• May 07, 2024, 06:14:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hollywood Electrics Carbon Fiber Kit with lockable tank storage  (Read 3799 times)

grmarks

• View Profile
Re: Hollywood Electrics Carbon Fiber Kit with lockable tank storage
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »

I'm really interested in getting the lockable tank storage when I get my SR. I don't like the look of the tank bag, I think it looks kind of cheap. I was wondering though if it will ever come in other colors besides the carbon fiber? I would like mine to be just plain black. I don't want to deck my whole bike out in carbon fiber,  and just having the tank storage that color will not appeal to me.

It can be any color you want from the local hardware store/paint shop! Just paint it before you put it on.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 02:52:20 AM »

I decided not to bother with the Charge Tank (if I'm going to take a long trip I have two ICE bikes from which to choose) so I just placed my order for the tank cover.  Photos once I have it installed!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 06:56:29 AM »

Ta-da!!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2016, 07:23:17 AM »

Looks great :)

Does putting '17 body plastics on a '16 bike also include the new locking compartments?

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 07:42:05 AM »

Does putting '17 body plastics on a '16 bike also include the new locking compartments?

Yes, if you buy the tank from a 2017 bike it will fit on a 2013-2016 bike and you will get the locking tank....although....if you buy a 2017 bike the key for the tank is the same as the key for the ignition.  I guess you would have two different keys if you just bought a 2017 tank and put it on an older bike.  If you really wanted the key to be the same I suppose you could probably buy a new ignition switch at the same time as the new tank. Or maybe they can sell you a tank that works with the key you already have?
2014 Zero S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 07:46:45 AM »

Yes, if you buy the tank from a 2017 bike it will fit on a 2013-2016 bike and you will get the locking tank....although....if you buy a 2017 bike the key for the tank is the same as the key for the ignition.  I guess you would have two different keys if you just bought a 2017 tank and put it on an older bike.  If you really wanted the key to be the same I suppose you could probably buy a new ignition switch at the same time as the new tank. Or maybe they can sell you a tank that works with the key you already have?

It looks like the new tank lid takes a different lock, but if it's the same product line, then the keying can probably be transferred if you take the existing helmet lock apart (guessing from this howto video for helmet locks: ).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2016, 07:54:45 AM »

It looks like the new tank lid takes a different lock, but if it's the same product line, then the keying can probably be transferred if you take the existing helmet lock apart (guessing from this howto video for helmet locks: ).

The lock itself might be different but it definitely uses the same key as the ignition (as does the monolith storage if you get a S/DS6.5).  Since they take the same key type theoretically they should be able to set the tank lock to accept the key you already have for the ignition.  I was at a dealer today that has a 2017 Zero S ZF13 and checked it out.  I wish you didn't have to use the key every time to open it but unfortunately if you leave it unlocked the lid pops open (spring loaded).  Also, it comes with a little cable that you can use to lock your helmet to the bike.  There are little posts under the tank storage lid that you secure the cable to and then shutting the lid of the tank keeps the little cable tethered to the bike....kinda cool  8)
2014 Zero S

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2016, 08:27:16 PM »

It wont be a problem for a good locksmith to rekey it to match your existing ignition key.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »

Mr. Dude beat me to it.  Just have the tank lock tumbler repined to match your bikes key.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 02:25:11 AM »

Added carbon fiber hood latch and springs to the Hollywood Electrics tank cover. Its now functional and doesn't lift while riding....

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »

Nice work! How was it to plan and build?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »

I searched online for various latches and came across the carbon fiber hood latch, and decided to use L brackets to mount it.  I didnt measure anything just eyeballed it.  I thought of the springs to hold the cover down after magnets and velcro didnt work.  I like the way it is now, and I may have some room left in the tank after I install diginow eventually.
Pages: 1 2 [3]