• May 13, 2024, 04:32:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DS 11kw power difference between 7.2 and 14.4kwh  (Read 1026 times)

keith burton

• View Profile
DS 11kw power difference between 7.2 and 14.4kwh
« on: August 19, 2018, 08:01:26 PM »

I wish to buy a DS 11kw which is a EU and UK bike with lower power for learner riders who only have a CBT in the UK. The 7.2 listed as 31hp the 14.4 as 59hp. I want to use this as a commute bike so the lighter by 40 kilos 7.2 would have the range I need and gets a storage cubby due to the half size battery. Top speed listed as the same, I think gearing different. Can anyone let me know if they have the same motor/controller/power/performance.

dennis-NL

• DS 2013 12.5 <<50500km 22-feb-2019>>
    • View Profile
Re: DS 11kw power difference between 7.2 and 14.4kwh
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »

>> Confused, why is it different at Zero site.
>>
>> 11 kW ~ 15hp
>>
>> Must be the way they meassure it, a loophole in the 11kW rules.....?

Found it:

This is because of the "continuous power".
In other words, how much power the motorcycle can deliver for a long time, or better "may".
Regarding peak power or torque, the 11 kW Zero S should not give up anything!
As a result, he still has 108Nm and 60hp making him accelerate as fast as a normal S.
The only thing that is influenced is the top speed.
It lies at the Zero S 11 kW (14.4kW battery) at 139 km/h versus 158 km/h at the normal S (14.4kW battery).

The more battery an EV has, the more hp it CAN produce.
So, this is also the difference in hp between 7.2kW and 14.4kW battery (no 7.2kW battery with 11kW performance in the Netherlands tho)

Probably Zero only adjust parameters in motormanagement to be a valid 11kW, just like we can do for the torque in the Zero app.
The drivetrain should be the same.

More from Zero site itself:

Maximum v. Net v. Continuous Power:
–Maximum power (or peak power) is defined as the absolute maximum power that a drivetrain can produce. Electric vehicles are rated on this in regions following SAE standards.
–Net power is defined as the amount of power the motor is capable of sustaining following a three-minute run at 80% of maximum power, according to UNECE Regulation No 85. Electric vehicles are rated on this in regions following EU standards.
–Continuous power is defined as the amount of power the motor is capable of sustaining continuously for 30-minutes, according to UNECE regulation No 85. Electric vehicles are rated on this in regions following EU standards.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:51:48 PM by dennis-NL »
current:  DS2013 12.5 50500km 22-feb-2019
previous: MotoGuzzi 1100Cal-96, Yamaha TDM850-00, Honda Magna700-86, Honda Shadow500-86

8) Enjoy each ride, now you can hear and feel everything around you !!!!
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8098.0;attach=9471;ima

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 08:36:42 PM »

Keith - I have just bought a 2018 DS ZF7.2 11kW so can answer a few questions...

Firstly the 11kW bikes still have plenty of power! This is my first motorcycle so I have actually turned the torque down below Eco using the Custom profile till I get used to the bike at low speeds. I am running at 30% (Eco is 40%) and find that about right when moving off round corners from a standing start. Once you are on the straight and the bike gives full power on throttle, it leaps forward very briskly indeed.

I opted for the 7.2 battery because I wanted to keep the bike light. My trips are between 15 to 25 miles of rural roads and I tend to charge every two trips even if I could squeeze a third. My reasoning for that being that if I make that last trip and suddenly have to go someone else, I am at the mercy of the 3-pin plug for slow charging. It will be a month or so before my DigiNow arrives and I do have a 7kW PodPoint at home.

The smaller battery does reduce the weight of the bike considerably over the full 14.4 and I felt that it was important to have a light motorcycle that was actually relatively light since I didn't have the experience handling a full weight bike. I have spotted a couple of places I might have wanted to go that are out of reach of a round trip on my 7.2 battery without charging but they were not essential journeys.

Real world range on my 7.2 battery is 65 miles of 30-40mph rural twisties with the odd stretch of 50-60mph straights. I have the Commuter screen on the front and panniers on the back. I am six foot and about 12 1/2 stone. I will expect less range in the winter.

Any specific questions, feel free to message me and I'll try to help.

keith burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »

My local dealer tells me there is a DS 11kw available for £9190 at the moment with the 7.2kwh battery and a few with the 14.4kwh batteries. There was recently a DS 11kw on Ebay on a 2017 plate but only six months old at the time with the 6.5kwh battery with 150 miles on it for £5000. I keep thinking I need the full 18kwh batteries but that makes a bike £18000 or so. I am thinking like many Zero owners of an ICE bike for longer journeys and a light nimble Zero for commute and fun. I am riding a KTM Duke 125 at the moment but I miss my 2012 Zero. I love no noise/gears/plug and play. 2019 I am told will be the same spec as 2018 only a colour change. Be great to hear real world distances for 7.2kwh bikes. I fear my 20 plus stone (290 pounds) 6'2" frame and eager riding will result in 35 mile max safe round trip? 2012 9kwh Zero S did 40 miles round trips but I never found out how much was in reserve still.

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 09:51:07 PM »

It is good that you are 6'2 because the DS is quite a tall bike compared to the S. My neighbour is into ICE bikes and he is older and shorter than me so had some difficulty straddling the DS.

You really should get more than 35 miles on a 7.2 battery but remember to ask the dealer to adjust the suspension for your specific weight.

I don't know what rumours there may have been for the 2019 Zero but my personal wish list would expect a 7.5 / 15.0 battery and hopefully some form of better onboard charging. LED lights can be left to aftermarket upgrades.
Pages: [1]