• May 06, 2024, 07:11:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2013 MMX vs FX  (Read 1961 times)

Burton

• View Profile
2013 MMX vs FX
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »

Recently I have been seriously considering getting an FX and was turned on to a press release by Zero about the MMX by Terry.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/press-releases/may-08-2013-mmx-military-motorcycle.html

2013 Zero MMX Military Motorcycle – Key Features
  • •Specialized military dash for quick and centralized mainline controls
  • •Keyless ignition engaged with dash toggle for quicker departure
  • •Modular and quick-swappable power packs
  • •Wet operational abilities in up to one meter submersion
  • •Switchable headlight for night-time stealth
  • •Integrated wiring to accommodate quick installation of front and rear infrared systems
  • •Safety override and reserve power capabilities to extend range during extreme situations
  • •Aggressive foot pegs and hand guards for optimal control
  • •Tie down eyelets with integrated tow cable and rear seat strap

This got me really excited with plans to make my own panel and make my bile 100% offroad and rugged. I have plans on using the two FX modules on my 2013 bike for increased touring ranges and decided to dig deeper and found this.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=190

At this point I was very confused as the battery panel says "Do not submerge" but the specs above say "Wet operational abilities in up to one meter submersion" :/

I sent an email to Harlan and inquired about this because secretly I wanted to be able to do stream crossings with the FX like I have done on my ICE bikes in the past and he recommended against submersion.

So what are the differences between the MMX and FX that you can nearly fully submerge the MMX but not the FX?

I know we likely will never know but I would really love to know. If I was told "You need to remove all HUD, chargers, blinkers, and install enclosed lighting if any" I would do it. Or I would do it in such a way I could "plug" them back into place modularly if I wanted to use it on-road (which isn't my intention). But, having the modules indicate they cannot be submerged leads me to think maybe the MMX had a lot more protections against water than the FX has.

Thoughts?
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

steven_first

• View Profile
Re: 2013 MMX vs FX
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:25:24 PM »

I was recently curious about clarification on my 2015 FX and its water immersion levels.  As a general rule of thumb up to the skid plate is ok.  I couldn't help but think about an interview that Zero did that mentioned that they submerged a battery overnight with no issues.  (I don't know if this was an FX module or a monolith) I am sure there are plenty of things that can be done to increase the IP rating of the bike as a whole such as lots of dielectric grease and silicone sealant. 

With the MMX I would suspect that all electrics are the same in rating but they just have better water seals.  I think one of the reasons that Zero can change how it feels about water from the FX to the MMX is quantity.  If you put out 200 FX models and state that they can do 1 meter immersion some of them are going to fail just because and then some people will think 1 meter is 2 or 3 meters or think "screw it; it's a boat now".  With an MMX, it is probably much lower in quantity so special attention can be paid to its systems and waterproofing.  Not to mention that someones life may be relying on this thing working right.  Warranty is probably another mater as well.       

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 12:00:41 AM »

The difference is in the electronic overrides.

When you get the fx wet it will flash the triangle around the ! Point very rapidly. On the stock bike when this happenss it will typically leave you died on The spot the mmx doesn't have a speedo dash, lighting harness, non of which matters for this conversation but The mmx does have ride-throughs a which will prevent the mbb from cutting power doing this or that. It will ride through the warning lights even if it WILL harm the bike. In a military situation you sent worried about killing the bike or battery but more about your hinny.

I've have done some creek crossing on a few of my bikes. They will do it if you move swiftly I would t reccomend getting water up to the battery level because the controller would be underwater. Would nt even worry about the motor honestly.

I do know that you can run the earlier bikes (2012 and before) altrax bikes without mbb completely underwater,

Or well I should say they will still function on the bottom of a pool....
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 12:06:23 AM »

mmx also has the bigger motor (street motor) and will spank the shit outta the fx in takeoff
And to take it the step farther

I bet my size 6  with dirt suspension tires on dirt hardback would smoke a fx on stock tires on the street (their 0-60 mph in 4 sec)

The mmx from the fx is almost equivalent to 12 mx vs 13 fx 0-40mph

I've been riding a size 6 dirt for a while now and I doubt there is a faster dirt bike period. Even the people who put dirt tires on 600cc street bikes, I'd eat then.... 87 ft lbs is no joke, I go bushwacking up the steepest of hills barely ever get to 3/4 throttle.
Half throttle your already riding the bike like superman
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 02:18:09 AM »

I wondered what the override was on the panel for
http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/Zero-Motorcycles-MMX-dash.jpg
http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/MMX-2.jpg

Some of my ICE buddies have already started to poke fun at my bike by saying I will electrocute myself on a small stream crossing. The one in question was like to just cover the motor in my case but my motor is ventilated.

I was more concerned with sucking something into it and jamming it up than the water :D

Wonder if there would be a way to better protect the electronics from water but not overheat them for more extreme riding. Maybe make enclosures for other items and gasket / grease wires going into them? Idk.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 04:15:34 AM »

Technically you can make a bike with the dash do the same as a the mmx as far as the ridethroughs but you would be at risk of hurting the bike, batteries to etc. si. Some of the early ones bikes floored them selves, I I would really doubt you ever have any issues with the 13 and newer, they have come a long way

I wouldn't do it with your ventilated motor., if the encoder angle had more silicone on it and the motor covers had more silicone to keep water out of the seams there shouldn't be much of an issue.

I really don't worry about little creeks.  If it's deep the front wheel better be up help keep controller out of the water

I wouldn't ride the s off-road the ds forsure

The fx/ mmx motor tune is what your after maybe Harlen can sell you such a thing
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:24:49 AM by Cortezdtv »
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 05:42:35 AM »

It seems to me that two birds - overheating and water-fouling of electronics - might be killed (or at least wounded) with one stone; air pressure. Wiring connections, battery plugs, etc. would still need waterproofing, of course.

Here's something I found in a few minutes searching online, as a rough example only:

http://www.clarksol.com/html/boxerseries3111_3211pump.cfm

Obviously proper pump / snorkel placement, air intake / filtration, 'plumbing', activation circuitry, etc. would have to be worked out, but a small amount of air pressure & flow in all the right places might make a world of difference when riding in the rain, at high motor / controller temps, or traversing a swamp under enemy fire.

Ray

'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:52:57 PM »

While on the thinking pot I was looking at the MMX again to see what the current version claims were since the batteries say not to submerge and dealers say not to do water crossings.

Found this http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/fleet/2015/2015-zero-mmx-brochure-us.pdf

And it clearly states One meter submersion but controller (and whatever else) still in stock position. I have seen photos of the MMX crossing a stream more than halfway submerged >_<

It also mentioned "enhanced weatherproofing" as another highlighted feature. ... um yes please!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:04:43 PM by Burton »

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »

Sure says 1 meter

I wouldn't want to hangout in 1 m with the battery on the bike

If you were moving swiftly through 1 meter it might make it, I'd like to see it.... Is that covered under warrantee?
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
Pages: [1]