• May 04, 2024, 09:51:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: NYT reviews the Zero SR w/ PT  (Read 2150 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: NYT reviews the Zero SR w/ PT
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 06:10:38 AM »

Bummer. Thanks for the info and sorry for the hijack.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ReeveSteves

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 11:20:01 PM »

You may not have looked while you had the headlight off, but did you see if it would be possible to drill another hole in the flange, or otherwise make the fork lock work on the right side as well? I remember the fork lock on my previous bikes were just a pin that went through a hole in a flange to lock the fork in place.
I don't remember a pin and I might be completely wrong but I don't think it could be modified to lock on the right side without some serious metal work.  Here's a picture showing where the lock was refusing to extend past the ridge when cranked to the left.

Thread officially hijacked.

Since it's already hijacked - the picture isn't working. My fork lock stopped engaging the other day and I haven't had a chance to look at it - the dealer is far enough away that I'd like to fix this myself if possible. It feels jammed. Is removing the headlight simple enough?

ut-zero

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 02:02:48 AM »

Is removing the headlight simple enough?
Yes.  I can't remember if I had the forks off when I fixed it, but if you're comfortable with a grinder or a dremel, it should be easy.  You might have to replace a couple of zip ties.

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 06:46:35 AM »

Yes, thanks for the NYT reference.

My wife and I have the 2014 DS, mine with a powertank and her's without. I had over 1,000 miles on my bike when I rode her bike ~40 miles from Daly City to our home. I easily noted the difference in bike handling, specifically ease of turning, between them. The extra 40# up high raises the bike's vertical CG, possibly around 3-4" . The powertank bike seems to "fall" more into the turn and requires more effort to pull out of it. I was surprised the service tech also noted the difference, checking my bike to ensure freedom of movement for the front end. He rarely rides the powertank version, hence his comments.

I have a sport windshield and that, too, would exaggerate the heavier weight and CG shift on the powertank bike.

I also installed 2" ROC risers to achieve my preferred riding position. The right grip unit electrical cable restricts the addition of any rise beyond 2" additional height, at least on my bike.
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com
Pages: 1 [2]