around and see a motorcyclist in full riding gear is always priceless).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:44:03 AM by JaimeC »
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

clay.leihy

• View Profile

I have an air horn for BDCs with AC and music and cell phones, and a bike bell for pedestrians.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

togo

• View Profile
Re: Several questions/concerns wrt Electrics, primarily the lack of noise
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 03:33:14 AM »

> To me, the silence is the BEST part.  Now *I* can hear the traffic around me (and on quiet country roads I can hear the birds and crickets chirping, the wind in the trees, etc).

And the wind.  The wind is the dominant sound at speed.

BTW, did I mention that I've gone past deer that *didn't* spook into my path on my electric motorcycle?  They just looked up curiously and went back to eating.

> ... NEVER assume the person in front of you is aware you're behind him/her.  A loud pipe merely announces your presence to the drivers BEHIND you ...

Indeed by the time they hear you, you are past, even on the loudest motorcycles.

> ... (who are probably contemplating whether prison time is worth running you over to stop the damned noise). 

"Loud pipes cost lives"?

> Also, there isn't a State in the Union that denies a driver's license to the hearing impaired.  When you renew your license, what do they test... your ears or your eyes? 

: - )

> Now that you don't have your OWN sounds dulling your awareness you should be much more attuned to what is going on around you.  Riding a motorcycle (electric or gas) should NEVER be a "passive" exercise.  You should constantly be alert to what is going on around you at all times.  Your survival depends on it.  Maybe I have a bit of an edge here as before I got into motorcycling I had done thousands of miles on a bicycle.  If you think you're invisible on a motorcycle you should try riding in New York traffic on a bicycle sometime!

> As for not making enough noise to alert pedestrians or bicyclists, I find the same technique that worked for bicycling works here.  Raising your helmet visor (if applicable) and politely asking "Excuse me?"  works wonders (and the looks on their faces when they turn around and see a motorcyclist in full riding gear is always priceless).

Or "to your left" or something like that.

I've followed pelatons of bicyclists for a bit.  Eventually they notice, if you are patient.  Usually within a half mile or so.

Tony

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 04:52:26 AM »

> To me, the silence is the BEST part.  Now *I* can hear the traffic around me (and on quiet country roads I can hear the birds and crickets chirping, the wind in the trees, etc).

And the wind.  The wind is the dominant sound at speed.

BTW, did I mention that I've gone past deer that *didn't* spook into my path on my electric motorcycle?  They just looked up curiously and went back to eating.

> ... NEVER assume the person in front of you is aware you're behind him/her.  A loud pipe merely announces your presence to the drivers BEHIND you ...

Indeed by the time they hear you, you are past, even on the loudest motorcycles.

> ... (who are probably contemplating whether prison time is worth running you over to stop the damned noise). 

"Loud pipes cost lives"?

> Also, there isn't a State in the Union that denies a driver's license to the hearing impaired.  When you renew your license, what do they test... your ears or your eyes? 

: - )

> Now that you don't have your OWN sounds dulling your awareness you should be much more attuned to what is going on around you.  Riding a motorcycle (electric or gas) should NEVER be a "passive" exercise.  You should constantly be alert to what is going on around you at all times.  Your survival depends on it.  Maybe I have a bit of an edge here as before I got into motorcycling I had done thousands of miles on a bicycle.  If you think you're invisible on a motorcycle you should try riding in New York traffic on a bicycle sometime!

> As for not making enough noise to alert pedestrians or bicyclists, I find the same technique that worked for bicycling works here.  Raising your helmet visor (if applicable) and politely asking "Excuse me?"  works wonders (and the looks on their faces when they turn around and see a motorcyclist in full riding gear is always priceless).

Or "to your left" or something like that.

I've followed pelatons of bicyclists for a bit.  Eventually they notice, if you are patient.  Usually within a half mile or so.

Tony
I love sneaking up on pedestrians and cyclists, just to see how long it takes them to notice.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 05:02:15 AM »

Been riding a BMW R1150 and love it. Considering a second bike for when ever down........

I have an 03 1150RT with 140k (miles) on the clock & picked up a Zero
so I could preserve my RT.

With only a handful of moving parts maintenance is nearly non existing compared to an ICE (especially a BMW) motorcycle.

As far as  conspicuousness, I believe that load lights & riding gear save life's.

In nearly 3 months & nearly 3k miles of ownership of my DSR, I've yet to stop at a gas station (but I soon will as the lawn mower will soon need gas:P)
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 05:19:09 AM »

You better run that 1150RT once in a while so it doesn't deteriorate.

((Or add a lawnmower attachment?  No, don't, that was a joke.))
Pages: [1]