• May 06, 2024, 10:33:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2013 S w/ dead battery: free to good home (New Hyde Park, NY)  (Read 719 times)

Gains

• View Profile
Re: 2013 S w/ dead battery: free to good home (New Hyde Park, NY)
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 02:14:09 PM »

My 2013 S had also a dead battery,this was because of a bad DC-DC converter .The 12V came on with contact off,by the time I found it, it was to late. It was during the lockdown, and i thought nothing could happen ,the bike was warm and the battery was charged .A month later it was dead.I opened the battery and tried to recharge very slowly,it took days,but in every brick ,the last cell was finally gone.
I even opened one brick to check if there was any way to replace one cell. No way, the cells are all in a block of epoxy (or some other resin )and the bad ones where completely swollen.
Conclusion :you can t repair a zero battery that has one or more completely dead cells.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 07:20:09 PM »

True on the bad cell point.

I hadn't heard of a DC=DC converter just coming on.  That's interesting.

I want to say Electric Terry and I think all the Police models had a switch on the DC power out line from the converter which could turn off all of the 12volt functions but either allow the bike to charge with after market chargers in Terry's case or running speed check points without having their lights on as a warning on the Police bikes.

AutoE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 09:06:36 PM »

another known defect.

Gains

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 10:41:12 PM »

I know someone else who had this problem. The converter doesn t need the  engage signal ,if it has the input voltage ,it makes 12V.
I have both converters in my garage, who knows I can use them some day for some project.
Maybe for longterm storage ,it is better to remove the low power fuse, just in case.

Electric_Adventures

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 06:05:23 AM »

Just curious, came across this thread and I’m interested in picking this up.  Is there any advantage/disadvantage other than price that you know of to go with this adapter over the OEM Zero one?
2017 Zero DS ZF13.0

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 07:07:11 AM »

Just curious, came across this thread and I’m interested in picking this up.  Is there any advantage/disadvantage other than price that you know of to go with this adapter over the OEM Zero one?

Also Tucson EV  $81 with free shipping  , just scroll to "J1772  To Zero adapter" : https://tucsonev.com/index.html
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 09:37:34 AM »

I'm not 100% sure what your asking.
The adapter I linked to is a J1772 to C13 setup which is what is needed to use a charging station, either home or public, and the lower on-board charger.
Note: not the SRF or SRS or bikes with a charge tank which has a built in female J1772 plug for charging stations.
The OP made it sound like they didn't have a (115 volt) wall outlet to use to charge where he parked.  This is why the battery got so low.

If you meant is this plug setup better than the computer style cord that comes with the Zero to plug the bike into the wall then no it's not better just has a different use.

If you talking about the same plug setup that Zero used to sell vs the one I linked to I doubt Zero made them just sold them.  They may have commissioned them to be made since I don't know what else used that C13 setup.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:40:15 AM by NEW2elec »

swiftsam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 09:41:07 PM »

After Zero consulted remotely with the shop at Gold Coast, everyone agreed that the battery voltage was so low that it was not recoverable.  Definitely bummed to have lost it and from a preventable error, but we worried about different things in NYC in March.  I was happy to find someone here who has the resources and interest to see what can be made of it. TEV will have to tell the rest of the story. This has been a great community for the length of the 8 years I've been riding Zero!
2013 S ZF14.4

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »

After Zero consulted remotely with the shop at Gold Coast, everyone agreed that the battery voltage was so low that it was not recoverable.  Definitely bummed to have lost it and from a preventable error, but we worried about different things in NYC in March.  I was happy to find someone here who has the resources and interest to see what can be made of it. TEV will have to tell the rest of the story. This has been a great community for the length of the 8 years I've been riding Zero!

Perfect timing,  I just measure it, and the battery voltage is 4.9V, so the battery is indeed dead.
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 12:04:51 AM »

Damn shame, but certainly a cautionary tale for the rest of us.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: 1 [2]