• May 07, 2024, 10:35:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Welp, finally snapped that belt  (Read 1104 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Welp, finally snapped that belt
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2022, 12:42:55 AM »

I once did a poll here (but was before the SR/F was available) about how many Zero belts have snapped. It was surprisingly very  low. Most Zero owners NEVER had a belt snap.  Many bikes had a lot of miles on the original belt.

In fact, the extra small belt on the 2016 DSR, Shadow,  the moderator here, wore his belt teeth down to nothing when he changed his belt. Never snapped.

I have wondered what makes some of these belts snap so soon. One reason could be Zero sometimes has them way too tight from the factory! I was just looking at a NEW Zero SR/S here in Reno, at Eurocycles. The belt was obviously way too tight, just like all the bolts on my Zeros. All way too tight. To the point that tools break trying to loosen some of them. 

I would be afraid to ride it a block with the belt that tight. No slack at all.

I don't believe for a second that Zero follows their own torque specs on new bikes, from what I have seem with mine. And the same goes with their belts, at least in some cases. See here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 05:24:35 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2022, 05:10:18 AM »

Mine was running at 55kg as I recall last time I measured it.

Cas :)

umrath

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2022, 01:25:45 PM »

In a parallel discussion on a discord channel regarding the same topic, sudden load changes appear to be a relevant factor for belts snapping.

So, if you ride nicely paved roads, you are probably less likely to encounter issues compared to someone on a bumpy road or riding in the wild, as you will have situations when the wheel is suddenly spinning free (and thus spinning up quickly) and then ever more suddenly stopping, when some solid surfaces is getting in contact with the tire and quickly decelerating it.
Zero SR/F Premium
(looking for a more offroad and touring capable solution)

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2022, 05:37:40 PM »

Definitely. Though this time, the road was smooth, and AFAICT, grit-free... it was just ordinary in every way. I think what it comes down to is that the belt Zero have specified is just not strong enough for the job.

Cas :)

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2022, 07:14:31 PM »

In my case, the area was repaved just a few months back and the surface was as smooth as they come. And totally flat too.

One factor that doesn’t help the longevity of these belts is the lack of a tight tolerance for the rear sprocket’s machining.

As mentioned by me in another thread on this forum, if you measure the roundness of the sprocket with a good caliper, you would find terrible highs and lows areas, as you turn the sprocket under the caliper.
Maybe mine was worse than most but I think the machining of this part is just poor.

I took my sprocket to an advanced machine shop to have two solid chain sprockets I had purchased to convert my bike to chain (to cut the big hole in the center and the 5 holes for the bolts to attach it to the wheel) and the machinist told me that when he “scanned” it with his machine —CAD— it showed to be quite off.

As an off-centric sprocket turns, the tension on the belt has to fluctuate and perhaps, on the bikes where this is more severe, the belt is more likely to snap.
This is pure speculation but something to think about specially if you keep the tension as recommended by Zero, on the high side.
I keep mine on the lower end of the range.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 07:16:59 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2022, 07:38:36 PM »

When I bought my 2018 S its belt was very tight as set at the factory (as was the belt on my 2014 S). Right at the upper limit of tension, 75Kg as I recall. When I took it in for the 600-mile servicing I asked the technician to check the tension and he verified that it was set properly. When I changed my rear tire at 6K miles, I reduced the tension to around 50Kg. So far at 10K miles the original belt is holding up and doesn't show any unusual wear.

For some reason the factory assemblers set the belt tension very high. But I have always seen the same thing when buying a new chain-drive ICE Japanese motorcycle. The chain slack would be undetectable and as soon as I returned home with the new bike I would loosen the chain to achieve the correct slack. The only reason that I can think why this is done is that maybe the factory believes that the owner will never check the chain after purchase and they somehow feel that setting it very tight will allow it to loosen up after a few thousand miles.  And of course any damage due to a tight chain would not be covered by the bike's warranty, since chains and bearings are considered "wear items" and are exempted from most motorcycle warranties.  >:( 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

alby62

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2022, 06:43:39 PM »

la  mia cintura  ha 45000km , e la cambierò quando sostituirò il pneumatico posteriore.  quella di dotazione l'ho cambiata  a  14000 km perchè l'ho spezzata  atterrando  da  un salto  con gas  aperto , appena  la  ruota  a toccato il terreno si è spezzata.
 cambiarla non è semplice  occorre togliere il forcellone .

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2022, 10:03:15 PM »

la  mia cintura  ha 45000km , e la cambierò quando sostituirò il pneumatico posteriore.  quella di dotazione l'ho cambiata  a  14000 km perchè l'ho spezzata  atterrando  da  un salto  con gas  aperto , appena  la  ruota  a toccato il terreno si è spezzata.
 cambiarla non è semplice  occorre togliere il forcellone .
Treanslates to:

"My belt has 45000km, and I will change it when I replace the rear tire. I changed the supplied one to 14000 km because I broke it landing from a jump with open gas, as soon as the wheel hit the ground and broke.
  changing it is not easy, it is necessary to remove the swingarm."
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2022, 06:36:56 PM »

On my DSR '16 the first belt broke at 4000km, there was a fault at the rear sprocket that slowly chewed away the belt. The sprocket was replaced under warranty, the belt wasn't. Second broke after 16kkm, lost traction off-road and when regaining traction suddenly (Stones under the sandy road) i heard a "Twang!" sound of the belt skipping a tooth. Tooth snapped right off and made it home but didn't make it to the dealer 40km's away because of the belt skipping more and more teeth, eventually snapping. Third belt at around 30kkm, just snapped on the highway at 100km/h. Luckily I was on the right lane. The fourth belt is still under, going strong at 46kkm.
To avoid being without a belt I ordered a spare one, so if it snaps it can be replaced directly whilst a new one can be ordered.

Anyway, switching to  chain soon. Will save a bit of stress when driving highways with an 'old' belt :P
Pages: 1 [2]