• May 08, 2024, 06:17:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Any news?  (Read 9231 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Any news?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 09:27:41 PM »

I watched that video above and was interested to hear that when in "power mode" the projected range is only 29 miles. Perfect for bar to bar riding.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 09:28:28 AM »

I believe Harley has been on record saying their electric offering will be in the 20-25K range. I'm hoping it will have a huge 20+ kWh battery, and CCS charging. A true touring e-bike finally!

if its laid out like the livewire, the space constrant alone would limit it to 10kwh or less... 10 being generous.

You can't think like that (present day battery energy density) as it's extremely propable that this & any EV of the future (1-2+ years out) will have next generation battery that will yeild  a 2-3 time increase of power storage density.

Actually I can.
You see, YEARS before they will arrive in your mass produced warranted and insured vehicle, the component level product line needs to be up and running. I will know about that, simply because component level electronics is what I do...
When any production line of "solid state" lithium batteries start, I will be in on it asap. Both as an interested industry professional, and for personal investment. I am not knocking the potential, but I know its not here yet.

The closest we have right now is SolidEnergy Systems and I have some issues with them scaling up what they have to large production. Once they solve these issues... sure. But right now they're practically hand making batteries for niche markets, just like some other labs are. (although they are doing an excellent job selling themselves after this last VC round)

Ummmm, perhaps I need to calibrate my calendar.

I Guess I’ve been reading too much into story’s like Dyson bringing a totally different car to market in a mater of a few years.

This http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/dyson-3-electric-cars-coming-first-2021 latest story has solid state battery’s not available until 2025  :P

I SOOOO want an electric motorcycle with a solid state battery & all the advantages that will come with it.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2018, 04:48:44 AM »

I watched that video above and was interested to hear that when in "power mode" the projected range is only 29 miles. Perfect for bar to bar riding.   ::)

They invested in Alta.  So, maybe the same small battery pack, just adapted to cruiser frame?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 04:51:17 AM »

Speaking of H-D's future: it is not looking too good right now, no thanks to the President declaring a tariff war on the rest of the world and in particular the EU.  I believe that the EU is about the only location where H-D sales had been growing and that market would likely be a good one for any electric motorcycle that they might want to sell, as I believe that the Europeans have a greater appreciation of electric vehicles than we do in the U.S.  The EU says it will retaliate by imposing a 25% tariff on Harley-Davidson motorcycles (among other things).  That is not going to do anything good for H-D's sales and bottom line.  If this sticks, it is really going to be tough for them to make any money selling their new electric motorcycle and might even cause them to rethink their EV plans.

At least Zero seems to be off the EU's tariff radar, so hopefully their sales won't be affected.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2018, 04:25:41 AM »

Speaking of H-D's future: it is not looking too good right now, no thanks to the President declaring a tariff war on the rest of the world and in particular the EU.  I believe that the EU is about the only location where H-D sales had been growing and that market would likely be a good one for any electric motorcycle that they might want to sell, as I believe that the Europeans have a greater appreciation of electric vehicles than we do in the U.S.  The EU says it will retaliate by imposing a 25% tariff on Harley-Davidson motorcycles (among other things).  That is not going to do anything good for H-D's sales and bottom line.  If this sticks, it is really going to be tough for them to make any money selling their new electric motorcycle and might even cause them to rethink their EV plans.

At least Zero seems to be off the EU's tariff radar, so hopefully their sales won't be affected.

I think the EU is friendlier to pure-play electrics, like Zero and Tesla.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

igorbaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 09:04:23 PM »

Not only the EU - H-D sales in Brazil have grown so much in the last 10 years or so that they built a factory here. And it's still growing but, when it comes to electric motorcycles, I can't tell the same... The few Zero's we have are in the hands of some enthusiasts; nobody else seem to have interest in this type of vehicle. Hopefully an H-D electric motorcycle may bring some attention in the near future...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:28:11 PM by igorbaldo »
2010 Zero DS w/ belt drive
2010 Suzuki Burgman 400
1997 Honda NX 350 Sahara

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 01:24:22 AM »

Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2018, 01:55:41 AM »

Since they are targeting younger, read broke ... in debt up to their ears, riders ... I wonder what the bike will cost?

Honda wanted to sell its Element (I own one) to surfers ... that was their target market. Turns out they priced it way too high for them and no one bought it so they discontinued it in 2011 due to poor sales.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2018, 03:57:17 AM »

I was told today by a fellow that I know who tracks the industry (he used to be a magazine motorcycle reviewer) that H-D's EV will have a claimed 200-mile city cycle range and about half that on the highway.  Sounds like what I get from my Zero.  But I bet that the H-D EV will cost a lot more, though.  ;)

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2018, 11:55:29 AM »

With their investment in Alta, they have probably just leapfrogged the time to market.
Given this, Even if it happens to LOOK similar to the one from 2014, it will ( probably )
be entirely different underneath. On the Plus side, Harley has not had a lot of success
with sport type entries so they will probably offer a less sport oriented riding position.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »

And can you imagine how their retail dealers will be promoting anything electric powered?  I bet the EV gets displayed in a showroom dumpster, or hidden away in a closet like they did with the Buells.  :(  And training a H-D mechanic to work on an electric vehicle should be interesting.  ;) I wonder how many will survive the training?   ::)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2018, 08:05:26 PM »

And can you imagine how their retail dealers will be promoting anything electric powered?  I bet the EV gets displayed in a showroom dumpster, or hidden away in a closet like they did with the Buells.  :(  And training a H-D mechanic to work on an electric vehicle should be interesting.  ;) I wonder how many will survive the training?   ::)

exactly.
there will be one guy... Yeah, talk to Ted, hes the electric guy.  Then after you buy your bike, Ted quits from being overworked as the only electric guy.
3 years later they stop carrying the bikes "because they dont sell"... meanwhile they make no effort to sell them.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2018, 10:34:17 PM »

So, the HD Electric will be just like most of the auto showrooms.
" Yeah, I think that there is one SOMEWHERE around here. "

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2018, 08:33:59 PM »

exactly.
there will be one guy... Yeah, talk to Ted, hes the electric guy.  Then after you buy your bike, Ted quits from being overworked as the only electric guy.
3 years later they stop carrying the bikes "because they dont sell"... meanwhile they make no effort to sell them.

This is exactly what happened at the dealership where I bought my first Zero.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:09:18 AM by nevetsyad »
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2018, 03:20:02 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7