• May 07, 2024, 10:23:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: squeaking rear break, how i fixed it  (Read 1218 times)

arno

• View Profile
squeaking rear break, how i fixed it
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »

The last weeks i more and more often heard a squeaking noise from the rearbrake of my 2014 SR, espacially when pushing it into garage. Additional there comes a special noise from the holes of the brake disc when braking only slightly at low speeds.
A kind of rattling.
I removed the brakepads (its only one screw to release) and saw the reason :
Pads contain small pieces of brass wires and at the edges of the pads tiny wire ends stand up like little springs and cause that noise. An edge has developed.
I took a rasp and smoothened the edges in a 45 degree angle, not much, about 1  mm so that a bezel can be seen.
The effective breaking surface is reduced nearly not by that.
i checked it, the squeaking and rattling has dissapeared.

Are there other brakepads availble without brass addon ?

trekguy

• View Profile
Re: squeaking rear break, how i fixed it
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »

Mine squeak too when pushing it into the garage. I think I hear the squeaking at very low speeds as well. Next time I feel like it, I'll have a local bike shop use your remedy of repair.

Thanks

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:50:29 PM »

The last weeks i more and more often heard a squeaking noise from the rearbrake of my 2014 SR, espacially when pushing it into garage. Additional there comes a special noise from the holes of the brake disc when braking only slightly at low speeds.
A kind of rattling.
I removed the brakepads (its only one screw to release) and saw the reason :
Pads contain small pieces of brass wires and at the edges of the pads tiny wire ends stand up like little springs and cause that noise. An edge has developed.
I took a rasp and smoothened the edges in a 45 degree angle, not much, about 1  mm so that a bezel can be seen.
The effective breaking surface is reduced nearly not by that.
i checked it, the squeaking and rattling has dissapeared.

Are there other brakepads availble without brass addon ?

Arno I think someone on the forum tried that but the squeaking came back.  Some say it will go away after a little wear in but mine has not yet.  I think I'll tried your fix.  Also I talked to a mechanic that works on motorcycles and he say a lot of them does it these days due to something I can't remember but he did recommend "organic" pads.

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:42:49 PM »

Hollywood Electric fixed mine. They disassembled, cleaned, lube portions and but a coating on the disk. Haven't heard it since. I've put a couple hundred miles since then.

tommi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:28:44 AM »

Thanks Arno. Tried it and so far so good. I've been getting a bit tired driving slowly through my quiet neighborhood with the soundtrack from Psycho :-/
Using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]