• May 14, 2024, 08:23:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FXE BMS Reset and Stall While Riding  (Read 573 times)

Floki

• View Profile
FXE BMS Reset and Stall While Riding
« on: October 12, 2022, 05:06:48 AM »

I’m the second owner of an FXE I recently bought with around 350 miles on it. I’m at about 500 miles now and loving the bike. But yesterday I encountered my first glitch and thought I’d share here. I charged the bike to 100% and set off for a nice ride. Getting close to home on the way back it was at about 20% charge as I slowed for a turn in city traffic. Midway through the turn and the bike loses power completely for about 2 or 3 seconds. I coasted through the turn and was looking for a spot to stop when it came back to life and made it home without further problems. I parsed the logs and spotted where it happened around 16:46:36. I’d like to hope this won’t become a regular occurrence and I’ll be contacting the dealer to have it looked at. This is my first Zero and I’m new to this data parsing and understanding what it means, but the BMS reset stood out. Please let me know if I’m missing something else obvious.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 05:16:49 AM by Floki »
2022 Zero FXE
2011 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 SE

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: FXE BMS Reset and Stall While Riding
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 05:41:07 AM »

I would say the BMS reset is normal and happens when the bike is keyed on. If that wasn't a point when you physically turned the key (which is what the bike thinks happened) then it could be a dodgy connection somewhere, and the fact it happened during a turn where wires will be bent and pulled also points to this.

Floki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 11:09:49 AM »

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense that it’s a loose connection. It has now happened two more times. Once backing out of my driveway while turning the bars slightly. Another time doing a slight turn at low speed. The strange thing is, I did some very sharp turns in an empty parking lot to test it and it was fine. Also ran it over some washboard surface to see if the vibration would cause it. Again fine. So it only seems to happen in normal turning at low speed. Puzzling. I hope the dealer is good at solving puzzles. It’s troubling. I’m finding it a real joy and I hate to think they may have to tear it apart looking for a loose connection.
2022 Zero FXE

Floki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 10:03:45 AM »

Updating status on this in case anyone is having a similar problem. My FXE has been at the dealer for two weeks now and is currently waiting on a new ignition switch to arrive. The tech used a multimeter and manipulated the wiring harness to conclude that the problem is a faulty connection within the ignition switch, probably caused by over tightening of the zip ties securing the harness during assembly. So far the dealer has been great and has kept me updated well. We are hoping the switch will arrive next week. I’ll continue to update until resolved.
2022 Zero FXE

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 06:33:25 AM »

Good to hear the dealer mechanic has been able to track down the fault.   I wonder if the previous owner had the issue and either their dealer couldn't find the issue or the owner just decided to dump the bike because they didn't want to deal with it?

Floki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 09:18:23 AM »

That question has occurred to me too, however the dealer I took it to is the same one who sold it originally. The non-Zero dealer I bought it from told me the first owner didn’t do their homework on the FXE and ended up disappointed in the range and charge time, so they traded it in on a new Energica. Sounds plausible, but I suppose the stalling could have been an undisclosed reason.
2022 Zero FXE

Floki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 03:51:48 AM »

Closing the loop on this (I hope permanently), I’ve had my FXE back for a week and it seems to be cured, no more stalls. The ignition switch was replaced under warranty. It was diagnosed by the tech wiggling the switch wiring while using an Ohm meter to find intermittent continuance across the “power on” circuit. Failure almost certainly caused by over tightened zip ties securing the wire harness. I’m sure mine won’t be the only one with this problem, so I hope this information will help others. My dealer is New Century Motorcycles in Alhambra, CA. Excellent service on this problem.
2022 Zero FXE

Bodo

• FXE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 04:44:02 PM »

Thanks for this heads up Floki. That error's symptoms sound worrying and expensive. Good that the cure wasn't.
Pages: [1]