• May 04, 2024, 11:33:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My first REAL issue.  (Read 3644 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
My first REAL issue.
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:48:59 PM »

My first real issue with my 2016 Zero S since I brought it home nearly two years ago. According to the EXCELLENT log parser tool at https://zero-motorcycle-community.github.io/browser-parse/zero-log-parser.html I have a chassis isolation fault on cells 0 & 3. The dealer will be coming to pick it up on Wednesday.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Lenny

• View Profile
Re: My first REAL issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 02:30:31 AM »

Those messages appear in my logs regularly. I think there's no need to worry about them. The bike constantly tries to measure insulation against all of the cells, however insulation measurment is kind of a tricky thing. You'll need very high voltages to get accurate values when trying to measure high resistances. In germany, we use 1000 V devices for measurements of electric tools etc. I guess Zero doesn't have such a device on their bike, so they rely on simpler methods, which sometimes generates warnings which is what you see in your log.

If I remember correctly, there is also a dash error code once there is a serious insulation error which needs to be taken care of.
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 03:19:54 AM »

This was pointed out to me on Facebook.  As I responded there, the warning light has been flashing incessantly since the last time I parked it.  That's the only reason i downloaded the logs and those were the only errors I found on a quick glance of the output.  By the way, I also discovered I have Firmware Revision 52, which is also the one that started having issues with the SOC, projected range and discharge readouts.  From what I've been hearing, Revision 53 is current, but not only doesn't fix those problems, but introduces even more.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:51:58 PM »

I also had the isolation errors, which eventually resulted in the bike not arming the speed regulator any more. Turned out that if the on-board chargers is flaky then the isolation errors show. Had me puzzled because I fail to see any connection between cell-to-chassis isolation and the charger but hey, the replacement seemed to have fixed my problems so i'm not complaining anymore :P

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 09:24:18 PM »

They just hauled my bike away.  Guess I'll find out what's wrong soon enough.  I'll keep everyone posted.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »

My MY13 SR I replaced use to freak out in the rain ... and I would ignore it.

The overheating, error, and green light would all flash at different frequencies and counts ... this was caused by an isolation error and who knows what else because I chose to ride in the rain / snow / sleet / etc. Thankfully this only tended to happen with a good down pour or after an hour of riding in a moderate rain.

On my new MY17 DSR I was in very light rain and the bike error code started to flash at me (I now ride with A set to error code because of this) and it was throwing a 20 error code ... BMS isolation ... go figure. When the bike dried out it was fine.

I did see water on my SBS75X connector but didn't bother looking over all the bike connectors to see which had water in them. I plan to better isolate the bikes connectors from water / weather in the future as I don't like weather caused errors :/

What error code was your bike throwing to the display?

Oh, and my firmware is not up to date (thank gods) so I don't have the range / soc issues that come with it being updated. :D
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 01:11:40 AM »

Just got off the phone with the dealer.  Apparently they had to call the factory to discuss the errors they found in the logs.  They're waiting to get a call back.  It is 3:12 PM Eastern time on March 30.  Let's see how long this takes, and what the problem turns out to be...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »

Zero has apparently been rather unresponsive on this.  The service department is escalating the issue with the dealership principals to see if they can get a response.  This sucks big time...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 02:15:09 AM »

Spoke to the owner of the dealership.  He told me they've place SIX calls in to Zero and have yet to receive any kind of a response.  He is going to raise "Holy Hell" with them when they open on Monday and will get back to me.  I'll keep everyone posted.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 01:05:32 AM »

Haven't yet heard back from the dealer, but I used the "Customer Contact" link on Zero's web page to E-Mail them about the situation.  I received an automated response back at 11:16 AM this morning saying that my information was "shared with the appropriate Zero Motorcycles representative."

They also gave a couple of phone numbers to call, but I'll hold off on that for 48 hours.  If I don't hear anything from either them or the dealer, however, I WILL be calling.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 06:47:56 AM »

Latest update.  Spoke to both the Service Manager and the owner principal and both told me they've started calling Zero every two hours for two days straight, without getting any callback.  Finally, they spoke to their regional Zero representative who was apparently both surprised and appalled at this story.

They told me to call the dealership on Monday at 11:00.  If they haven't heard anything from Zero they will give me a name and number that I can call DIRECTLY and unload on.  We're going on a month now with NOTHING happening.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »

Zero has a severe issue going on with 2012 bikes being recalled due to fire risk, so I'm not too surprised at all to hear that it is hard to get a hold of them the past few weeks.  Did you ask the dealer to turn on the bike to see if the isolation issues went away?  If so I would pick it up for now and take it home to ride and bring it back in a few weeks, or when all this recall stuff settles down.

Any time my bike gets wet I have isolation flashes for a couple days but they always go away eventually so I don't worry about it too much.   I wish Zero could hire more people in their service department, but with the limited resources, I totally get why its hard to get a hold of them right now.  Another 2012 bike in the UK caught fire Friday, so I'm sure the next 2 weeks, anyone who was not on this before, will be now calling 2012 owners and arranging pickup.  So if it was hard to get a hold of them the last 2-3 weeks, it will be even harder this next week since the fire Friday.  This is perhaps the most serious thing Zero has ever faced and so most other things are being put on the backburner temporarily.  So just be patient with them right now.  That's why I just suggest taking your bike home from the dealer for now so you can ride it and bring it back in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:08:53 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 06:03:08 PM »

I would BUT the last time I rode it, it also made a very strange sound.  Considering how quiet it usually is, I found that to be very unnerving...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 10:05:47 PM »

Gotcha, ok makes sense.  Hopefully someone from Zero will get back to your dealer soon.  I hate thinking about being without your bike for too much longer right at the beginning of spring.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 09:33:14 PM »

Spoke to the Service Manager and he said they FINALLY spoke to a Zero technician.  They are hoping to have an update for me today at 2:00 Eastern time.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1] 2 3